Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all,
so I'm hearing a lot about the Beretta Cougar, which is also being manufactured by Stoeger. I've never even seen one of these in person, no less fired one.
are they just manufactured in small numbers or is there a reason few people actually carry them? how much do they normally cost NIB? how do they stack against an XDM, glock or FNP/X?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Initally the price on a Stoeger brand was $399. Don't know price now, but check out Bud's Gun Shop online, they are usually the cheapest.
They are all metal so it's hard to compare it with a polymer. I have a Beretta in .40 and love the hell out of it, almost more than a Beretta 92. I had a trigger job & night sights on it, holsters are fairly easy to find. Trigger is typical DA/SA w/ hammer, again, nothing like the polymer striker fired pistols. uses a rotating barrel instead of a tilt-lock design, but never had an issue with that. Some of The newer Beretta polymers also still use the rotating barrel design.
If you have the cash for either brand, i'd recommend one, can't find any negative thing to say about them.
Several departments issued these before polymers were the norm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a Stoeger Cougar 9mm and loved it. The only reason I got rid of it is my buddy's wife needed a nice carry gun and I sold it to him, agreeing that if he or she was to ever get rid of it I get first dibs and the original price for it. Well long story short, he got a divorce and she took it with her! I might buy me another one day, but I just bought me 2 9mm CZ's as of late and I'm now not 9mm poor for once in my life.

·
Registered
92 Posts
$400 is about right/average now.

I've had mine for about 4 years now in 9mm. Its the smoothest shooting 9mm i have ever shot, and extremely accurate for the 3.6" barrel length.

It feels like a much more expensive gun because it should be. I have shot probably 1600 rounds through it and NEVER had a single failure. Even using russian brown bear 9mm.

My only gripe with it is I dont like the position and feel of the safety/decocker.

I was thinking of standardizing my pistols with glocks, but the cougar has been the one pistol I cant bring myself to get rid of.

I just think you dont see them, because people dont know about them. Stoeger is kind of an obscure company name to the general gun public. And for those who know about Stoeger, their reputation is still in the shotgun market.

If Beretta continued producing and marketing the Cougar, i think it would be a much more popular gun, but of course it would cost 600-700 rather than 350-450

·
Registered
471 Posts
I haven't shot one, but it's mechanically similar to the Beretta PX4 Storm (not including the sub-compacts) which I have shot. As mentioned, Stoeger's a wholly-owned subsidiary of Beretta which explains a lot.

When I shot it, I thought, man, that's a fun little gun. When I found out it was a .45, I had to apologize for going through so much of my friend's ammo... I would have never guessed it giving how soft-shooting it was.

I have heard that they lock up in foul conditions but the one I shot saw multiple tours in Iraq and it never failed there.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have a stoeger cougar in 9mm now and its awesome. I had a beretta but it was 357 sig and too expensive to shoot. I sold it because the cost of buying the .40 barrel for it was not worth it to me.... Needless to say i regret selling it and ended up buying the stoeger cougar because i couldn't find another beretta. it you are interested in buying one, try to find the beretta version. even though they are made on the same machinery just in turkey, the beretta finish is a lot better. about the locking up, if you just remember to put just a little oil where the barrel locks/rotates with the guide rod then it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have to agree that the slide mounted thumb safety is about the stupidest place to put a rotating safety lever, especially since your thumb doesn't rotate upward, d'oh!
I'd remove them from my Cougar, 96, & Smith 5903 if I could.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I have to agree that the slide mounted thumb safety is about the stupidest place to put a rotating safety lever, especially since your thumb doesn't rotate upward, d'oh!
I'd remove them from my Cougar, 96, & Smith 5903 if I could.

I strongly dislike the slide mounted safety. None of my berettas have that (they're either decock only or frame mounted). However, it helps to think of it as you come out of the holster as pushing it forward and not up as your thumbs come forward in a "thumbs forward" grip. Practice that way and before you know it you'll be taking the safety off without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm pushing 69 years old, fine now but I'm looking ahead when body starts to go south. I own a EMP 9mm, a XD sc 9mm and a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380.
How true is the coments about a softer recoil with rotating barrel?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I strongly dislike the slide mounted safety. None of my berettas have that (they're either decock only or frame mounted). However, it helps to think of it as you come out of the holster as pushing it forward and not up as your thumbs come forward in a "thumbs forward" grip. Practice that way and before you know it you'll be taking the safety off without even thinking about it.
yeah brother, I know how to operate it, (I'm an IDPA nut), but it is just unnatural is what i was saying. Not conducive to human biomechanics. My 5903 safety is so stiff there is no way to disengage it with thumb pressure alone, Berettas not as bad. Not natural, poor design, especially how easy & popular a 1911 style safety works.

I'm pushing 69 years old, fine now but I'm looking ahead when body starts to go south. I own a EMP 9mm, a XD sc 9mm and a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380.
How true is the coments about a softer recoil with rotating barrel?
Not much. Some have claimed a little more recoil. But it's a heavy metal handgun, recoil is not an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Stougar Cougar is a well made firearm. (Mine is the 8040F model) I have approximately 1,000 thru it without a single misfire. The retail depending on some features is about 469-499 dollars. Depending on where you are will dictate the final cost. I was able to obtain one on NJ for $419 NIB. Compares great to many handguns and can be a few hundread dollars cheaper.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I own a Stoeger Cougar 8045. Paid $450 for it. I have 850 live rounds and close to 2500 dry fires through the gun. I had malfs in the first 50 rounds but have not experienced since. I believe these guns are unpopular, just as all tda(da/sa) are unpopular due to lack of commitment by owners. Any hammer fired design will require more practice than a striker fired design.

Rotating barrels are something that all pistol shooters should experiance. The design feels alot better under recoil than any tilting locking barrel (1911, sig) design. Unfortunately, the rotating of sights (circular motion) is unnatural and makes tranitioning to back up guns or rifles slower, even cumbersome. I am currently transitioning from the 8045 to a sig pro as my primary/ edc hangun though I would not trade my Couger for anything in the world. I wish you the best in your handgun quest,and am willing to answer any questions on the Cougar you may have. Ken

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am actually finally strongly considering selling my cougar now. Gun is still great, but my wife likes the m&p 9 or 9c, funds are limited, and i really want anything that can encourage her to join me at the range and get her cwp.

I carried it over the weekend almost as if i was saying goodbye lol. I still am having a hard time with getting rid of it, and if i could afford the m&p and keep the cougar i would.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts