• Whole Barrel

• Extraction Port

• None

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was curious to see how many of you stripped the whole barrel or just did the exposed extraction port? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That looks great! I did the exposed portion of my barrell, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as that. Did you use the Jewlers rouge and a dremell? Or sandpaper with some other abrasive compund?

Raymond

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wow i must say that that looks really nice. Personally for me I like blued everything but that is for me. Maybe if I get a couple more I might have to do one like that. Definitely catch some eyes. That is some nice shinny polish job you got going on.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Wow! Shiney. Me likes. Not on the whole gun though, but that there barrel, very nice.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I just did exposed part, so the othe rparts would still be offered some rust protection. still

·
Registered
298 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the extraction port on the slide? Are you talking about the chamber on the barrel vs. the whole barrel?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the "semi-finished" product :D It came out well.

Sorry for the bad pic. When I get my camera back from Canon I will take some better shots. What do you guys think? :D

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
What type of steel are XD barrels? I assume they are not stainless due to the finishing treatment. I admit that Crucials fully polished barrel looks good, but will it last once he fires it? Wear marks? Also what methods did Crucials use? Just sandpaper ro did he finish with soem polishing compound?

·
Registered
249 Posts
manygunner said:
What type of steel are XD barrels? I assume they are not stainless due to the finishing treatment. I admit that Crucials fully polished barrel looks good, but will it last once he fires it? Wear marks?
Polishing the barrel does absolutely no harm at all to the weapon. None. Nada. The points of wear on the barrel quickly lose all the black finish once you fire the weapon anyway. The finish on the remainder of the barrel is so thin anyway it provides little if no protection of any sort. I've polished every XD barrel I've had and they work great and have never had a speck of rust on them with just normal maintenance. No extraordinary measures needed. I keep a lite layer of oil on it as I would if it were black. It's all a matter of taste. If you like the look do it without fear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sweeeet! I think I would try this on mine, if I was sure I could get that high polished mirrored look he got with his. Now what tools, scotchbright , or whatever did you use exactly to get this barrel to be this polished? I gots to Know. Tell me. Tell me. :p How about a step by step procedure with pictures. Yes, we must have pictures. :wink:

·
Registered
173 Posts
A_Med said:
manygunner said:
What type of steel are XD barrels? I assume they are not stainless due to the finishing treatment. I admit that Crucials fully polished barrel looks good, but will it last once he fires it? Wear marks?
Polishing the barrel does absolutely no harm at all to the weapon. None. Nada. The points of wear on the barrel quickly lose all the black finish once you fire the weapon anyway. The finish on the remainder of the barrel is so thin anyway it provides little if no protection of any sort. I've polished every XD barrel I've had and they work great and have never had a speck of rust on them with just normal maintenance. No extraordinary measures needed. I keep a lite layer of oil on it as I would if it were black. It's all a matter of taste. If you like the look do it without fear.
I don't think he's saying that plishing a barrel will harm it. I think he's asking how long will it stay that polished, what with the slide continuously riding over the barrel. I'm sure you have to refinish it from time to time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wrote this in another post..

I started with 400 to remove the coating, then 600, then to 800 to remove most of the sanding scratches. You can go finer than that if you'd like, the less scratches the better. I used the mothers mag and wheel polish comes in a little white tub with red lettering. smear it on the barrel and take a towel to it, it will turn black (means its working ) It will get you there if you keep at it

If you want a extremely reflective mirror like shine quickly and have a drill, many stores (home depot, lowes, sears, harbrfreight) sell 2", 3", and 5" buff wheel kits that come with red tripoli and white rouge compounds for around 5-10 bucks. Just take the buff wheel on the drill and spin it up, start with red to cut and remove scratches, then put on diff wheel and use the white rouge to polish, then follow up with mothers. I would recommend doing it this way. Took me about an hour from start to finish. I dont like using dremels or rotary tools as they spin so fast they tend to "burn" and scuff the polished pieces.

As far as it lasting, no issues here with scuffs or rust. Thats the great thing about polished metal, a quick buff with a towel and some mothers on a rag will bring out any scuff marks from the slide. If you have any questions feel free to pm me any questions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts