Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the XD's can handle either, but my main question is are there any watchouts to using steel cased ammo for range/plinking time.

Can it foul the barrel? Can it cause excessive wear and tear on the barrel, extractor, striker pin or other parts?

My local sporting goods store has it for about $2/box cheaper than the brass cases.

Any comments?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i think the biggest difference is that you can reload brass and not steel, so if you're not planning on reloading i don't think it matters. i've heard that xd's will eat anything no problem. i personally only use brass because my friend has a reloading press that i use.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I use both tulammo (steel) and usually federal (brass) when shooting on the range. Depends which one is cheaper on the day. Lately my walmart has had both about the same price (about 9.95 for 50) and so Ill go with brass since my bro in law and I are saving it up for when we start to reload

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If you do a search or heck just look in this section a couple of pages in the history you'll find many, many, many threads with many, many, many pages discussing this.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I know that steel cases are harder on reloading dies. That would lead me to believe in the long run, it will be slightly harder on my extractor. I don't shoot steel cases but very rarely.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
If steel cases are harder on your pistol, then we would hear of hundreds of pistols/rifles dying everyday. We don't, so......

Fire at will and save your money!

·
Registered
425 Posts
The biggest difference I have known is that it's dirtier than brass and I would get larger flashes out of my barrel when firing. Other than that it seems to work just fine for me. I've heard of more people having issues out of their AR with steel case than pistols. It seems with the lacquer finish it can sieze up in your chamber and it won't extract out of your AR. I've never heard of it being a problem in a pistol though. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Many brands stopped using the lacquer finish. I have a Slide-fire stock on my AR15. I live in Illinois so this is as close to full auto as I will ever be allowed to own.

I have six 30 round mags. Counting mag changes I can shoot all six mags in under one minute. The gun gets real hot yet no malfunctions with either Tula or Wolf.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If steel cases are harder on your pistol, then we would hear of hundreds of pistols/rifles dying everyday. We don't, so......

Fire at will and save your money!
Not reallty. Consider the average shooter probably fires less than 1200rds a year from his/her fav pistol, it would likely take several years to see any add'l wear. I have no proof that steel cases cause add'l wear but I do know they are harder on reloading dies & most dies are harder than the mat'l in the average extractor. It would be interesting to do a torcher test of brass vs steel & see if anything breaks. I would think 10K rds would be a good start. Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Consider that a resizing dies does much more work on the steel case.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Consider that a resizing dies does much more work on the steel case.
Agreed, just thinking about the steel extractor snapping over the steel case 10K times, can't really be all that good for it. Again, most guys won't shoot 10K rds in the life of a gun, so probably a moot point.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yep.

Although in the XD the extractor doesn't snap over the case. The case slips under the extractor.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yep.

Although in the XD the extractor doesn't snap over the case. The case slips under the extractor.
SOme of us shoot other guns though. I don't like feeding my 1911s steel cased ammo. I don't really care about my Glocks or even my XD as much.

·
Registered
29,575 Posts
Ummm...point of order?

Is there a current semi-auto pistol that is not controlled-round feed--that is, the case slides under the extractor?

With the exception of an AR-15 pistol (or similar rifle-based platforms), I can't think of anything...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I was just going to point that out cudda. Rifles OK but a semi auto all the ones I know of with the exception of the AR pistol will feed the case under the claw.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Ummm...point of order?

Is there a current semi-auto pistol that is not controlled-round feed--that is, the case slides under the extractor?

With the exception of an AR-15 pistol (or similar rifle-based platforms), I can't think of anything...

Maybe he manually feeds every round and slams the slide down over the round in the chamber?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My own experience has been that the best results come from using the ammo which is dominant in the gun's country of origin, because the firearm and ammo were designed to work together. Russian guns have always been overbuilt using simple mechanisms comprised of oversize steel parts; their intent has always been to produce a firearm and ammo of the lowest cost to build, maintain and use by peasant conscripts of no experience and an attitude which is likely to result in misuse, and all in the harshest extremes of climate and handling and long intervals without cleaning. Steel ammo is just fine in those types of guns; using brass ammo of higher quality and cost is akin to using high test gas in a residential grade lawn mower. In my own case, I lost two extractors to Wolf polymer-coated steel ammo; a DPMS AR-15 A-2 equivalent, and a CZ-75 9mm pistol. Both had had no issues using brass ammo, and after about 5 boxes of .223 the AR-15 extractor claw broke off at the stem, and it required a teflon one-piece bore rod to push the spent case from the chamber. As to the CZ-75, I was on my second box of Wolf polymer 115 gr when it failed to extract; when I was finally able to get it all cleared, about 2/3 of the extractor claw had broken off. Both of those incidents occurred after about two years of use with each gun. I returned to brass ammo and have had no issues since with either gun. As for the steel ammo, I have 2 SKS's and a .223 Vepr that run just fine with the steel ammo, and that's all they will get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The biggest difference I have known is that it's dirtier than brass and I would get larger flashes out of my barrel when firing. Other than that it seems to work just fine for me. I've heard of more people having issues out of their AR with steel case than pistols. It seems with the lacquer finish it can sieze up in your chamber and it won't extract out of your AR. I've never heard of it being a problem in a pistol though. Good luck!
It's not the steel it's the powder that gives you the bad muzzle flash.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I mainly run brass in my guns with the exception of my mini 30 which has never had anything but Tula shot through it. It's still kinda new only about 150-200rds with no probs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts