Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Any one let me know the following in detail.

I bought Stoeger Cougar 8000 F and it is working fine the only problem i am facing is that when i chambered the gun the safety lock can give the pain to my fingure and i do not feel comfortable to chamber the pistol. Is there any way if i wanted to remove the safety lock from my pistol ? if so kindly let me know in steps in detailed also if u know any link for the same problem i will appreciate because the video clip is much quicker understable.

Thanks

Note : I am new in the forum so please also reply to my email address
[email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is Any one let me know the following in detail.

I bought Stoeger Cougar 8000 F and it is working fine the only problem i am facing is that when i chambered the gun the safety lock can give the pain to my fingure and i do not feel comfortable to chamber the pistol. Is there any way if i wanted to remove the safety lock from my pistol ? if so kindly let me know in steps in detailed also if u know any link for the same problem i will appreciate because the video clip is much quicker understable.

Thanks

Note : I am new in the forum so please also reply to my email address
[email protected]
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. It sounds like you want to remove the safety. There is a fairly simple way way to convert an "F" model to a "G" model but I've never done it. There is a ball bearing and spring that needs to be removed from the safety body or you can purchase a "G" safety body as a replacement part. The "G" model of the Beretta Cougar has the SA/DA action and the safety was a decock only. With the "G", engaging the safety dropped the hammer and then the lever went back to the fire position making the pistol ready to shoot. The "F" model safety decocked the hammer and then stayed "safe".

The Beretta Cougar "D" model was DA only and doesn't have a manual safety at all.

I think Stoeger only offers the "F" so you're going to have to modify it to a "G". It's not going to make operating the safety any easier however. I actually have a callous on my thumb from operating the safety on mine. :cool:

If you really like the Cougar, and I don't blame you as it is a fine firearm, I would recommend that you sell your Stoeger and get a Beretta "D" model used someplace.

The Beretta forum can give you all the info you need for these conversions.
HTML:
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, what i mean is that i want to remove the safety lock completely. U advised to convert into G model and also it is easy to do so. But is there any way that u showed me through video so i will better understand and do myself practically.

Special Thanks.

Note : Please note that in my market there is no genuine dealer and i have to do every thing my own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK.

There's no way to remove it. The mechanism needs the safety body in place in order to work.

Here's a link to the armorer's manual.
HTML:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33847510/CougarArmMan-9%2640.pdf
With a quality set of brass punches and roll pin punches, you can completely disassemble and reassemble your pistol in about an hour. After you've done it a couple times, it takes about 15 minutes. There are a few springs that can launch on you so take care of the warnings.

It may not get you where you want to be but you may be able to figure out what you can do. If you simply cut the levers off, that effectively will “remove the safety” but the shaft tubes will still need to be there.

Check out the Beretta forum. Do a search for Beretta conversions and I'm sure you will find what you need.

However, I really don’t recommend you remove the safety completely. There will be no way to decock the pistol except the extremely dangerous “Hollywood” way of holding the hammer back while pulling the trigger.

I reread your OP and it dawned on me what is bothering you. Those safety tabs hurt my fingers as well so I don’t usually rack the slide by pulling back in the slide with my left hand. Perhaps you can do what I do and that is place your left hand palm down on top of the slide, wrap your fingers around, and place the pistol in front of your sternum. Then push with your right (grip) hand holding your left hand stationary. It’s similar to the action of pumping your fists together instead of pulling them apart. You are much stronger with this action.

I found this video on YouTube. It’s a guy showing how the Cougar works which probably tells you nothing but at 8:08, he racks the slide like I’m trying to describe.

Again, removing the safety is a bad idea. Lecture over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts