Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun, mags, ammo or me?? :confused:

Hi!! - I a newb to this forum, but I've been around the block a few times.

Made it out today with a new XD9 Tactical and a new XD9SC. The XD9SC performed flawlessly. No failures of any kind. It was a different story with the Tactical. The first 5 rounds stovepiped on me. After that it was intermittent stovepiping through the first 3 mags. The slide never locked back when a mag emptied. The ammo was Rem UMC 115 gr FMJ in the 100 round green boxes. The mags were all Springfield manufacture. Same ammo worked in the 9SC.

For the next 2 mags, I decided to grip it firmer, keep my elbow close to locked, and not 'follow' the recoil. I tend to 'ride with it' instead of fighting it - it probably comes from shooting magnum revolvers and bigger bore autoloaders. Anyway, I didn't have any stovepipes, but the slide never locked back. I also have a 45 Service and a 40 Tactical that have performed flawlessy.

So -waddya think? Is it me? Do I just need to adapt my style to shooting a 9? I've gotta say, it seemed like recoil was just about non-existant. There's a little more pop with the 9SC, but it's still pretty mild. On one occasion, I cleared the stovepipe without getting a round in the chamber - at least I didn't flinch when it dryfired. I did pick up some WWB in 115 gr and 124 gr at WallyWorld on the way home. It's back to the range tomorrow. I also have some of the georgeous 18 round Mec-gar's and will test them tomorrow.

Best to ya & thanks for such an excellent forum - I've been a lurker for a while. Never thought my first post wold be about a failure.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This is puzzling since you are not new to shooting XD's. I've heard alot of people when first shooting the XD tend to have their thumb hit the slide release albeit inadvertantly. If it's not that I wonder if, given the stove pipe problems, you aren't letting the slide recoil fully and taking too much recoil with your wrists and arms instead of allowing the slide to cycle fully back??? Will your slide lock if you have an empty mag in it and cycle it by hand??? Just an observation. Good luck with your new XD, and welcome to the fourm!!!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Stovepipes are usually signs of limpwristing. Limpwristing can also cause the slide to not lock back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I think you're right. I must have limpwristed it trying to absorb the recoil. It's been replaying in my mind while I was cleaning the 2 weapons. The punchier nature of the SC let it fully cycle in spite of my 'Elton John' grip. The tactical's more controlled recoil was also being absorbed by my spongy wrist and arms. I must have actually prevented it from working.
I'm taking it back out tomorrow and showing it who's boss! I'll have more time (and ammo) :mrgreen:.
Thanks again & best to ya!

·
Registered
171 Posts
One thing I might try is load each magazine with only one round and fire it so the slide locks back each time. This will help deduce if it is more your shooting style or if there might actually be a problem with the pistol. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
First I would try just putting an empty magazine in the gun. Then pull the slide back, and see it it locks in place. If you ask me limp risting is way over rated. I can pull the slide back on any of my guns as slow as I want. Empty of course, and it will lock every time. It mayb be the lips on your mag, or the mag release on the gun just something to think about. As for stove pipes it may be a bad extractor. Also see how it does with other ammo. You could have possibly got a bad batch of ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Mag lips will not cause the slide not to lock.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If not limp-wristing, then you might be riding the slide with your thumb, along with getting your thumbs over the slide catch.

I'll just have to go with you being the problem:p

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Actualy I bought a used 20 round aftermarket mag once for my Beretta. The lips were bent a little, and it would not lock. I bent them slightly, and it locked.
With springfield mags if the lips were closed enough to cause the slide not to lock back then he would be having FTF.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
When the empty case fails to eject leaving it caught by the slide and barrel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you purchase the Tac used? I had the same problem with a used Beretta 92 I bought a few years ago. It turns out that the magazine follower was put back into the magazine backwards, not allowing the notch on the follower to engage the slide lock on empty.

Also, take a close look at your slide lock/release and make sure that it is not worn or broken.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies! In response to what has been asked - The issues happened with 3 different mags. The slide locks back when I cycle it manually on all of them. I don't think my thumb was in the way, but I'll be checking today when I head back to the range. I will test grip and wrist/elbow position and rigidity looking for the combination that both causes and fixes the problem(s). I like the idea of 1 round at a time to check for lockback. I have multiple magazines (both Spgfld andMec-gar) to test and I have 4 kinds of ammo. Will also take the 40 Tactical and 45 Service. I will check back in when I know what caused the problem - unless I'm just totally humiliated at the range. It's not going to be a good day for accuracy - We have 20-30 mph wind and gusts to 45. Oh well - beats a day at work!!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK - the jury is in. It was me - operator error. If I held it firm in a weaver stance, it operated flawlessly. Ammo tested included Rem UMC 115 gr HP and FMJ and WWB 115 and 124 gr FMJ. It fed fine and locked back with 3 Springfield mags and with 2 Mec-Gars. I was able to reproduce the stovepiping problem by letting it dance in my hands while keeping my elbows loose in an isosceles stance. If I firmed it up, it was OK. Curiously, I could not reproduce the problem with the 45 Service or 9SC. I guess I just instinctively tighten my grip sooner in the cycle due to their sharper recoil pulse. All in all, it was a great day at the range and a lesson was learned - there is no substitute for range time and familiarity with the weapon you are using. Techniques for controlling a 357 snubbie do not necessarily translate over to a long slide 9.
Best to ya and thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts