Springfield XD Forum banner

storage problem

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  papasmurf 
#1 ·
i need some advice. i need to figure out storage solution for my gun(s). currently i have 1 xd-9 service model, plan to get xd-9 SC, and i also plan to get a remington 870 express with top-fold stock(similiar to one below). i want to have easy access to all, but i also have limited space to work with. was thinking i should just build my own recessed wall cabinet flush mounted, but was hoping not to have to do all that work. any other ideas? .

See less See more
#3 ·
one-eyed-fatman said:
I'd just do a cutout in the sheetrock between studs put a couple shelf's in and cover it with a full lenght mirror mounted with hinges. Swing open the mirror and grap your gun of choice.
great idea

#4 ·
How can you tell if the space in there is empty? What if there are pipes and electical junk back there? I wish I took notes when my house was being built :x

#5 ·
really the easiest way is to just punch a small hole in their and use a light+ small mirror to take a look around. If you do this on an exterior wall, you'll run into insulation problems... in non load bearing walls, just make a small unobtrsuve cut(you could do it at the floor and cover it up with a face plate if need be) and peak around. If you don't see anything continue cutting. Just be careful for any electical wires.

You could also try and tell from any blueprints too.

(I wire in many school buildings, so we sometimes have to watch out for drain pipes, other conduit stuff when running CAT5)

#6 ·
Water pipes usually run straight up or down a wall to a sink or tub. Wires for electrical outlets usually run the same way. Stay away from places where electrical outlets are. Use a interior wall (no insulation in them). I would also use a hand tool with an all plastic or wood handle to do the cutting with. That way if you do encounter a wire an all plastic or wood handle will keep you from beaming up to Scotty. I would probably find the center between two studs cut a hole big enough to have a look around with a flashlight first. Do not cut into any studs. Do this at your own risk. You might want to talk to someone who knows about home building and see what they have to say about a project like this first.

#7 ·
thanks for all your feedback, what you've suggested in sort of what i had in mind, just thought maybe there was idea i missed. well, this is all something i can pull off, use to be carpenters assistant, flush mounting a cabin is easy work, did something similiar with medicine cabinet when i remodeled our bathroom. hell, if i find a big enough medicine cabinet, that could actually do the job, and having extra mirror in room wouldnt hurt.

#9 ·
why not a gun vault? they are small very easy to get open and not a permanent install. i have one right next to my bed. i need to bolt it to the floor for piece of mind though. i just keep forgetting.

http://www.securityworld.com/firearm/91336.html

granted the price at security world is WAY too high. you can find them for less and they make them in a smaller size for 1 gun.

for the shotgun get one of these. it mounts to the wall and it just as easy to get to.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000E32QY/102-7800217-0951360?v=glance

#10 ·
Best thing I've seen done, when a safe was not practical or affordable, was to buy one of those Homak gun lockers, paint it gray, bolt it to some wall studs and then put some stickers on it that say "Danger 10,000 volts". You could even run some fake conduit out of it to add to the effect...

#11 ·
Super Trucker said:
plastic or wood handle will keep you from beaming up to Scotty
Is that true (the wood part) I thought wood was a conductor. Isn't the electric chair made of wood for that reason? maybe I'm wrong.
Wood and plastic are insulators. They do not conduct electricity. The electric chair did not conduct electricity. They placed electrical wires to the body directly. :idea:

#12 ·
one-eyed-fatman said:
Super Trucker said:
Is that true (the wood part) I thought wood was a conductor. Isn't the electric chair made of wood for that reason? maybe I'm wrong.
Wood and plastic are insulators. They do not conduct electricity. The electric chair did not conduct electricity. They placed electrical wires to the body directly. :idea:
Technically, you can crank up the voltage enough to get wood to conduct electricity, but nothing you would find around your house ... also, electric chairs use electrodes to deliver the voltage.

#13 ·
one-eyed-fatman said:
Super Trucker said:
Actually, wood can conduct electricity. Ever seen a tree get struck by lightning? However, I think you'll be perfectly safe with a wooden handle hand saw. The handle will be made from cured wood meaning the moisture content of the wood will be super low. Also, you're not likely to be cutting into any wire with anywhere near the voltage/amperage of a lightning bolt.

You could still kill yourself with household voltage, but hopefully you won't. If you do, it will be another argument for the house-control nuts and we'll have to launch a counter campaign: "Houses don't kill people, people do." So don't kill yourself and let us know how you fared.

#15 ·
isn't it the sap and/or moisture that boils, not the wood itself conducting electricity, to make trees explode when lighting strikes. considering that most production lumber is kiln dried, i would say the chance are extremely low even with a lighting bolt to get it to conduct electricity.

#16 ·
when did my firearms storage unit turn into an electric chair? lol.. j/k

and yeah, vaults/safes are overkill for my needs, and overpriced. a plain metal storage cabinet with lock/key would do just as good. but still , im just going to build my own cabinet.

#19 ·
To avoid electricution, just turn off your circuit breakers and use hand or battery powered tools if you decide to cut into the wall. This should avoid instant death. I actually like this idea cutting out the wall and putting a picture or mirror over it. Hmm, ive been looking for a new project to work on....

#20 ·
#21 ·
Rifle Locker is $589 and it looks like it only holds 2 long guns. The rifle locker probably is a quality item but the price is too steep. For $589, I can find a good basic gun safe that holds a lot more weapons. The other lockers are also too pricey. A bolted down firesafe will be just as effective (except the quick opening feature) and at a fraction of the cost of the pistol locker unit.

#22 ·
Just buy a proper gun safe. Those unlocked things just promote theft. If you want quick access make sure it is a quick access box with a lock that has a touch activated combination. If you are too groggy at night to open it, you should not be using a gun anyway. Otherwise wear the bloody thing, that is what holsters are for. As to the shotgun, the purpose of a handgun is to enable you to fight your way to a longarm, put it in real safe.

BTW, ligtning does go down trees and they do conduct lightning, but then anything would with the voltage potential of lightning. Unless you have a couple of Vav DeGraff generators making a 2 MegaVolt potential in your wall's wiring a wooden insulator is quite fine. Ceramics, glass, plastics and wood are generally very good insulators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.