Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad this morning for this with a rotating barrell system in 9mm and 40SW. Opinions? I have an XD40SC but thought this was interesting.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I had a Beretta cougar 8045, (45acp). The same gun before Beretta sold the design to Stoeger. Never has a single problem! Feed everything I fed it. and with the rotating barrel it seemed to have a little more manageable recoil that the standard Browning mechanism. The pistol was very accurate just could not get used to the double action only trigger I had on the model I owned, If I had gotten the SA/DA trigger group I would have never sold the pistol! Also I dont know if it is true or not, so do you own research, but I heard Beretta even sold stoeger the machining tools to produce the cougar on. I have heard nothing negative of the Stoeger pistol. I would personally be happy to add one to my collection. I believe Stoeger does not offer the cougar in DA only since they got it from Beretta.

I say go for it! :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've got a Beretta 8040G DA/SA full size. G model has no safety, just decocker lever. I like the Beretta DA/SA trigger pull best of any production gun I've ever tried. Never had a jam with it. YMMV. They're not very popular so you can usually pick one up cheap on the used market. No idea what Stoeger asks for them new.

I don't claim to be a gun expert but, in my experience, Beretta's tend to be big and heavy, which helps with recoil. The rotating barrel also seems to help, more b/c the barrel can be closer to the axis of my forearm as opposed to anything having to do with torque of the barrel rotation during the firing cycle. That being said, I don't have any experience with compact Berettas.

Takedown is like the 92/96 series. Lock the slide back, flip the takedown switch, and the slide and barrel come off easily.

Interestingly, the PX4 full size uses the rotating barrel system but the PX4 compact uses a traditional semi-auto barrel/slide combo where the barrel drops down a little during the firing cycle.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I had a Beretta cougar 8045, (45acp). The same gun before Beretta sold the design to Stoeger. Never has a single problem! Feed everything I fed it. and with the rotating barrel it seemed to have a little more manageable recoil that the standard Browning mechanism. The pistol was very accurate just could not get used to the double action only trigger I had on the model I owned, If I had gotten the SA/DA trigger group I would have never sold the pistol! Also I dont know if it is true or not, so do you own research, but I heard Beretta even sold stoeger the machining tools to produce the cougar on. I have heard nothing negative of the Stoeger pistol. I would personally be happy to add one to my collection. I believe Stoeger does not offer the cougar in DA only since they got it from Beretta.

Yes they did. It's essentially a Beretta Cougar with the Stoeger name stamped on it instead. Otherwise it's the same gun, but about half the price.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have never had any problems w/ mine. Its a great shooter and a great ccw piece. My buddy has a Beretta Couger .40 S&W, and side by side there are really no differences in workmanship or quality. The only difference is in price and finish of the slide. His Cougar cost him over $600 new, mine $399, and the finish on my slide is a little more shiny. I have no way to get you pictures, but trust me you will love it!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts

Actually, Beretta is part of Stoeger, or vice versa, I forget. You are right about the same tooling and machinery. They simply moved it all to Turkey for reduced labor costs (sound familiar). Basically the Stoeger is the same gun as the Beretta for half the cost.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I actually have 2 , one for me and I put one up for my boy when he gets older. They are just the same as the Beretta Cougar only a better price:) . I got both of mine new last year for $349 .

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've owned a Stoeger, very close to my Beretta 8045 in quality. Aside from the finish, almost identical. One of the best deals going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts