Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happened

As you can see on the left portion of the pic under the slide....My striker safety pin died.

This caused several light primer stikes and no primer detonation on known good ammo.

i took apart the gun and found the spring issue but noticed that when i put it all back together that when I manually push the striker forward it hangs up. Took it all apart and just Installed the striker and the striker dampening pin and it’s ultra smooth.

ok...put it all back together again and having that same slight hang up. So take it all apart one more time and begin putting it together one piece at a time until I realize, my striker indicator is possibly slightly bent?

I put everything back together one more time (leaving the indicator pin out) and there is no hangup on my striker movement. (The location of the hangup is when the (firing pin portion) striker leaves the tiny hole to detonate the primer on the ammo.)

is this a thing? I don’t believe I NEED the striker indicator for the gun to function but for it to cause light primer strikes....just weird...

let me know if you need any further clarification on anything. Thanks!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Where's your striker safety? Just me being curious.

And yes I would imagine if your indicator got bent it could cause a hangup. You can buy a new one at pistolgear.com or xdgunparts.com

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I can believe it - just one question: what's your approximate round count?

I think you'll be fine without the striker indicator, at least until you can get it replaced.

I'd like others to chime in, though......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where's your striker safety? Just me being curious.

And yes I would imagine if your indicator got bent it could cause a hangup. You can buy a new one at pistolgear.com or xdgunparts.com
I was trying to rule out every part that could possibly be causing the issue and since the the spring for it was bad I just left it out in the picture. It will install it once I get the spring in. That being said, the gun is out of commission for the time being. Luckily I can steal my daughters slide for the interim. =)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can believe it - just one question: what's your approximate round count?

I think you'll be fine without the striker indicator, at least until you can get it replaced.

I'd like others to chime in, though......
I don't shoot near enough as I'd like to, however I did do a trigger job from powder river precision on this myself. I believe I had to mess with that part when I was doing the upgrade. (trigger is PHENOMENAL by the way) and I may have reinstalled it (the safety spring) wrong. Crazy part is I have had zero issues since installing the trigger (up until now) and I might have installed the trigger at 100 rounds and I want to say I've probably been through 1000 rounds total? (that actually might be too high)

Appreciate the responses!

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
^ Interesting - and thank you for the honest assessment!

Maybe you managed to tweak something just ever so slightly, and the damage since then has just been cumulative?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just bought all of this from PRP

Qty Item # Description Price Each Total
2 PRP-023 PRP® Titanium Striker Safety for XD® & XDM® models

1 PRP-017 PRP® Titanium Striker Status Indicator Kit for XD®/XDM®

1 PRP-037 PRP® Striker Retainer Pin Set for XD® XDM®

I'll update once it is all installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK!

Just replaced the striker safety with the PRP titanium one. So new striker safety spring new striker safety, also put in the new striker status indicator kit with their springs as well.

WORKS. FLAWLESSLY. Haven't shot it yet but the striker no longer hangs up like it did before with the old status indicator installed.

Well, thanks for the help boys. also PRP is the place to go imo for all of your XD needs. I'll update once again when I get a chance to shoot the pistol.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FINALLY got it out today. Took two OEM 16 rd ss mags and 2 pro mag 33 rounders.

one of the 33 rounders FTF on the first 5 rounds after that flawless operation. (this is a magazine issue that I am aware of)

the 2nd 33 rounder and the 2 OEM mags worked flawlessly. So changing out the Striker and the replacing the striker safety seems to have resolved my issue.

Love this gun. So much fun to shoot.

Thanks for the suggestions and information boys. Have fun shooting!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Awesome!!! Always good to hear of easy and inexpensive fixes when it comes to guns. Ask me how I know. Wait, no. Don’t do that. It’s a sore subject... LOL!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts