Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What problems come with, if any, shooting steel cased ammo in ar-15s? Like wolf, brown bear, etc.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'm not a guru but I was told it would mess up the barrel in time.
Someone will come out with a better answer.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The steel cases can, with prolonged use, tear up the chamber of a rifle barrel. The more pressing problem with most of the stuff is the sealant/lacquer that they put on the rounds which, when heated up inside your rifle's chamber tends to turn to glue and it is a P.I.T.A. to clean out.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The Russians have invested serious time and money in alloy research.

The steel they use to replace copper, brass and lead in their projectiles are almost as soft as the elements they replace.

In a quality firearm, no damage will occur over using brass cased ammo.

The 'wears out parts' stories come from AR15s made with substandard parts, which would most likely have failed with brass cased ammo (if their cheap owners had ever bought any)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The Russians have invested serious time and money in alloy research.

The steel they use to replace copper, brass and lead in their projectiles are almost as soft as the elements they replace.

In a quality firearm, no damage will occur over using brass cased ammo.

The 'wears out parts' stories come from AR15s made with substandard parts, which would most likely have failed with brass cased ammo (if their cheap owners had ever bought any)
Seriously!!! Is that why wolf is the best ammo you can buy!!!

(In case you didn't realize, that was serious sarcasm)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I won't use it in any of my AR's. It's great in AK's though.

I got a case seriously stuck in my RRA. It was my fault. I was running my Ceiner .22 kit for a bit and wanted to switch to Wolf next. I didn't swab out my chamber. BIG MISTAKE!!

It was no small challenge getting that case removed.

I now reload. Thanks Wolf!!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
My RRA has no problems with wolf, brass, any ammo so far. I have shot a few hundred rounds of wolf and then followed up with brass to see what happens and have had no problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have shot about 3500 rounds of this through my AR without any problems. I would see the occasional jam after about 400 rounds in one sitting but that is because the rifle was seriously filthy. It is really dirty ammo. You will spend some time cleaning and chipping the crap out of your rifle if you shoot allot of it. Other than that it's not bad ammo.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I shot a couple hundred rounds through my AR and the resin crap made it a mess to clean the rifle. After I finish what I have, I will stick with brass ammo. The difference between cleaning the AR after shooting Wolf and after shooting Remington or Federal was night and day. I also noticed more jams with the Wolf ammo.

Like others said, Wolf is great for AK's

·
Registered
206 Posts
5000+ rounds of Wolf and Barnaul, not a single problem as of yet. She gets a good clean after each lead session, and to be honest It isn't anymore difficult to clean than when I run brass. Chrome lining in the chamber and bore is key here, it cleans up without any extra effort. Hose the chamber, bore and bolt w/ CLP, let it sit for a minute or two and wipe until clean. I've put more than 1000rds Barnaul in a single sitting with only 3 FTF, and that was ammo related. IMO, a good AR will eat anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts