Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to shooting my first purchase was an XDM 9mm, I have fallen in love with this gun and I have been going to the range about once a week for a couple months now. It's getting expensive I have bought mostly WWB so far for the range and saved all my brass and a couple of friends as well. Due to selling off some weight lifting equipment I got for a steal and never used, I have quite a bit of profit to start reloading. I have done a good amount of research on the subject and have greatly narrowed down my choices of places to buy and products to purchase.
My research says that with my once fired brass excluding equipment costs I can produce 9mm at about .08 to .10 cents each. This is using WSF powder, Winn 115gr FMJ, and Winn small pistol primers. My question is this, being a newb it makes me feel better that I would be using the same (except maybe the powder) components in my reloads as I have already been shooting. Is it ridiculous to try to keep all Winn components in my reloads at least for now? Does my price per sound in the correct range? Is there any benefit to ease of use in putting a Winn primer or bullet back in a Winn case.
My plan is to start here and fine tune my reliability, accuracy and price with more experience.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am new to shooting my first purchase was an XDM 9mm, I have fallen in love with this gun and I have been going to the range about once a week for a couple months now. It's getting expensive I have bought mostly WWB so far for the range and saved all my brass and a couple of friends as well. Due to selling off some weight lifting equipment I got for a steal and never used, I have quite a bit of profit to start reloading. I have done a good amount of research on the subject and have greatly narrowed down my choices of places to buy and products to purchase.
My research says that with my once fired brass excluding equipment costs I can produce 9mm at about .08 to .10 cents each. This is using WSF powder, Winn 115gr FMJ, and Winn small pistol primers. My question is this, being a newb it makes me feel better that I would be using the same (except maybe the powder) components in my reloads as I have already been shooting. Is it ridiculous to try to keep all Winn components in my reloads at least for now? Does my price per sound in the correct range? Is there any benefit to ease of use in putting a Winn primer or bullet back in a Winn case.
My plan is to start here and fine tune my reliability, accuracy and price with more experience.
Well, my first advice is to get a good reloading manual; the Lyman #49 or Speer #14, then get The ABCs of Reloading, read them both, then read them again. Then you will have a better understanding of the process & equip needed. Yes you can use all Win components, but their is little advantage, in fact there can be a disadvantage as specific reloading data for Win components is limited.
You will want to stick to one primer brand, powder type & bullet to start, it just makes the learning process easier as you are limiting variables. Then as you gain experience, you'll learn to substitute components safely. You'll find it easier to buy other brands cheaply vs trying to stick to all Win components.
Your cost are about right, but I doubt you get to 10c/rd reloading Win bullets, they are not the cheapest in bulk. Using PrecisionDelta 115grFMJ, I can load for just less than 10c/rd. Using a progressive press like the LNL or Dillon, you can easily do 500rds/hr once you get the techniques & understand the process.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am myself getting into reloading. I haven't yet loaded any rounds but the cost will reflect how much you buy and brands you buy. for what I plan on useing is Extreme 40 cal rounds I can get loacally for say 120 for a 1000 cases are now free as I been collecting them and saving my own primers I found CCI has the best record so far on other forums. powder I use is hogdon hs-6 now this is where it gets tricky.... How much do you plan to shoot? how much do you have to spend on the ini set up as at first doesn't seem to cost effective until you start collecting Brass and also tradeing some out for sale or also Scrape for recycling.

so my list: now this is 40 not 9mm

bullets 120 per 1000
cases free
powder 22.00 1 lb
primers 32.00 per 1000

total 174.00 divided by 1000 = say .18 cents a round x 50 roughly 8.70 per box....

now 9 will roughly cost you 6.50 per 50 rounds....

walmarts cheapest is 10.47 with out tax but this is here in WA. for 9mm federal brand... so saving 4.00 bucks a box roughly and depending on how much you plane to shoot a month may pay for the equipment with in a year or 2-3. but still worth it IMO... better rounds better accuracy. win win in my book... also depending on how much you plan to shoot a month will depend on what set up you want to buy. RBCB as a set up now for 319.00 I believe @ cabela's I bought a Lee set up for 89.99 Dies 35.00 tumbler 55.00 and tumbler media 17.00 as you will need to clean the Brass also. this is the easiest way unless you want to hand wash each Piece.

I have my Brass tumbling Now from when I went shooting today also Blew up my 40 but thats a different story! and it was not off reloads either.

A manual I hear ABC's of reloading is a good book and very user friendly I personally bought the nook Modern reloading second edition by Richard Lee as it is a more Lee Equipment specific book. but reading and finding a local to show you how it is done is the best way maybe someone on this forum or a local forum may want to show you...

Also when buying Powder I was told a little trade secret Buy in bulk atleast a 4lb or 8lb keg as when you use the same Powder there will be no flucuations in the Powder so the same grain can go in the reload without making adjustments. once you find the Proper load you like. but the cost can be more or less benifical if you plan to shoot alot...

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I
A manual I hear ABC's of reloading is a good book and very user friendly I personally bought the nook Modern reloading second edition by Richard Lee as it is a more Lee Equipment specific book. but reading and finding a local to show you how it is done is the best way maybe someone on this forum or a local forum may want to show you...

Also when buying Powder I was told a little trade secret Buy in bulk atleast a 4lb or 8lb keg as when you use the same Powder there will be no flucuations in the Powder so the same grain can go in the reload without making adjustments. once you find the Proper load you like. but the cost can be more or less benifical if you plan to shoot alot...
The ABCs is a reloading for newbs book, not a manual, littel to no data. Lee's manual is an out of date compilation of data, very vague, not worth free IMO. The Lyman #49 is better, as is the Speer #14.
Buying powder in bulk 4#/8# is more about economy that anything else. Minor changes in formula don;t usually affect your load data, although it will vary from powder type to powder type. Buyin locally at 1# & 100 primers isn't saving you much money, but until you find a powder you like, it makes more sense to get a 1# to try locally, then if you like it, order up an 8# jug. Nothing worse than having 7 1/2# of powder you hate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts