Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want an XD in 9mm because it's so much cheaper for me to shoot. I can get almost 200 rounds of 9mm for 100 .40.

The gun store here has a XD9 and it has some sort of slip on rubber grip over the handle. Looked to be in fairly good condition and has the new block inside w/ the two holes in it, which I believe is springfields fix for the cracks that were forming in the blocks on some XDs.

Is it worth asking them to do a straight up trade for my XD40 or what else should I ask them for?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The XD40 and XD9 sell for the same price, so I'd think you would have a hard time doing a straight-up trade, let alone come out ahead. It's a shop, after all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NiK said:
The XD40 and XD9 sell for the same price, so I'd think you would have a hard time doing a straight-up trade, let alone come out ahead. It's a shop, after all.
Well, that pretty much answered the question I should have looked up myself... If one gun sells for more than the other.

I think I might go to the range tomorrow and finish off the .40 ammo I have and make a decision and present them with it. I'm know by name in that store so hopefully they can work with me.

If they won't do a straight up trade, then any idea what would be fair?

·
Registered
219 Posts
alot of it will depend on what he has in inventory and what he has been selling more of. Also keep in mind that the rubber grip will be another 10 bucks. If they are same condition and you know him well then I would expect at least gun + 10 for grips + 20 for paperwork. If you do alot of buisness with him and yall have always been fair then he might swap you straight up minus the grips. It all depends, just dont be shocked if he wants gun plus $50, which I would have to pass on for sure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
eh... the conversion barrel is, at first, a good looking option. if you search and read up on it, you'll see people having quite a bit of problems with them. extraction issues, etc.

you have to look between the people who have bought match grade barrels (ie a .40 barrel from efk FOR their .40, rather than a 9mm for their .40).

IMO (after spending COUNTLESS hours searching) you can find ammo in 9mm that is going to put someone down just as well as the .40. I really saw no benefit whatsoever with the .40, aside from the (debatable) issue of knockdown power. I looked at it this way - I am no perfect shooter. I shoot my 9mm 2x as much as my .40. Therefore, the added practice I get with my 9mm will protect me better than lack of practice w/ a .40

I would trade. But, I bought a 9mm. I would consider a .45acp just because it'll kill an elephant practically - but it wouldn't be me only gun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R/T Performance said:
Just remember for 150 bucks you could buy a conversion barrel.And be able to shoot both look in pistol gear :shock:
But I don't really have $150 to spend on a conversion barrel.

I'm a bit unsure of what to do.

My primary carry will be my Glock 26 and the gun I just bought to get good with to shoot in compeitions is a Glock 34.

I really like the solid feel of the XD in my hand though and like owning one but as a .40 I don't see myself shooting it a lot. If I could trade the store my XD40 for the XD9 and possibly with a little bit extra money to get a gun that looks to be in good condition and more affordable to shoot, then I'll do it... and if it still turns out to be a gun I won't shoot, then I have two friends I can sell it to. I couldn't sell them the .40 because they both want 9s because of the ammo cost difference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I sincerely don't want to start a "caliber war" discussion, but thought it appropriate to note this:

I just got back from Frontsight last week. In one drill, there was a hinged metal plate attached to the back of a fuller metal body target, simulating having a half-head shot on a hostage-taker (front/full target being the hostage). One had to hit the BG (smaller back) plate and spin it around to the other side.

A *lot* of folks shooting 9's had to hit the sucker more than once to make it flip over. Some hit it squarely, and it then it only moved an inch or so. It could have been the ammo they chose, but that was a real eye-opener for me...as anyone hitting it with a 40 or 45 spun it easily and rather forcefully.

NOT stirring the pot, just passing along an observation that might be relevant if you plan to use the 9 for defensive purposes. As noted upthread, there probably are loads that will give you sufficient stopping power, and if cheaper ammo equates more practice then I'd suppose one would benefit from superior shot placement as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mtnvalley3 said:
I sincerely don't want to start a "caliber war" discussion, but thought it appropriate to note this:

I just got back from Frontsight last week. In one drill, there was a hinged metal plate attached to the back of a fuller metal body target, simulating having a half-head shot on a hostage-taker (front/full target being the hostage). One had to hit the BG (smaller back) plate and spin it around to the other side.

A *lot* of folks shooting 9's had to hit the sucker more than once to make it flip over. Some hit it squarely, and it then it only moved an inch or so. It could have been the ammo they chose, but that was a real eye-opener for me...as anyone hitting it with a 40 or 45 spun it easily and rather forcefully.

NOT stirring the pot, just passing along an observation that might be relevant if you plan to use the 9 for defensive purposes. As noted upthread, there probably are loads that will give you sufficient stopping power, and if cheaper ammo equates more practice then I'd suppose one would benefit from superior shot placement as well.
Don't worry about bringing up a caliber war in this thread because it WILL help me better decide what to do. A person I talk to at a training place (not giving names b/c I'm not sure he'd want it) seems to like 9mm. It's what he shoots in his gun. I think it's better to have a "weaker" gun you can shoot with than a powerfull one you can't hit **** with.

This post made me think a little about the difference in caliber. I wish you could find the loads they were using in their 9mms though. It's going to be damage done to a person that stops them. The "knock-down" power from the force of impact is complete BS. It's momentum transfer to the plate that causes it to spin and if they were shooting light loads w/ lower velocities, then I can see it not spinning the plate. You could shoot heavy, fast FMJs that aren't good for defense that will spin those plates. I've noticed most .40 defensive ammo is in the 180 gr range while popular 9mm ammo is in the 115 gr range. Will take a nice FPS difference to provide the proper power.

Here's info I have off two Federal Premium ammo boxes I have. The 9mm is 105 grain Full metal Jacket (the kind w/ the silicone ball in the tip) and the .40 is 180 grain Hollow point Hdyra-Shock.

9mm is first row, then .40 is 2nd row. 1st number is fps and 2nd is ft-lbs
Muzzle 25yds 50yds
1230/350 1160/315 1110/285
990/390 960/365 930/345

Corbon has a 9mm that's 115gr , 1275 fps, 415 Ft-lbs energy. That's higher than Federals Defensive .40 ammo.

Here's one of those a friend of a friend things... But, A friend was considering a 9mm vs a 40 when he was getting his glock. I kept telling him get a 9mm because he'll be able to practice more and since it's his first handgun, he'll have less of a chance of getting a flinch. A cop friend of his told him a 9mm only has a kill rating of like an 85%... Now, my question is what is this rating the cop is quoting and where can you get it for different calibers?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't help ya with info on what ammo those folks were shooting that wouldn't spin the plate, as there were about 35 people in the class and very little downtime for discussion amongst ourselves.

I was shooting 165 gr WWB in my .40, and spun it easily. Not exactly a muscular load, but about 1/3 heavier than the 115 gr stuff you note that these folks were likely shooting.

As I've never shot a 9 and am relatively new to shooting (though I've jumped in with both feet), any other comments I might add would probably exceed my depth, and would amount to parroting stuff I've read here and elsewhere. I can say that my retired LEO brother in law (who shoots competitively) went with me to buy my first handgun, and talked me out of the 9 with an admonishment that he'd seen them bounce off of plate glass windows (not windshields) without breaking 'em. That's just one more third-hand opinion for ya. ;-)

BOL with your decision, in any case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you can put a hole in the bad guys head over a hostages shoulder. Then I don't think the size of the hole is going to matter to the very dead bad guy.

The cleaning crew might appreciate a small caliber that makes a neat hole only in the front... as to a small hole in the front and big mess behind.

·
Registered
219 Posts
my suggestion would be to buy a 357sig barrel or even swap your 40 barrel for one :wink: But I know thats not the type of suggestion you are wanting :?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeff_1 said:
my suggestion would be to buy a 357sig barrel or even swap your 40 barrel for one :wink: But I know thats not the type of suggestion you are wanting :?
But isn't 357 sig more expensive than .40?

Of course, I'm not sure why we're aruging because the chance of me shooting someone with my XD is pretty slim as the Glock 26 is my carry and it's in 9mm.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/9052/screenhunter44zr.jpg

Theres some one shot stop statistics. I myself was thinking of consolidating down to two handgun calibers. I find the 40 a little too snappy for extensive range time. I also flinch after a while. I can shoot 9mm all day, well not really but comparitively. I was thinking down to 9mm for the single stack kel tec I'm praying for, get rid of the xd40 sub, and trade my xd40 service for a 9mm. However, I have 1000 rounds of 40SW....maybe I'll work it in with a trade. Odds are, I'll never have to shoot anyone. If I do, 91% or so with a premium 9mm bullet isn't too much worse than the 96 that the 40SW gets. If I were LEO, I'd carry a 40, but as a civilian, the 9mm would do fine. Plus its cheaper, easier on the hands, and can shoot it when I get old and arthritic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you boiled it down with
I can get almost 200 rounds of 9mm for 100 .40.
It will not take long to pay for a $50 or even $100 hit on the trade. If .40 cost $0.16 a round to $0.08 a round for 9's then it will only take 650 rounds to pay for a $50 trade. Thats two weeks of plinking for me.

I need to get a .22 .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jkswiss said:
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/9052/screenhunter44zr.jpg

Theres some one shot stop statistics. I myself was thinking of consolidating down to two handgun calibers. I find the 40 a little too snappy for extensive range time. I also flinch after a while. I can shoot 9mm all day, well not really but comparitively. I was thinking down to 9mm for the single stack kel tec I'm praying for, get rid of the xd40 sub, and trade my xd40 service for a 9mm. However, I have 1000 rounds of 40SW....maybe I'll work it in with a trade. Odds are, I'll never have to shoot anyone. If I do, 91% or so with a premium 9mm bullet isn't too much worse than the 96 that the 40SW gets. If I were LEO, I'd carry a 40, but as a civilian, the 9mm would do fine. Plus its cheaper, easier on the hands, and can shoot it when I get old and arthritic.
That's for that chart. I'm about to head out to finish up the .40 that I have and see if they'll make a trade.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts