Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else had the pin on top of the slide just behind the loaded chamber indicator start to creep up? I wonder if its ok to just tap back down.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
The striker retaining pin?

Use your manual and let us know what pin.

If it is the striker retaining pin...it may be broken, if its broken or loose, it needs to be replaced. It only punches out from the bottom side

Springfield will send you a new one or you can send your slide in.

Do you do a lot of dry fire withoout snap caps?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Yes, its the striker retainer pin. I really dont do much dry firing.
You're going to need to replace it....my guess is its broken

Make sure you punch it out from the bottom, and get any and all pieces...this would be a good time to take out the striker and clean the striker channel to

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're going to need to replace it....my guess is its broken

Make sure you punch it out from the bottom, and get any and all pieces...this would be a good time to take out the striker and clean the striker channel to

Ok, thanks for the input. Doesn't make me happy since this gun only has 500 or so rounds through it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
if you dont mind down time send it to springfield(500 rounds is unacceptable), they'll fix it free and normally throw in extras because they rock, 500 rounds is the break in period i'm sure your trigger is just starting to feel nice, what caliber is your pistol????(just some info i'm collecting)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you dont mind down time send it to springfield(500 rounds is unacceptable), they'll fix it free and normally throw in extras because they rock, 500 rounds is the break in period i'm sure your trigger is just starting to feel nice, what caliber is your pistol????(just some info i'm collecting)
Its a 4.5 9mm.

I called Springfield and they were quick to answer the question so I assume its a known issue. Springfield says that the pin can creep up if oil from cleaning gets into the hole and tends to slide the pin out. They recommended I take acetone (nail polish remover) and apply that to de-grease the hole and then tap it down.

I'll try that first and see if it solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If mine starts to rise up, it will be replaced.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Its a 4.5 9mm.

I called Springfield and they were quick to answer the question so I assume its a known issue. Springfield says that the pin can creep up if oil from cleaning gets into the hole and tends to slide the pin out. They recommended I take acetone (nail polish remover) and apply that to de-grease the hole and then tap it down.

I'll try that first and see if it solves the problem.
That may work....but the known issue is that those pins can break, and when they do, the pin rises up. Better safe than sorry...call them back and tell them the pin is broken and you need some pins...then replace it.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
That may work....but the known issue is that those pins can break, and when they do, the pin rises up. Better safe than sorry...call them back and tell them the pin is broken and you need some pins...then replace it.
And that known issue, doesn't seem to happen often enough, to even be called a known issue, IMO.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
And that known issue, doesn't seem to happen often enough, to even be called a known issue, IMO.
I will agree to a certain extent, but we have seen actual broken pins on more than a few occasions. Its all the back and forth dry fire issue crap around it that causes controversy...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Actually it is a known issue from more people than you think. I am one of those people that it happened to on a brand new gun with 100rds through it on my first range session. I did what was recommended, tap it back down,... next 50rds it popped back up. I tapped it down again, racked the slide a few times and viola it was up again. I sent it to Springfield and got it fixed. I've since sold the gun and got a Beretta 92fs, which I traded for a SIG P220.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I will agree to a certain extent, but we have seen actual broken pins on more than a few occasions. Its all the back and forth dry fire issue crap around it that causes controversy...
Actually it is a known issue from more people than you think. I am one of those people that it happened to on a brand new gun with 100rds through it on my first range session. I did what was recommended, tap it back down,... next 50rds it popped back up. I tapped it down again, racked the slide a few times and viola it was up again. I sent it to Springfield and got it fixed. I've since sold the gun and got a Beretta 92fs, which I traded for a SIG P220.
Fine ... It's a known issue !!!

I now await the next 6 months of trolling over a, pennies per pin, series of threads, because you both brought this up ... And want to tell the World that it's a really big thing, and fully justifies throwing the entire line of XD's into a big fire and melting them down, or trading them in on Beretta's and Glock's :rolleyes:

I await your statistical analysis :p

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts

I now await the next 6 months of trolling over a, pennies per pin, series of threads, because you both brought this up ... And want to tell the World that it's a really big thing, and fully justifies throwing the entire line of XD's into a big fire and melting them down, or trading them in on Beretta's and Glock's :rolleyes:

Do a search on the forum, youve been here long enough to know how right? Theres been more threads than this one on the subject. I didnt bring it up, I merely replied to a thread sharing my experience. I didnt flame or anything of the sort. Perhaps you need to find the person that keeps pissing in your cheerios and take your aggressions out on them.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Do a search on the forum, youve been here long enough to know how right? Theres been more threads than this one on the subject. I didnt bring it up, I merely replied to a thread sharing my experience. I didnt flame or anything of the sort. Perhaps you need to find the person that keeps pissing in your cheerios and take your aggressions out on them.
LOL
Perhaps you should get on here and post more often ;)
Then you might know what pissing in Cheerios is actually like.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts

Its not that big of deal to me....bad pins from factory...if it brreaks...fix it and move on...that's the end of it for me

1 - 20 of 33 Posts