Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I'm having trouble choosing between the 9 and .45 version of the xds 4.0. I have a xdm .45 compact right now and I'm looking for something a bit lighter and smaller for carry. I'll still keep the xdm compact when I buy the xds. Local shop is having a sale on them next week and I plan to pick one up.

The 9mm is what I was originally planning to get until I just realized they had the 4.0 in .45 while browsing the website. Last I knew they just had the 9mm in 4.0 so this must of been a recent release? I'm sort of leaning towards the 9mm just to have a variety, but having the .45 with me while carrying would be nice. Although the capacity is pretty low.

Anyone want to convince me to go either way? :confused:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I personally already have an XDs in .45, but in your situation I'd go with the 9mm so I could have a carry gun in each caliber.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
.45 will have a little snap. Standard capacity with flush mags is 5 in .45 and 7 in 9mm I believe. Extended mag raises both two.

I vote .45, because America.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why decide? Get both. Problem solved....
Bank account can't afford it. Otherwise I'd get an xds and a p226.

I have shot both. The 45 is not something I could enjoy shooting all day at the range. The 9mm however shoots much softer.

With the 9mm you get 8 rds regular and10rds with the extended mag.

I just couldn't get over how little capacity the xds 45 had. 5 rds too me was not enough.
I have shot the .45 in 3.3" before and was manageable and I enjoyed it, but certainly punished the hand after about 100 rounds. I have not had a chance to shoot a 9mm version, but it's what I'm leaning towards. The capacity is another reason the 9 looks more appealing.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have shot the .45 in 3.3" before and was manageable and I enjoyed it, but certainly punished the hand after about 100 rounds. I have not had a chance to shoot a 9mm version, but it's what I'm leaning towards. The capacity is another reason the 9 looks more appealing.
I own both, sold the xdm for the XDS no regrets much lighter and smaller gun.
Definitely the 9mm is a smooth shooter, the 45 is great but my hand starts to sore after 50 rnds. If you looking for a EDC I would say the 3.3 45.acp.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

I just couldn't get over how little capacity the xds 45 had. 5 rds too me was not enough.
Now, now - if you are going to count the +1 for the 9mm, you have to count the +1 for the .45... :mrgreen:

So, it is 6 vs 8 / 8 vs 10 - not that much difference, to be honest, is it? I mean, what's two rounds among friends? Truth be told, if you are concerned about magazine capacity, a single-stack pocket gun is the *wrong* platform entirely!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now, now - if you are going to count the +1 for the 9mm, you have to count the +1 for the .45... :mrgreen:

So, it is 6 vs 8 / 8 vs 10 - not that much difference, to be honest, is it? I mean, what's two rounds among friends? Truth be told, if you are concerned about magazine capacity, a single-stack pocket gun is the *wrong* platform entirely!
Seeking better conceal-ability, but the capacity is a nice to have. I've had the xdm 3.8 .45 for 2 years now (I think) and I can carry that, but it's just really heavy and a little thicker than I want anymore. I've had the xds on my list for at least a year now. I have a chance to snag it around 450 next week which I think will be perfect chance to pick one up. I just can't decide if the .45 or 9 is the way to go. I think I'm pretty sold on the 4.0 though instead of the 3.3, and I'll probably go bi-tone this time as my xdmC is all black.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Seeking better conceal-ability, but the capacity is a nice to have. I've had the xdm 3.8 .45 for 2 years now (I think) and I can carry that, but it's just really heavy and a little thicker than I want anymore. I've had the xds on my list for at least a year now. I have a chance to snag it around 450 next week which I think will be perfect chance to pick one up. I just can't decide if the .45 or 9 is the way to go. I think I'm pretty sold on the 4.0 though instead of the 3.3, and I'll probably go bi-tone this time as my xdmC is all black.
I hear you - for me, a single-stack is the way to go. I got my XDs .45 before the 9mm was released but even if it had been, I'd probably still have bought the .45. Ditto on the 3.3 vs 4.0.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got the XD-S 9mm 3.3 Thursday. I was having trouble deciding what to get initially too. I have a family that I want to be able to handle my firearms as well as myself. Therefore I felt lower recoil was the better option.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm leaning towards the 9mm. I will update y'all on what I go with. If the cards are played right I should be getting it tomorrow or sometime this week. Thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You are correct. I failed to include the plus 1 on the 45 acp.
I always carry a spare mag so for me the 2 extra rounds are worth it.

With the 9mm, I get 7+9+1=17.
With the 45acp, I would be getting 5+7+1=13.

2 extra rounds add up when you carry spare magazines.

I made the switch to the Xds 9mm from a 45acp as a ccw because in all reality when using quality hollow point ammunition, both rounds are designed to penetrate between 12 and 18 inches after expanding.

I also switched to the 9mm because expansion between the 2 are a difference of .2 inches going to the 45 acp.

For me in my opinion, it was not worth the sacrifice of losing 4 extra rounds when carrying a spare magazine as well as the increased recoil which slightly slows up my follow up shots for .2 inches of expansion when seconds count.
I couldn't agree more, especially about the (lack of) difference between the 9mm and .45ACP. Problem is, I'm so old school that my head may know it but my gut can't accept it - well, not enough to ditch my XDs .45 and replace it with a 9mm. So my head knows those 4 rounds are better to have than the bigger round, but my gut says "just carry 2 spare extended mags and now you have 3 more rounds than you would if you carried a 9mm with one spare mag!"

Yeah, I know... :-|

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I faced this same dilemma when I was looking at the XDs only mine was for the 3.3. I shot the .45 version and liked it but couldn't justify the loss of two rounds. I had already made the choice to sacrifice rounds in my first gun since I went with the .40 S&W over 9mm. I decided upon the 3.3 9mm because of round count and the above mentioned less recoil for family members. The .45 recoil did not bother me, I shoot a XDsc in .40 S&W, but I wanted something for my wife to shoot as well. Besides 9mm ammo is much cheaper to practice with... After putting several rounds down range, I am perfectly happy with my choice. I even like it better than my dad's 9mm Shield, which was the other gun I was seriously considering.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I couldn't agree more, especially about the (lack of) difference between the 9mm and .45ACP. Problem is, I'm so old school that my head may know it but my gut can't accept it...
That's kind of how I am. Hard to think of carrying anything less than a .45 for me, but the capacity is so appealing for the 9mm variant when comparing the two. Apart from ammo price, and more controllable recoil it just feels like a better way to go for the 9mm.

I faced this same dilemma when I was looking at the XDs only mine was for the 3.3. I shot the .45 version and liked it but couldn't justify the loss of two rounds. I had already made the choice to sacrifice rounds in my first gun since I went with the .40 S&W over 9mm. I decided upon the 3.3 9mm because of round count and the above mentioned less recoil for family members. The .45 recoil did not bother me, I shoot a XDsc in .40 S&W, but I wanted something for my wife to shoot as well. Besides 9mm ammo is much cheaper to practice with... After putting several rounds down range, I am perfectly happy with my choice. I even like it better than my dad's 9mm Shield, which was the other gun I was seriously considering.
Agreed. I've also shot the shield and while it was nice the xd line just feels so much better in my hand. The shield's trigger was also a bit weird for me in how it's designed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have shot both. The 45 is not something I could enjoy shooting all day at the range. The 9mm however shoots much softer.

I have the xds 4.0 .45. I'll take the 5+1 and 7+1 mags in .45 over the 9mm any day. And I don't feel under gunned. Should one carry an extra mag.Yes. I don't feel the need to go about business armed to the teeth.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts