Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked one of these things up... Anyone ever heard of an XD9 before? I thing Springfield Armory makes them...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone... i love the gun already, and even though i have seen countless stock pictures of the same gun, i have the "This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine." thing going on right now... can't wait to shoot it this weekend. ill have to pull out the 'ol ar-15 as well. :twisted:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought this XD9 ONE week ago!!!

I have been busy and havent had a chance to shoot it yet, thus I have not cleaned it or applied anything to the slide. Now a few friends have wanted to see it so I have had it out alot, so it has only been sitting untouched for like 2 days in the bedroom.

Do you think I should clean it off and apply somthing to it? OR should I call up SA?

·
Registered
268 Posts
astral said:
Bought this XD9 ONE week ago!!!

I have been busy and havent had a chance to shoot it yet, thus I have not cleaned it or applied anything to the slide. Now a few friends have wanted to see it so I have had it out alot, so it has only been sitting untouched for like 2 days in the bedroom.

Do you think I should clean it off and apply somthing to it? OR should I call up SA?
I love my XD's but thier finish sucks!!! better off with spray paint from walmart

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
astral,

This is not uncommon for a black oxided finish. Though the finish is a protection from rust, it will not prevent it entirely. What it looks like to me is you have what we in the machine trade refer to as "piss finger".

Your body's ph level is a little too akaline and as a result, if you touch steel parts that are not properly treated, you will cause the steel to rust. A way to avoid this when playing with your guns is to immediately wipe them down w/ a silicone cloth when you are done shooting. Also, just before you clean your weapons, wash your hands good w/ dishwashing soap like Joy or Dawn. Doing this removes the body oils from your hands which can rust things even w/ a coat of Hoppe's gun oil on them. Trust me, I've done it.

To answer your question, you can send it off to SA for a refinish if you want, but I would just clean it and wipe it down good w/ a silicone rag and maybe put some armadillo on the slide to ward off future rust issues.

·
Registered
380 Posts
personally i love my armory kote finish from sa.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aiformula said:
astral,

This is not uncommon for a black oxided finish. Though the finish is a protection from rust, it will not prevent it entirely. What it looks like to me is you have what we in the machine trade refer to as "piss finger".

Your body's ph level is a little too akaline and as a result, if you touch steel parts that are not properly treated, you will cause the steel to rust. A way to avoid this when playing with your guns is to immediately wipe them down w/ a silicone cloth when you are done shooting. Also, just before you clean your weapons, wash your hands good w/ dishwashing soap like Joy or Dawn. Doing this removes the body oils from your hands which can rust things even w/ a coat of Hoppe's gun oil on them. Trust me, I've done it.

To answer your question, you can send it off to SA for a refinish if you want, but I would just clean it and wipe it down good w/ a silicone rag and maybe put some armadillo on the slide to ward off future rust issues.
wow, thanks for the detailed response... I will have to pick up a silicone cloth (where do I get one btw?). I did end up just wiping it off and coating it. I have yet to try armadillo, but I plan on picking some up/ordering some this weekend. We will see how this turns out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts