Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a XD four inch in the 9mm and although I have yet to shoot it I can already tell that I will love it. I ended going with the combo pack with the three high cap mags and a holster for a great price. I will have to let you all know how it shoots once I runs some brass through it. However, I was just wondering if it is ok to store a magazine full? Will it wear out the spring faster or am I just worrying to much.

NH

·
Registered
492 Posts
Storing it full WON'T hurt it at all and it will help break in the spring so it loads easier.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Worth noting that it's a good idea to throw a few hundred rounds of whatever particular load you're going to keep loaded in your mags when you're not at the range, to see how your gun likes it for accuracy and reliability. After a few weeks of keeping the mags loaded and shooting them a few times, you should notice them getting easier to load (especially on the last few rounds). Sounds like you've got a good shooter!

Andy

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's also a good idea to note that this topic has been discussed at length. You can search for the term "stiff" or "spring" and you will get a bit more discussion.

I thought that storing a full mag would help loosen it, but apparently it is the activity of shooting and reloading the magazine that loosens the spring.

Welcome,

T

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I think I added this analogy before but here it goes anyways...
A paper clip laying on a desk does not break or wear out. Pick it up and start flexing it back and forth and it will eventually break. Same goes with the springs in your magazines but Im here to tell you, I do alot of shooting and I only have 2 magazines that even begin to show weak springs. they are probably 5 years old or more. Springs are cheap anyways, load em up and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Old Man told me that an empty magazine might as well be paper weight. magazine springs are made to be replaced. Keep that bad boy loaded.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
i have a Glock 22 that i carry on duty and have carried for 8 yrs and have been loaded for the entire 8 yrs and still have the mags and no problem at all! I carry the same mags and no prblem at all for 8 yrs so that's pretty good i think!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I carried a Beretta 92f for 15yrs and the mags were always loaded. No problem. I carried a revolver for 12yrs before that and the speed loaders were always loaded too. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts