Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered an XDM compact 9mm from CDNN. I've read good things about the XDM's and the 3 free mags was too much to pass up. I did read some older posts that the striker retainer pin could fail and there were better pins out there. Is this still true that the pins can fail? Thanks

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
There have been multiple threads on this. But to sum up what is out there is that yes it can happen with very excessive dry firing. It is like a unicorn though as everyone hears about it but hasn't had it happen to them or even seen one. The entire Springfield lineup of polymers is outstanding. Most people replace the factory pin as a bit of preventative maintenance. But if that isn't your cup of tea Springfield's customer service and lifetime warranty will handle any problems that may rise.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Go with the PRP replacement pins, they're cheap, the swap is a five minute job, and the piece of mind is huge. You'll be able to tell by comparing the new with the original, that the new is sturdier.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Go with the PRP replacement pins, they're cheap, the swap is a five minute job, and the piece of mind is huge. You'll be able to tell by comparing the new with the original, that the new is sturdier.
Nonsense.
"unicorn" is about right, the broken pins are rather ethereal. I have/had 5 or 6 XD's, many hundreds to thousands of dry-fires in all of them. Have had exactly ONE broken pin and that was on a brand new XD-40. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it just happens or it doesn't. The lack of predictability prevents us from judging whether the coiled PRP pin is actually better or just different. I have already heard of one PRP pin breaking and since the XD's will fire with or without the pin I'm not rushing out to replace them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nonsense.
"unicorn" is about right, the broken pins are rather ethereal. I have/had 5 or 6 XD's, many hundreds to thousands of dry-fires in all of them. Have had exactly ONE broken pin and that was on a brand new XD-40. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it just happens or it doesn't. The lack of predictability prevents us from judging whether the coiled PRP pin is actually better or just different. I have already heard of one PRP pin breaking and since the XD's will fire with or without the pin I'm not rushing out to replace them.
To each their own. I changed out mine, and don't worry about it anymore. Like I say, the piece of mind was worth it for me, real or imagined.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome aboard from Texas! Take the PRP advice, and then ya have 'em on hand if you were to have an issue.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Nonsense.
I agree, i have 2 xd and 2 xdm, none of which have had any problems with the pins. I do use snap caps for dry firing but i am not even sure its necessary.

don

·
Registered
146 Posts
Every time this subject comes up, you get those lining up on both sides of "Never Happens" and "Happened To Me."

I fall on the "Happened To Me" side.

Found replacements locally for about $.09 each, bought a dozen or so, and waited for the next failure. Has'nt happened yet

However it IS unpredictable. Either go for the cheap fix, like I did, or the more permanent AND hopefully preventative (read more expensive) coil pin replacement.

Either way, it may or may not need replacing again in the future.

P.S. While the gun MAY function if it breaks, don't ignore it. A piece or pieces of the broken pin CAN get into the firing pin channel, preventing the weapon from firing. (Even rarer than the pin breakining in the first place, but HAS happened.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I replaced mine with a PRP pin before any problems. It may have never failed...but I would rather eliminate a potential failure with an inexpensive fix. It would suck to ruin a competition over it.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
I replaced that pin with the PRP one on my XDm9 4.5-inch at around 18K rounds. I did the same with my carry 3.8 Compact at 8.5K rounds.

Both looked OK.

The 4.5-inch's was slightly bent, but there were no visible cracks to the naked eye - and I dry-fired that thing *a lot*, probably easily twice the live-fire count. Nothing was visibly wrong with the 3.8 Compact's. The replacement took place at around 1 and 1/2 years of ownership of each of the guns.

The 4.5-inch is now nearing 38K rounds. I have yet to pull the pin again, but the gun certainly hasn't had any problems.

I also have a dedicated range/training XDm9 3.8 Compact which also uses the PRP roll pin. It currently has approx. 6K rounds on it. No problems.

Just like xcpd69 said, it's a possibility, however rare it may be.

The PRP or other replacement roll-pin is cheap insurance. And carrying a few around in your range-bag, along with the appropriate punch, is a smart thing, too, if you're going to a big match or an away class. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an XD .45 and had read about that issue as well. Wasn't overly worried but it is one of my carry weapons so it didn't make any since to me not to make the fix especially since it only cost pennies.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
^ The older the gun as well as the more rounds it has on it, the more questionable it is (i.e. if you were to purchase a gun second-hand or are just now pulling out an older XD-series gun from your safe to shoot again), however, it is a "weakness" of all of this particular series.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Happened to me twice on my XD service. Fist time the pieces were causing it to malfunction. Had some spare pins that came with a punch set. Broke another one, replaced it, now it will sometimes work it's way up. I definitely want to install a PRP on as soon as I can.
Jim

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
^ The older the gun as well as the more rounds it has on it, the more questionable it is (i.e. if you were to purchase a gun second-hand or are just now pulling out an older XD-series gun from your safe to shoot again), however, it is a "weakness" of all of this particular series.
Horsehockey.
Only my newest, least-fired XD has broken a pin. Like I said, there is zero tendency to this "problem" that is far more rare than the hoopla on the net would leave one to believe. There is absolutely zero data to make generalizations about this occurrence.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
^ Actually, I'm aware that there have been exceptional cases (from both your posts as well as that of other heavy users/long-timers, such as those found here: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/254412-striker-roll-pin-breakage.html) - but that's not necessarily conclusive: I've seen one out-of-the-box XDSC-40s shear barrel lugs, does that mean that it's more likely to do so than older XDSC-40s with higher round counts?

It's the same as when I initially thought that such breakages would not render the gun inoperative, which was what I'd picked-up on by reading previous posts and in watching ajames's videos - yet, there were exceptions.

And that's why I wrote that it seems to be a weakness of the entire series, because of these exceptional cases.

But you're right, my wording was not clear, and I should apologize as well as change that for future postings. :oops: For me, in reading past posts, the tendency is there - but at the same time, the exceptions cannot be overlooked.

Thank you for pointing that out. :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
On my xdm, I removed my pin to clean the striker channel.

There was NO sign that the striker ever contacted the pin after 1000+ rounds.
But I don't dry fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
On my xdm, I removed my pin to clean the striker channel.

There was NO sign that the striker ever contacted the pin after 1000+ rounds.
But I don't dry fire.

And that's it exactly. If you don't dry fire with an empty chamber ad nausum then the pin never contacts the striker. ever. The only reason I can see that it's there on the XD is because you must pull the trigger to disassemble. Most of us don't use a snap cap to remove the slide, so HS Produkt thought it wise to put the roll pin there to prevent damage to the back side of the breach face from the striker slamming into it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yep,
Don't have to dry fire the xdm to disassemble.

But I leave the pin there for the rare times i do dry fire. Required in idpa to show clear.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts