Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some wax to wax my stock on my mosin nagant. I was wondering what kind of products you guys use. I know its a cheap rifle but its my prize possesion/my first rifle. I know you guys understand ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
a buddy of mine waxes his stocks and believe he said he uses one made by birchwood his stocks always look great

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Johnson Paste Wax is as good as any. I am sure someone will recommend a $50 a can special wax but is you as around on the wood working forums I believe you will get good old Johnson most of the time. Remember wax is not a permanent film finish it is only a temporary coating. The good thing about wax is you can easily remove it. If the wood is real dark from oil I would try to remove most of the oil first.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I started using Howards feed-n-wax and am well pleased with it. It's a mix of natural waxes and oils, found at the local hardware store.

I prefer my stocks to have a hand rubbed finish on them, no sealer or varnish for me. Up until this year when I started using the Howards, I used boiled linseed oil. I still use the linseed oil to finish the stock, and would rub it down with a light coat every now and then. Now I just use Howards from time to time. It is a mixture of beeswax and orange oil and works great.

Never had a Mosin so I don't know what kind of finish they have on the wood. But I used this stuff on all my rifles, then my wife's Marlin which still has the factory finish as well as my varnished wood furniture. It made all of them look good.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet thanks guys i think im going to start off trying the howards that sounds pretty good stuff

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I bought a CZ 452 FS back in June and the factory finish was pretty dull/matte. I used Mequiar's Scratch-X 2.0 (auto-parts store) and Howard Feed-N-Wax (Home Depot) and the finish is just beautiful. I want to say the two together cost less than $20 and the results are amazing. The Scratch-X really makes a difference and is pretty quick/easy to apply/work.

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Pics please

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea I would like to see that bad boy too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts