Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I was out practicing with the XDM .40 I had a very strange issue. Twice in a row with two seperate magazines the slide locked back after only 10 shots. Now befor I get any of the smart guys telling me I might have been out of bullets, there were 5 rounds left in each mag. Just thought it was strange, any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Your thumb hit the slide lock lever during recoil. Its not uncommon and can be prevented with a proper grip.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Your thumb hit the slide lock lever during recoil. Its not uncommon and can be prevented with a proper grip.
^^^^^

I haven't had it happen to me yet but I've seen it occur more than once to a few others at the range. They look to have a good/proper grip but for some reason even with a good grip they tend to push UP with their thumb on the slide lock/release lever. My thumb is usually just a mm or two underneath the lever but the way I grip with my left hand pushes my right hand thumb up to the lever to where it is just barely touching it. Luckily I don't seem to push my thumb up enough on the lever to engage the slide lock but I could see where some people might have that problem. Just be conscious of it, adjust accordingly and hopefully you won't experience it any more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm I never thought of that cause I've never done it befor. I'll have to try and figure out what i was doing differntly from my normal shooting grip. Thnaks guys, that gives me something to look at cause it happened both times after exactly tewn rounds I must be ajusting my grip. XD that gives me an excuse to go shooting again.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Two common issues are caused by the user with the grip.

Slide locking back before mag empty -- thumb UNDER slide release and pushes up during recoil.

Slide not locking back when mag is empty -- thumb OVER slide release and pushes it down during recoil.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another way to see if the thumb is your issue is to shoot left handed, that will put your "top thumb" on the opposite side, and eliminate the accidental lockback. I had that problem myself when I started shootin' my xdm

EDIT: I missed the earlier post saying the same thing I just said...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I've sorted it out, it took me by suprise because it was the first time it happened and I have taken the gun out 20 or 30 times. Plus it was always locking back after 10 rounds like clockwork. I had changed my grip, normaly I hold my right thumb down with my left hand. Having shot mostly single action revolvers I was in the habbit of holding my thumb up by the hammer. I thought I had trained this out of myself by using my left hand to keep the bugger down but apparently I slipped back into it. Here's to more experienced people watching out for my dumb mistakes.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
480 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself HobbyShottist...

We all learn from our mistakes and we correct them and that's how we get better;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't be too hard on yourself HobbyShottist...

We all learn from our mistakes and we correct them and that's how we get better;)

Thanks ZeroSeven, oh and Patton is the man.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I think I've sorted it out, it took me by suprise because it was the first time it happened and I have taken the gun out 20 or 30 times. Plus it was always locking back after 10 rounds like clockwork. I had changed my grip, normaly I hold my right thumb down with my left hand. Having shot mostly single action revolvers I was in the habbit of holding my thumb up by the hammer. I thought I had trained this out of myself by using my left hand to keep the bugger down but apparently I slipped back into it. Here's to more experienced people watching out for my dumb mistakes.

Thanks guys
The slide stop being hit by the shooter is a common deal. Don't sweat it.

Just keep in mind that a majority of issues with any gun are caused or partially caused by the shooter. At least they are with me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The slide stop being hit by the shooter is a common deal. Don't sweat it.

Just keep in mind that a majority of issues with any gun are caused or partially caused by the shooter. At least they are with me!
Yeah, though I doubt there isn't a shooter out there that doesn't want to blame the gun. Honestly I generaly prefer to blame myself cause I want my gun to be perfect I can fix me for free with time, parts however cost money so do new guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts