Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my class on April 3rd, and as of yesterday the DPS website finally has some status. My packet is still under review, however that checklist that they show is all checked off except for one, my fingerprint card. I contacted my instructor and he said that DPS would send me a letter on where to go get printed... I wonder if I have to pay for that too? When I signed up for the class, they stated that everything was included... hope so... :-?

·
Registered
371 Posts
In GA we have to pay to be printed. They are very particular that you do this the same day that you apply, a one day process on your end. But, then we don't have to take a class here either. Sorry for your delay, hopefully they get it sorted out soon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: So I get 2 surprises when I come home for lunch today, The first is a letter from DPS informing me that my packet is "incomplete" and that I need to submit my fingerprints. I have already scheduled an appointment for this Saturday. So at least I know that I got my foot in the door, lol. Oh yeah the other surprise was that my order of Gunzilla came in, time to clean my XDm 40!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Wow I feel for you guys, mine took less than 48 hours, including usps and is good for 5 years. I love Iowa.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You are in for a long wait. It took about 9 weeks to get my license from start to finish, but once its done its done. A word of advise, don't check the website to often because it will make you crazy :shock:. Plus, they don't update it often

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are in for a long wait. It took about 9 weeks to get my license from start to finish, but once its done its done. A word of advise, don't check the website to often because it will make you crazy :shock:. Plus, they don't update it often

Yeah, figured that one out a little to late, my brother in law told me that he had forgotten all about it and then one day it showed up in the mail, lol... It's all good, I am still trying to figure out what my next pistol will be... Still debating between SA XDSC, Glock 26 and a Ruger SR9c... Still want that Kimber Solo, but it's out of my price range :mad:!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, figured that one out a little to late, my brother in law told me that he had forgotten all about it and then one day it showed up in the mail, lol... It's all good, I am still trying to figure out what my next pistol will be... Still debating between SA XDSC, Glock 26 and a Ruger SR9c... Still want that Kimber Solo, but it's out of my price range :mad:!
At least you all have that as a option to look it up on the net. In ky we just wait :( been 4 weeks for me now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Texas changed their law as of 3/1/2011. Where you used to be able to be fingerprinted during class, now you must do it separately. The thing was, I got my fingerprints at the same exact place, and the same exact room I took my CHL class in. Not sure for the reason why they changed the rules, but it caught some people off guard.

I mailed my packet off 3.28 and got my plastic on 5/16...so not too bad a turn around time.

RJ

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, got my fingerprints done today, it took less than 2 minutes... Not sure why I couldn't have done this during the class or at least have the instructors tell me where to go and do it myself... I guess the waiting begins all over again... crap...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The instructor should have given you a check list of things you needed to send in you packet. You don't send the packet in without having you finger print card done and your photo. He should have told you that you complete the entire packet then send it off, not send it off and then wait for you to be notified of what your missing.

Last time I sent mine off it took 100 plus days to get it processed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The instructor should have given you a check list of things you needed to send in you packet. You don't send the packet in without having you finger print card done and your photo. He should have told you that you complete the entire packet then send it off, not send it off and then wait for you to be notified of what your missing.
Last time I sent mine off it took 100 plus days to get it processed.
Well the thing is, part of the reason I went with this instructor is because everything was all inclusive, and I quote, "The course cost is $250 for the first license, which includes the State Fee of $140, range fee, Notary, fingerprinting, photos, certified check to DPS & mailing. Please bring payment to class. Cash or check is acceptable." They did everything except the prints. Once the class was over and we were turning in all our paperwork, the stated that they would call us and let us know where we could go to get our fingerprints done, well, after a month and a half of not hearing anything, I emailed them and this was the response I received, "XXXXX talked to the DPS a few weeks ago and they told him that they will send by mail instructions where to go and info necessary to get prints done about 8 weeks after the application is received. So watch your mail for the info." It's not a huge deal, but this is not what I was expecting, and I had to pay an additional $10. It would have been better if they just gave us the name and # of the fingerprint place and for us to make arrangements ourselves... oh well, Like it was stated earlier, once it's done, it's done. :cool:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The instructor screwed you over. He should have never sent the package without the prints and he should have provided the place to take your fingerprints it's not provided by DPS.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I called DPS today to see if they received my digital fingerprints, and they had (even though the website does not reflect this)! The guy said now it's basically a waiting game... great, what was it before? Anyway, while I was on hold waiting to speak with a live person, I was checking out their website, and I came across this...

"Effective March 1, 2011, the Department will ONLY accept electronic fingerprint submissions. At this time, the State approved vendor is L-1 Enrollment Services (L-1)."

Also, Fingerprint FAQs

Q: Is the fee associated with collecting fingerprints part of the $140.00 CHL application fee?
A: No. Fingerprint collection fees are separate from the $140.00 Original application fee and are not paid to TXDPS. The fingerprint fee is $9.95 and must be paid to the State’s designated fingerprint collection vendor, L-1 Enrollment Services (L-1).

Q: Do I have to submit electronic fingerprints with my CHL application?
A: Yes. Effective March 1, 2011, Texas Administrative Code Chapter 37 §6.11 requires electronic fingerprints for CHL applicants.

Q: Why should I get electronic fingerprints?
A: Electronic fingerprints have a 98% classifiability rate which results in fewer fingerprint quality rejections. The electronic fingerprints are automatically forwarded to TXDPS on the same day; therefore, eliminating mail processing delays.

Q: I am renewing my CHL. Do I have to submit fingerprints and passport photos?
A: No. CHL renewal applicants are no longer required to submit new fingerprints or photos as part of their renewal application. CHL will utilize the fingerprints on file and previously submitted photos. However, TXDPS reserves the right to request replacement passport photos and fingerprints for renewing applicants, in the event that the previously submitted photos or fingerprints on file do not meet current quality standards. If either are of poor quality, the applicant will receive notification from TXDPS with instructions.

Q: Is the Online Application secure and is the information that I enter on the website safe?
A: Yes. Data and payment information entered online is encrypted for security. Payment information is not stored, please be sure to print your online receipt at the time of application. For your convenience, the online system also sends a copy of your receipt to the email address provided.

Q: Why do I have to wait to schedule my L1 electronic fingerprints, until TXDPS acknowledges that my application has been entered into their computer system?
A:
The application information must be in the CHL database, prior to L1 scheduling, to allow all information and responses to match up properly

Q: If I am reapplying for a CHL license, do I need to submit fingerprints and passport photos?
A: Yes. If your renewal period expired, you are considered the same as an Original application and must submit new fingerprints and passport photos.

Q: Do I still need my PIN number to access my application status on the Texas.gov system?
A: No. To check the status of your CHL application online, you will be required to enter your Driver License # or ID#, your Driver License Audit #, your date of birth and your Social Security number.

Q: How do I apply online?
A: Visit the TXDPS CHL homepage for links to the Texas.gov system. (see “Online Services”)

So I guess if I did my research, I would have known that my application goes in first (paper app), then I can schedule to have my prints taken, unless I submit my application online. :rolleyes:

And we're waiting! :p

·
Registered
456 Posts
Im still waiting on mine! Been over a month and every time i call it still hasn't been started! Its BS! They say its makes things go quicker with digital fingerprints so i did those at the local PD and still taking forever.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet! :D So I was bored and decided to get the status of my CHL on the DPS website, (against better judgement), and the new status is "Manufacturing Pending" YES!!! :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has anyone had to wait longer then I did? Wanye County MI, over 4 months.... My mom did it at the exact same time and got hers in less then 2 months and hers came in the mail, while I got a letter saying to come get it. And when I get there they tell me they lost my photo! So I immediately went to CVS to get another and as soon as walked in and asked if they did passport photos, they knew the exact reason I was there...apparently it happens a lot. I sure do love Detroit....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow, and I thought waiting 30 days was rough. I have to say, Washington seems to have one of the easiest processes for getting a permit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts