Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, looking to add another XD to my collection. I found a 9mm XD service a guy is trying to unload for $375. I figured for that price, I'd jump on it. I called him around 2pm today and he said "Yeah, I've got the gun at my house. Call me when you leave work and I'll run down there and get it, and you can meet me back up here." I told him I would bring cash, and hung up the phone. I called him about 15 minutes ago and asked if I could come check it out. He got a bad case of the "well, uh's" and then said it wasn't a good time. Then he said he left the pistol where he works. He also said he had the gun a year and shot it last night for the first time, then just didn't like it. He then said he wanted an XDm, so I figured it was legit. Well, after the 2nd call, I'm a bit skeptical as his stories just weren't jiving. What's the standard protocol for for checking if a weapon is hot before buying? Sherriff's office?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think it's ATF or FBI...never had this problem but that's who I would call first...I think it's a Federal issue so I don't know if the Sheriff's office would do much good...You could actually just call local law enforcement and ask them who to call just to make sure...

Chris

·
Registered
512 Posts
A call to your local L.E. should be able to point you in the right direction. No matter how it turns out, I'd get a bill of sale signed by both parties and make sure you check his driver's license. Any more if I buy something privately from someone I don't know, I treat it like a C&R transaction where I either need a copy of their license or their d/l info.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I can understand why you'd be cautious with the seller. +1 on the suggestions above to call your local police or sheriff. They'd probably be quicker to act on it, too.

Stolen firearms might ultimately be the Feds' responsibility, but stolen property of any kind should be the concern of local LE orgs, including guns.

·
Registered
408 Posts
lol my pocket pistol was stolen and resold to a guy in my apt complex, it had no paperwork on it, the Officer who caught the thief (different theft, same guy) remembered my police report and knocked on my door and handed the gun back to my wife.
end threadjack

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Ask him for the SN. Take it to your local PD and ask them to trace it. I've done this several times. If he won't give it to you, WALK AWAY. Tell him you need it for your purchase permit.

Your local PD should be able to do a search for you. If it comes back clean, you should be all set.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Local or any LE can run the serial number through the NCIC database. They can only tell you if it has been reported stolen as of the time the NCIC check is ran. Remember, not everyone that has had a weapon stolen has a record of the serial number in order to report it stolen. Additionally it can be reported stolen and entered into NCIC after you have it checked. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called the PD and they said they couldn't run it. I ended up having it ran by a friend of mine that works for TABC. Came back clean, and I had it in my possession for a whole 4 hours before I resold it.. I hated to see it go, but paying $375 and reselling for $500 in a couple hours hardly seems like a bad deal. Plus, more money in the XD .45 fund! Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
Only if the owner reports to their local
PD or sheriff's office that a particular
firearm of theirs has been stolen, with
make, model and S/N. Then it enters into
the stolen weapon list, only on a local
basis, not on a national basis. However,
an inquiry to BATF will surely get their
attention.

Very hard to track a stolen firearm unless
it has been reported as stolen. Once reported
as stolen and it is recovered, it can be returned
to the owner.

Ed

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Ask him for the SN. Take it to your local PD and ask them to trace it. I've done this several times. If he won't give it to you, WALK AWAY. Tell him you need it for your purchase permit.

Your local PD should be able to do a search for you. If it comes back clean, you should be all set.
Big +1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts