Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock XD9 and I am wanting to start upgrading it. There are so many options, trigger, grips, laser/light, sights, the list is endless. Any suggestions for a priority item? Some where to start upgrading and some of your guys experiences with that product or even products to stay away from. I know it's a really wide scope of products, but I am open to anything and everything. Thanks in advance guys. Also looking for a ccw holster as well.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.690779,-117.183739

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would start off with some of the forum sponsors websites... scroll down from the main page. Pistolgear.com has some SS replacement parts, Precision River has trigger upgrades, these guys know the gun inside and out and have very good reputations. For the frilly stuff, the choices are really wide ranging as you can find tac lights from $25 to $250 - so it also depends on what your wallet can bear. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got my XD9 and it got a TLR-1 right out of the box. This will be my home defense weapon, so it was at the top of the list. Other than that, I will be waiting a bit to upgrade. I want to get a good feel for the weapon and get to know what my likes/dislikes are with it, then go from there. That way I will know exactly what I'm looking for and can hopefully avoid buying part after part hunting for the perfect setup (my closet full of AR parts can attest to this phenomenon). Everyone's eyes, hands, and techniques are different, so it's hard to say that what works for some will work for you. At any rate, good luck with your project.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would start off with some of the forum sponsors websites... scroll down from the main page. Pistolgear.com has some SS replacement parts, Precision River has trigger upgrades, these guys know the gun inside and out and have very good reputations. For the frilly stuff, the choices are really wide ranging as you can find tac lights from $25 to $250 - so it also depends on what your wallet can bear. :)
I will defiantly be going through those sites. The first thing I think might be a new trigger for the XD9. I have put about 600 rounds downrange in the last month from 3 yards out to 25 yards and I have been very satisfied. I am really starting to get comfertable with it but most of the errors i am finding in my own techniques is with my trigger pull. Ive tried an XD9 with a upgraded trigger that didnt have as much range in the pull and I had some better groupings.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my XD9 and it got a TLR-1 right out of the box. This will be my home defense weapon, so it was at the top of the list. Other than that, I will be waiting a bit to upgrade. I want to get a good feel for the weapon and get to know what my likes/dislikes are with it, then go from there. That way I will know exactly what I'm looking for and can hopefully avoid buying part after part hunting for the perfect setup (my closet full of AR parts can attest to this phenomenon). Everyone's eyes, hands, and techniques are different, so it's hard to say that what works for some will work for you. At any rate, good luck with your project.
The main reason I picked up my XD was for home defense and a light to add to the accessory rail was one of the first things I wanted to buy. There are so many out there and for so many prices. I havent had a ton of luck finding one I like at my local gun shops and I hate to buy one online without at least messing a little with it. Guess ill keep chugging away at finding one. Ill let you know what I come up with.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Being as you bought this gun for HD use, if you don't have night sights, start with those.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would say the first thing you should get for an XD is decal grips of some variety. I like the Xtreme Grips, they seem to be the most durable, from comparing a few different varieties installed by friends of mine on their XD's. That's pretty much a necessity, makes shooting the gun much more pleasant when it's a bit grippier.

I don't recommend a weapon light. Buy a small handheld tactical flashlight and learn to shoot holding it, LEO style. The problem with a weapon mounted light is, you end up pointing your gun at things you shouldn't ought to when just trying to identify a target in the dark.

I don't think you need night sights. I don't use them, never have, and with the flashlight used properly, they are useless as **** on a bull anyway. You won't want to be shooting at things in the dark you can't recognize or identify, its a bad idea, and by the time you light it up, the regular sights work fine.

If your intent is only to use it for an HD gun, you might want to leave it as stock as possible otherwise, to ensure reliability. There are lots of upgrades that make it a nicer gun to shoot, but they all potentially carry a small downgrade (potentially, if done improperly) in reliability factor.

However, if you are prepared to take the time to do it right yourself, and have mechanical skill, or if you have a reliable gunsmith and the extra cash, the PRP ultimate match trigger kit makes the trigger soooo much nicer. You can adjust how heavy you want the trigger pull by mixing and matching the factory and kit springs, if you don't want the very light pull, but still want the shortened overtravel and reset.

You can also install a Don's steel guide rod, and a slightly heavier 1911 spring to reduce felt recoil a tad, and increase the speed of follow up shots very slightly.

I have done both, it hasn't affected the reliability of my gun at all, and I find they greatly improve my enjoyment of the gun. However, I was very very careful installing the trigger, and took my time, and made sure it passed all the function checks recommended in PRP's excellent installation video.

Those are the basic changes that can transform your good HD gun into a great range/HD gun.

If you really like the night sights (I don't, I find them awkward to shoot with compared to the stock sights) you can install those as well. You could also install some nicer competition sights like Dawsons or Heinies. I don't find any of that necessary personally, though I may someday put the adjustable Dawson sights on, since mine's not a carry weapon, just range and nightstand.

If you intend to shoot IDPA or USPSA with it, you could put a magwell on it as well, but that will impact your ability to conceal it if you choose to carry it.

There are lots of other little upgrades, but most of them are totally unnecessary unless you enjoy tinkering around the performance margins.

Two things you may eventually want to do from a reliability standpoint are replace the plastic bit at the back that surrounds the striker safety nub with an aluminum one, they have a tendency to crack eventually, and replace the striker pin with one of Springer's heavier duty spring rolled pins. Neither is strictly necessary, and many people never experience a problem with either, but both are available if you want peace of mind. I haven't bothered personally.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks for some great tips everyone, I am leaning towards night sights and a new trigger. I am shooting really well with the XD right now and adding a light to the rail I'll have to relearn to that weight and I think leaning to use a tactical light may be better for me. With a new trigger the only complaint I have right now with the stock one is the travel that the trigger has. If I get a new one I will be looking to reduce that.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.649360,-117.147282

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the same model and will surly add some Trijicon HD's and the PRP match trigger kit. I considered the ultimate, but don't think I need the sear based on research (esp. since my XD is for home defense). The last big upgrade will be a Viridian C5L or X5L (gen 2) laser light combo...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get the PRP trigger kit -- I have one for my XDsc9 and definitely notice the difference in that trigger compared to my wife's XD9 service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts