Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that Springfield has still neglected to go to a slightly larger format(like Glock did), and offer a 10MM/.45 acp version. I would love to have one to add to my 10mm collection. Several months ago I posed the same question and it created quite a stir! You can see this on page 19, if interested. The performance threshold of this excellent pistol would open up quite a bit by going to a larger format. Can you just imagine an XD 10MM tactical!!! I can! I am still waiting, credit card in hand. :twisted:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can appreaciate your enthusiasm for a 10mm XD, but in the 3 months since you last brought this up, not much has changed. The biggest problem is that if the XD platform is resized for 10mm, a lot of the great ergonomics go away due to the longer case size. Also, we would see a .45acp years before a 10mm.

I settled on a fullsize witness in 10mm and am happy. Its ergos are still miles ahead of a Block 20 and with 11grns of Blue Dot over a 180fmj, I get some nice numbers (as well as flash and boom :twisted: )

·
Registered
31 Posts
I doubt the 10mm version would be made. The 10mm caliber is just not very popular compared to the 9mm, 40 and 45 acp. That's why Heckler-Koch didn't make the the 10mm version either.

I would like the 45 acp though even though they have the GAP version. The only thing that 45 GAP can't offer compared to the acp is the availability, price, and the +P. The availability and price could be lowered pretty quickly though if the 45 gap is more accepted. However, the 45 gap is quite successful, just look at the sales for Glock and I'm sure when Springfield makes more subcompacts with the 45 gap, the 45 gap will grow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As an addendum, anywhere on the net where there are people who talk about the beauty of the 10mm (glocktalk withstanding), there are mumblings about how great an XD in 10mm would be. The problem is that these people are outnumbered 10 to 1 by folks who still seem to think the .45acp is gods gift to the free world.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
uspcompact45
The 10mm caliber is just not very popular compared to the 9mm, 40mm and 45 acp.
40mm pistol cartridge?! Hoo-Yeah! Give me one quick! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I dont own a 10mm but I probably would if it were offered in an XD. The ballistics of this round are stunning in my book. Would make the perfect hunting companion for the big woods.

·
Registered
181 Posts
LexDiamonds said:
and with 11grns of Blue Dot over a 180fmj, I get some nice numbers (as well as flash and boom :twisted: )
I shoot 10.8gr of Blue Dot in my Dan Wesson Pointman Major Seven 10mm. Maybe I'll try the 11.0.

·
Registered
422 Posts
With the release of an XD chambered in 45 GAP, I doubt SA will be very interested in tooling up for making 10mm & 45 ACP available. I'm sure they are hoping people will be satisfied with the "neutered" versions (.40 & .45 GAP). However, should they ever release an XD in .45 ACP with a stainless slide instead of hard chrome plated, I will be snatching one up real quick.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm sure Springfield and IM Metals would design a larger framed XD to handle both .45 ACP and 10mm, if they thought it would cause a huge surge in sales.

There are several impediments to bringing one to market as I see it:

1) Cost to redesign and tool up for new frame & slide
2) Insufficient demand for .45 ACP and 10mm
3) Fear that the larger frame would be too big for many buyers, as the Glock 20/21 seems to be
4) SA/IM is making truckloads of money on the existing XD lines -- and running at full capacity -- so there's no real impetus to undertake a whole new project for what may turn out to be minimal gain.

I suppose they're hoping the .45 aficionados can be bought off with the GAP, and I doubt they are concerned at all with the five or six guys who want a 10mm.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
From what I'm seeing, 10mm is about one-tenth (0.1") of an inch longer than .40. Would the XD be able to reliably extract the casing is my question. The 357 sig according to my Hodgdon manual is about 2,000 PSI higher than a 10mm, I don't believe the hardware strength is important here, just whether the XD's current chambering will support a longer cartridge.

Anyone have the longest OAL they've fed in a 40 to post?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think 10mm fans need to understand that the caliber is no longer a mainstream cartridge. Thus, it will be less favorable for manufacturers to build a 10mm platform.

·
Registered
416 Posts
masterofg3 said:
I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that Springfield has still neglected to go to a slightly larger format(like Glock did), and offer a 10MM/.45 acp version. I would love to have one to add to my 10mm collection. Several months ago I posed the same question and it created quite a stir! You can see this on page 19, if interested. The performance threshold of this excellent pistol would open up quite a bit by going to a larger format. Can you just imagine an XD 10MM tactical!!! I can! I am still waiting, credit card in hand. :twisted:
Springfield doesn't make the XD's, they just import and service them. I doubt if they have any meaningful input on R&D at the factory in Croatia.

·
Registered
471 Posts
All you have to do fire 10mm in an Xd is ream out the chamber a little longer and take a dremel to the front of the magazine....

But why would anyone want to shoot 10mm when 40SW is available?

I mean as the poster above stated, 357sig is much better than 10mm because the pressure is higher....

-Dana

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
DanaT said:
I mean as the poster above stated, 357sig is much better than 10mm because the pressure is higher....
What does pressure have to do with a damn thing, completely taking my post out of context. It was focused on "the hardware can handle the pressure".

Using your logic on pressure, that'd be like saying that a 357 is better than a 44 because it has higher pressure.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I guess I am completely clueless.

Are you saying that it can handle the pressure meaning that the chamber can handle the hoop stress of a round with higher pressure than a 10mm? Are you saying the frame can handle the pressure? I am completely clueless.

I mean, I know little about design and stresses that a machine is meant to handle. Could you maybe help educate me a little so that I don't make such stupid statements in the future?

-Dana

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I'd like to see a XD Subcompact chambered in 357 Sig.
Wouldn't that be easy to get to market without having to re-design the gun?

Peace,
D.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts