Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a SA Loaded model and added an Ed Brown magwell and some nice VZ's but just was never really happy with the gun. The accuracy was so-so and I had the occasional FTF that was most likely mag related but still frustrating. Then I saw a Citadel 1911 on sale at Buds for 329 in 9mm and I figured what the heck and ordered one of those as well. I changed out the plastic MSH for a steel one but didn't do a magwell, added VZ grips, and changed the sear spring. The result is a really nice shooting gun that's more accurate than the SA was.

So last week I let a dealer buddy of mine take a few of my guns to the show in Tulsa to help fill out his table and he sold the SA. My plan was if one of the 9mm 1911's sells I will keep and shoot the other, if they both sell I'll buy a new 1911 in 9mm, so now with the SA sold I've got the Citadel left.

Since I just like the Citadel and want a 9mm 1911 I love I'm thinking I may go ahead and buy another 1911 in 9mm anyway. If the funds allow it I'm thinking a DW Guardian or DW Pointman 9, if not the Sig match 1911 in 9mm. I'm not really thinking of the Range Officer as it's a step down from the Loaded I already sold because I wasn't that happy with it.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I was going to say the DW guardian, but see it's already on your list. I have the DW VBob and it is one sweet shooter. I was originally going to go with the guardian, but gave in to the pressure of 1911's have to be .45ACP. I might have to pick one up one of these days.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to say the DW guardian, but see it's already on your list. I have the DW VBob and it is one sweet shooter. I was originally going to go with the guardian, but gave in to the pressure of 1911's have to be .45ACP. I might have to pick one up one of these days.
I've got a Vbob too and freakin love it. A bargain for what you pay for it.

Good suggestion Jon, I've thought about having an STI. If the funds work out I may go that route.

Reactions: Andy_PHA

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
DW Guardian all the way! ;)

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Snap:

Just buy another Nighthawk.

Or a Wilson.

You've been bit by the bug; fighting it will just end in sorrow...

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Snap:

Just buy another Nighthawk.

Or a Wilson.

You've been bit by the bug; fighting it will just end in sorrow...
I'm looking at a 9mm Nighthawk myself right now. :)

·
Registered
5,287 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 9 won't be a Nighthawk or Wilson, I just won't shoot a 9mm 1911 enough to warrant that level of cost. I'd like another high end custom 1911 one day but it will be another 45.

Plus, based on the quality of my Dan Wesson Vbob you get a gun almost as good for a lot less coin with DW's. I've been drooling over a Pointman 9 at Buds, or maybe the Guardian, but I think I want to go full size.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can always chase down one of the original 9mm Colt Commanders!
I know it upsets the Colt loyalists when I post this, but I continue to look at high end Colt's at gun shows and compare them to Dan Wessons or my TRP, or my SW1911 even, and the Colt comes up short. It's just not as nice a gun for the same dollars as the other high end guns. And forget the Nighthawk, a Colt's not even close (but to be fair, versus a Nighthawk the Colt is a lot less money).

But putting aside the Nightawk, my SW1911, TRP, Dan Wesson, are all superior to any of the Colts I've seen over the past couple of years. My Sig 1911's were better too.

I compteted for years with a Colt 1911 Gold Cup in bullseye matches, it was my favorite gun. But when comparing them with others at the same price point today the Colt comes up short. JMO.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Pointman. Buy one and be done with it. For the price, you aren't going to find anything better for anywhere remotely near as much. My Pointman is one of my favorite range guns.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Yummy. Give in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts