Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question, that for the life of me I can't find the answer to. Does the extension tube type matter for a particular stock? Meaning, would a stock (VLTOR, Magpul etc.) work with either a 5 or 6 position buffer tube, or does the stock require a certain one? My first EBR has an A2 stock, so this is new territory. I'm glad I at least thought about it before clicking "purchase" :p

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The positions really don't matter. I'd only recommend a 5 or 6 position buffer tube though. The difference is if it's commercial or mil-spec. The stock will need to be ordered in coreleation to which buffer tube is installed on your rifle otherwise you'll have problems.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks :) I already had the mil-spec vs. commercial thing down, but worried unnecessarily about the position thing. This upcoming new rifle (1st AR was built by a friend) is taking more time than I expected, and I like it. I already am planning my third :eek:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Hey Hokie, since you got your answer, would you mind if I hijacked the thread briefly? (I'm going to anyway cause I'm sure you're a good sport! ;))

Is there typically a difference in length of the tube based on commercial vs mil-spec, or does it just vary by tube? I have a commercial tube on my AK and a mil-spec tube on my AR, and the one on the AR is WAY shorter (a couple inches). For a comfortable length on my AK I put the stock in about the middle position. The stock on the AR is fully extended and still isn't as long as the AK (I took the stocks off and compared the tubes themselves, and the commercial on the AK is in fact much longer, so I wasn't sure why) Thanks!

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Is there typically a difference in length of the tube based on commercial vs mil-spec, or does it just vary by tube?
typically the specs are
  • Mil Spec
  • 7075T-6 forged aluminum
  • 7.25" Long
  • 1.14" OD
  • .073" Outer wall thickness
  • Squared End , there have been some with a tapered end and these created problems with the Magpul CTR.....thus the need for the thicker pad on the commercial version of the CTR

• Commercial
  • 6061T-6 extruded aluminum
  • 7.8" Long
  • 1.17" OD
  • .085" Outer wall thickness
  • Tapered End

1 - 5 of 5 Posts