Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, New member here :). This is my first post, but i have been reading for a while. Thanks to all the folks that make this site happen.

I bought a used XD40 Service so i could have a 40/357SIG combination. I just got confirmation that my Storm Lake 357SIG barrel is on the way! This is the first of several MODs to come on this one. I have 300 rounds of 40 through this pistol so far, and i have to say, i am impressed. It shoots far better than i do.

I have read all the comparisons between the two loads, and I am an equal opportunity gun owner. I was really intrigued by the 357sig round, and it is something i really want in the "arsenal."

In the end, i want all the options . . .LOL

I am looking for folks out there that have actually done this conversion. I fully understand that its never a BAD idea to replace springs and other items, but has anyone had something break after doing this?

Is there something i MUST replace before i start pumping 357SIG rounds through this gun?

From what i have found, there should not be, but i wanted to check with the smartest group of XD owners on the planet first. . . . .

Once this is done, i will provide a full report for anyone else that is considering this same move.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! You shouldn't have to change a thing for the .357 Sig conversion.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, let us know how you like the 357 Sig. This round has interested me for awhile.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Welcome from Texas again lol. Yeah I'm thinking of going with the 9 mm for my 40 SC for cheaper range play. But torn. Only cus I think I should keep with 40 to get good with it. Thinking the 9 mm would throw me off with the 40.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, got my barrel today. Unfortunately i have one of the pistols that will require fitting. Anyone know of a good gun smith in the Spring Tx area????????

BTW, thanks for all the welcomes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, i figure after i get both working, i can figure it out . .lol
Right now, due to the higher cost and lower availability for 357sig ammo, my line of thinking is the 40 will be for the range, and the 357 for the house. I have a XDM9 that is one of the sweetest shooting 9mm on the planet. If i didn't i would consider the 9mm barrel. Of course, you have to shoot enough with all of them to be comfortable. For me, i have shot 9mm for a LONG time. Going to the 40 has taught me some grip changes that dramatically improved how i shoot my 9mm. I think the 357 will continue that education. Don't get me wrong, i am not in LE, and i am by no means a "professional" shooter. My targets seem to always start out all over the place, but I usually end up with one big gaping hole in the middle that i can put at least my last 30 rounds through. Its easier to hit the big hole than the little bulls eye i guess . . .LOL

Options baby, its all about options. The more options you have the longer you can take to decide what you like the best, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, my barrel was fitted by some great guys here in the woodlands! (Send me a PM, and i can give you a reference) I won't be able to make it to the range until next weekend (I hope). I have attached a pic of my XD40 with the new barrel. The grip is one of the Houge Handalls made specifically for the XD. It's set in the bottom plug so it doesn't ride up and muck with the grip safety. I really like this grip. I took a pic of the barrel and the box, but per forum rules, i don't think i can post storm lake's logo :sad:I will give you guys a range report once i get there. Kinda makes me want to drive 4hrs to my parents place - The live out in the middle of nowhere so i can shoot whenever i want :) OH and i am NOT a great photographer so no makin fun of my shootin (camera shooting that is)

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice! I hope it the fitting goes well. I just wonder what makes the "option" of a .357 SIG so attractive. Cool bullet but .40 has more stopping power and ammo is certainly easier to find. But to each his own. Good Luck either way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got to the range yesterday :) My Storm Lake barrel worked FLAWLESSLY! 50 rounds (all i could afford at the moment) went through without a single FTF, FTE, and perfect firing pin placement. These rounds are quite a bit snappier than the 40, so it took me a few rounds to figure out how to control it. I still got 85% of the rounds in the 9 ring @ 7yrds, and i ended up with 5 fliers(most likely from fooling around with my grip). Very pleased with the round - it was a lot of fun. The coolest part was when i was done with the 357SIG rounds, i dropped the 40 barrel back in and was back to shooting in minutes. On the way out i picked up some HOT COR-BON loads - 115g 1500fps.

NOW, i understand the caliber debate. Everyone has their own opinion as to what round is best. I guess i am just on a search for what i like the best. I bought the XD 40 Service knowing it would give me the flexibility to try the 357SIG without having to buy a third pistol.

I personally have chosen not to focus on one caliber just yet. 99% of my experience over the years has been with the 9MM. Once i have more experience shooting both the 40 and the 357SIG, maybe i will pick one. But for now, i plan on just having fun with it!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
You are in good company with the 357 Sig. These are some agencies that have adopted it:

"IMPLEMENTATION

In 1995, the Texas Highway Patrol became the first government agency to deploy a firearm utilizing .357 SIG cartridge.
The SIG-Sauer P229 in .357 SIG has been adopted for use by agents and officers of the following organizations:
United States Secret Service,
Bureau of Industry and Security,
Federal Air Marshals,
Delaware State Police,
Rhode Island State Police,
Virginia State Police,[2]
Richmond City Police, Virginia,
Bastrop County Sheriff's Office,
Alameda County Sheriff's Office,
Montana Highway Patrol
The Tennessee Highway Patrol presently issues the Glock 31 pistol chambered in .357 SIG. The Mississippi Highway Patrol issues a (Glock 31 Generation 4) with their logo engraved on the weapon.[21][22] The Bedford Heights Police Department in Ohio currently issues the Glock 31/32/33. The Elloree Police Department in South Carolina Elloree Police also issues the Glock 31, .357 SIG and the Madison Police Department in Madison, WV issues the Glock 32 in .357 SIG. The Lexington Police Department in North Carolina issues the Sig P229 DAK in .357 Sig. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol issues the SIG-Sauer P226 in .357 SIG. The Paramus Police Department in New Jersey also issues the SIG P226 in .357 SIG. The West Grove Borough Police Department, West Grove PA, also carry the SIG-Sauer P226 in the .357 SIG caliber. The North Carolina State Highway Patrol uses Smith & Wesson M&P's chambered in .357 SIG. The Herculaneum (Missouri) Police Department uses the P226 and P229 in .357 SIG."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basically, yes.

It is a 9mm slug on a necked down 40 case, which is why the conversion is so easy. I have learned that you can get many different loads, but if you want anything other that FMJ target loads, you pretty much have to order them. Wal-Mart sells WWB for around $33 for a box of 50. The necked down case allows for higher pressures, and also intrinsically creates a lower jam potential.

The extra powder can really crank up the muzzle velocity - i picked up a box of Cor-bons that were rated at 1500 fps on a 115g hollow point. I put some through my setup a few weeks ago, and WOW. Felt recoil is actually about the same as the 40. It seems to be more "snappy" than the 40. What i mean by that is the recoil is about the same, but it puts more of a "twist" in the action. A loose grip will get you high and to the left real quick.I don't shoot anything too hot out of the 40 barrel, so maybe its the same with the 40 and i just haven't experienced it yet.

All that said there are those that would argue that its still a 9mm slug . . . . .and i respect that.

Personally, i couldn't make up my mind, and didn't have the cash for a third pistol, so swapping the barrel just made sense. I believe the 40 S&W and the 357SIG both have different strengths, so why not have both? LOL

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Welcome from TN!

I bought a SA XD in 357sig and got a storm lake conversion to 9mm. The barrel was and remains flawless. I ordered a wolff spring pack (14, 15, 16lb) springs so I could find the best one. If you feel the need for a spring for the 357sig I suggest you look @ Wolff.

Most "name" ammo for the 357sig is loaded to the low end of specs. Try Underwood ammo as they load the 357sig to the higher end of specs. Example a 50 round box of 155 gr tmj for $25 has 1600 fps. If you want something a little lighter in velocity try Georgia arms. For 9mm plinking I use freedom munitions (19cents per round). I use underwood ammo for all my self defense ammo.

Keep in mind the 357sig from Underwood in 125 gr. gives you 357magnum performance when you decide on whether you want the .40 or 357sig for self defense. Let us knoow how it goes for you and have fun.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This round has had my wheels turning for a while now as well. And like the OP, a conversion barrel for the XD40 makes perfect sense and turns one gun into two very easily.

Maybe the Big Guy will hook me up for Xmas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts