Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at getting a .308 for myself for x-mas. this will be my fist bolt gun, and was wanting feedback. ive heard nothing but good things regarding the action and accuracy. and the olny downs are it is ugly, and the stock kinda sucks. that it???

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have a buddy that bought one. Spent $350 out the door all together with some ammo. He put a cheap BSA scope on it and took it to the range, had it shooting 1/2 moa outta the box.

In short, I think its only downfall is it is ugly. Otherwise its a great deal.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It's one of the best bang-for-buck bolt guns out there.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
It's one of the best bang-for-buck bolt guns out there.
+13

great gun. i have a .308 winchester. its a wonderful weapon for the money

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have one in 300 win mag and love it. I could afford to do mods that I wanted and didn't break the bank. If you don't like the stock you can change it later when you can afford to. Will take the same stocks as the savage rifles (10 and 110).

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
when getting a stock make sure you get the right kind. savage just recently switched stock design and there arent a lot of the new style stocks out.

when you take the stock off
if the mag is attached to the stock its the center feed action (new style)
if the mag is attached to the action its the staggered feed action (old style)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Stevens is just the old model stock for savage...Heard nothing but good things about it...Look at GunBlast.com - Table of Contents he did a good review of the rifle. You might also look into the new Marlin bolt gun, heard good things about that too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just what i thought. now, have to convince my self to go spend the money on myself, or wait till after x-mas. there is one on-sale for 270 at a local sportsmans. one left...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The Stevens 200 is an awesome gun! If/when you find yourself outshooting the stock gun, just get a new stock, an drop-in trigger and bed the action and you're off again!

As has been mentioned, they are basically a Savage 110 (pre Accu-trigger), so all the regular goodies work just fine.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Stevens is just the old model stock for savage...Heard nothing but good things about it...Look at GunBlast.com - Table of Contents he did a good review of the rifle. You might also look into the new Marlin bolt gun, heard good things about that too.
my stevens has the new stock style (im not sure if thats what you were saying)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My mistake if that's the case..the last review I saw they said it was the old style savage 110, I think, setup.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My mistake if that's the case..the last review I saw they said it was the old style savage 110, I think, setup.
I think you're right. I looked at a Stevens and it pretty much looked the same as my older 110 300 win mag. Except uglier, which I didn't think was possible with a Savage/Stevens rifle, but somehow they managed to. But then again, if you want a thing of beauty, buy a Remington or Weatherby, if you want a good solid shooter that wont make you cry if you scratch it or drop it, go for the stevens, drop in a Timney Trigger (they're $100) and have fun with it.

In fact, I've been wanting a 270 and have been looking at the Savage with accutrigger but I may end up getting a Stevens, dropping a Timney Trigger and then putting it all into a Hogue overmolded stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, went back in, and the .308nwas gone. but, they had the 30-06. i didnt intend on getting it, but figured, what the heck. now i just need to bore sight my scope, and go shoot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts