Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a question for all you XD/XDM owners. Has your striker status indicator been helpful?

I've heard it's helpful to look at it when holstering the weapon in the event clothing might get in the way and apply reward pressure to the trigger. Has anyone ever seen that before? Or does it at least give you peace of mind?

My thinking is that Springfield dropped this feature in the XDs pistols because it was pushing the reasonable limits on weight for a single stack.

If you own an XDs9/45, do you miss it? Or would you miss it if Springfield dropped that feature?

I would imagine it would be more useful in a subcompact than a duty-sized pistol because you're more likely to carry it IWB.

·
Registered
29,836 Posts
If you're looking at the striker indicator...wouldn't it just be easier (and safer!) to make sure all your clothing is clear of your holster mouth first?

I fail to see the utility of it at all...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't miss it at all. In fact I rarely used it on my XDm.

I know when the gun is cocked. I don't have the grip safety depressed when holstering it so I'm not too worried about a discharge.

It's nice to have but I can definitely live without it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only miss it on my XDS for aesthetic reasons. I like the way it looks on my XD. As far as is it useful? Not really because I know if I'm carrying my weapon it has a round in the chamber and is ready to fire. When I'm holstering. I don't depress the grip safety and make sure nothing is blocking my holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The Xds has a loaded Chamber indicator. It's only slightly more useful. I Assume the gun is always loaded and cocked. I press check it anyway. If the gun isn't loaded it gets cocked. I don't see a situation of where there will be a round in the chamber and it's not cocked. So yeah, the striker indicator is useless to me. Stuff like that gets added to pistols to qualify it for import. Same as the target trigger with the grooves on it. You get so many points for certain features, I saw the list. The larger caliber gets more points. That's why there are certain models that glock didn't import.

There's never a hurry to reholster. Make sure clothes are clear. On the XD you can take your hand from the safety and push by the slide.

scanned and approved by DHS

·
Banned
0 Posts
Trigger forward or back indicates it on the XDs, just like glocks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're looking at the striker indicator...wouldn't it just be easier (and safer!) to make sure all your clothing is clear of your holster mouth first?

I fail to see the utility of it at all...
You have a great point, but I'm curious to find out if anyone's had a different experience carrying. Sometimes my rain jacket folds up under my arm and hand in a way that makes me feel like there's always a remote possibility of an accident. I can't rationally come up with a good scenario, but I guess that's why I'm posing the question. It would be interesting to see if someone could shed some light on the subject. There are plenty of examples of people shooting themselves while reholstering (i.e. "Glock foot"). What exactly happens in those situations is what I'm interested in and if the striker indicator ever helped.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only miss it on my XDS for aesthetic reasons. I like the way it looks on my XD. As far as is it useful? Not really because I know if I'm carrying my weapon it has a round in the chamber and is ready to fire. When I'm holstering. I don't depress the grip safety and make sure nothing is blocking my holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're so right about the aesthetics. For some reason I think the red indicator on the PPS looks sick!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Xds has a loaded Chamber indicator. It's only slightly more useful. I Assume the gun is always loaded and cocked. I press check it anyway. If the gun isn't loaded it gets cocked. I don't see a situation of where there will be a round in the chamber and it's not cocked. So yeah, the striker indicator is useless to me. Stuff like that gets added to pistols to qualify it for import. Same as the target trigger with the grooves on it. You get so many points for certain features, I saw the list. The larger caliber gets more points. That's why there are certain models that glock didn't import.

There's never a hurry to reholster. Make sure clothes are clear. On the XD you can take your hand from the safety and push by the slide.

scanned and approved by DHS
Great point about the "points". I hadn't thought about that. To be clear though, it's always used with the assumption the gun is loaded and chambered. The indicator is just assuring us there is no rearward pressure being applied to the trigger. Going back to the points point, what about the Ruger SR9? Surely that's not a points thing, but it very well may be a political one. But there's always the possibility they added it because there are people out there who have suggested it after having an accident for example. This is what I'm trying to find out.

For the record though, no one is going to convince me a striker indicator is "necessary". I know it's not, but these days I'm all about having peace of mind whenever and wherever I can find it. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before anyone thinks of me being overly paranoid carrying, I've been carrying for nine years with a loaded chamber in my M&P 40c and Glock 19 and no safety in either one, and I am also against using loaded chamber indicators. I just want to share that so you don't think I'm one of those "safety" guys. I believe in knowing the status of my gun and treating ever gun as it's loaded regardless of what a loaded chamber indicator says. The real danger is that they can be wrong. Anyway, just wanted to give some perspective to where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
It always has a round in the chamber. So if I snag it on clothing and the grip safety is depressed I'll know by the hole in my leg.
I rarely use it. Have failed to see the benefit. Loaded chamber indicator is all I need. Well, technically all I need is a little common sense.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have never paid much attention to either the loaded chamber indicator, or the striker cocked indicator on ANY of my modern guns.

Their being there does not make the gun safer, in any way. They are there simply for bureaucratic regulatory reasons.

Follow the 4 basic rules of gun safety, and these "gadgets" are not needed. My older guns don't have them, yet they are just as safe as the newer ones.

It kinda' goes back to "Guns don't kill people, People kill people."

It doesn't matter how many "safety" gadgets are added, careless people are still going to kill people. If not with a gun, then with an automobile, or something else.

So NO, I do not miss the striker cocked indicator on my XDS.

Duane

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The LCI serves basically the same purpose. You can't chamber a round without cocking the striker on any XD (unless the gun is broken, or is a XDs pre-recall).

Also on the XDs, the position of the trigger will indicate the striker condition.

That said, I have used the tactical feel of the striker indicator just to reassure myself that my XD40sc is ready to fire, and visually to confirm my XD40 in the bedside safe is also ready, or tactically on a couple of occasions I have it in hand investigating something that went 'bump' in the night.

Is the lack of a striker indicator on the 's' a deal breaker, absolutely not.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I like to be able to visually look at my XDsc and now that it is cocked and a round chambered, but I am just confirming what I already now about my gun when I pick it up. At the end of the day it comes out of my holster, I replace the compact mag with my full size mag, and lay the gun on my night stand right by my pillow. I reverse the process the next time I reholster. I know my gun is loaded but I still check to make sure. That being said I just purchased an XDs that will be here in about a week and a half due to the FFL I am having it shipped to is out of town next week. I have shot the XDs before and did not even notice that the striker indicator was missing as I was shooting the gun. I knew it was not present but it did not change one thing about how I handled the gun.

I do holster my gun in the manner described in previous posts with my thumb on the back of the slide so that the grip safety is disengaged. I am more concerned about a negligent discharge than having a gimmick on my gun to tell me something I already know or have already manually checked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts