Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering.. I saw some steel cased ammo at Walmart last night.. Tulammo I think was the brand.. How is it compared to brass? I know of course you can't reload it.. but it was also like $5.00 cheaper.. opinions?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
No worries. Some pistols will eat it up just fine, while others may tend to choke on it.

For the price,.... even if your pistol (usually a magazine spring issue) doesn't like it, use it for range ammo only, and for malf training. ;) :)

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Im thinking of trying a box in the .40 flavor. $12 and change for a box of 50.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've put a few hundred rounds of the stuff through my xd and i'm still alive. buy it, shoot it, buy some more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
S. A. will tell you NOT to use it. It is not the steel case. It is the fact the bullets usually have a thin veneer of copper covering steel. It will wear the barrel out earlier on a handgun as you have steel contacting essentially steel. Check me on this one.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
That's all I shoot in my XD at the range for the most part.

Any steel that is either in the case or in the bullet is way softer than the steel your gun is made of.

It won't hurt your gun. That's all interweb myth and hear say.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Oh and some will say it's dirty.

It's not any dirtier than WWB or Federal.

Besides, XDs are battle pistols. They can take a little dirty. Just clean it after the range.

I've actually gone more than 500 rounds of steel cased without doing anything more than a wipe down and a bore snake.

0 malfunctions on every steel cased ammo I've ever shot with my XD. It eats everything and spits it out on target.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This from another venue:

Talked to a tech at Springfield Armory today about shooting Tulammo steel stuff in my Xdm .40, and he said the problem is not so much the steel case, but the bullet itself...steel core bullet with a very thin copper jacket. He said they don't recommend it because of excessive barrel wear, i.e. the lands and grooves. Looks like there is some steel to steel contact in the barrel....
I did a "pliers pinch test", and those bullets are much harder than lead core/copper jacket bullets. They are magnetic also. Just a heads up. I will not shoot any more of them...I hate it, cause they are very accurate and cheap!

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
S. A. will tell you NOT to use it. It is not the steel case. It is the fact the bullets usually have a thin veneer of copper covering steel. It will wear the barrel out earlier on a handgun as you have steel contacting essentially steel. Check me on this one.
Stop repeating inaccurate, uninformed intwerwebs rumor.

The steel used for both the casing and jacket on the rounds that have abimetal jacket is very mild steel, considerably softer than your barrel and extractor steel.

I've fired literally tens of thousands of various steel cased rounds through pretty much all of my weapons...I have yet to damage a bore or chamber, or bust an extractor on one.

Right now, I've got 2nd Gen Glock 21 thatn bought very, very used--police trade in. It was rather dirty--actually, filthy when I got it. All I've done is lube it appropriately, and am shooting nothing but steel cased rounds through it (mostly Tula, but a good deal of Wolf as well). At 2,500 rounds, all is still well. The pistol is still as accurate as when I started out. No busted parts. So unless you wanna come out and say that the Glock is a tougher pistol than the XD...;)

In short, folks who proclaim the nonsense that you have about steel cased ammo are simply repeating ignorant untruths.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
This from another venue:

Talked to a tech at Springfield Armory today about shooting Tulammo steel stuff in my Xdm .40, and he said the problem is not so much the steel case, but the bullet itself...steel core bullet with a very thin copper jacket. He said they don't recommend it because of excessive barrel wear, i.e. the lands and grooves. Looks like there is some steel to steel contact in the barrel....
I did a "pliers pinch test", and those bullets are much harder than lead core/copper jacket bullets. They are magnetic also. Just a heads up. I will not shoot any more of them...I hate it, cause they are very accurate and cheap!
If this is true (and I doubt it highly), the "tech" is ignorant of some very simple facts--that being, Tula IS NOT A STEEL CORED BULLET. It is a bimetal jacketed (that being a thin layer of gidling metal over a mild steel jeacket) with a LEAD CORE.

In short, if the tech ain't smart enough to know this, I don't think it would be wise to take advice from him...or from anyone who quotes the ignoramus as a source of wisdom.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like the idea of testing it yourself. Personally, I will shoot Russian ammo in AK's or Mak's. I won't shoot it in other makes.

Here is what I am going to do, I will contact S.A. myself. If they come back and say Tula ammo is fine, I will make a separate thread and issue a public apology for fear mongering and inaccurate information.

Fair enough?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have fired hundreds of steel cased wolf and tulammo through my glocks and ar.never any malfunctions,no dirtier than anything else,and no damaged weapon.shoot away!:twisted:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
This from another venue:

Unless you did a true rockwell hardness test, pinching bullets with pliers doesn't tell you anything. As Cudda says it's a bi-metal and it's not steel core. The steel is very soft, unless you have a defective barrel or one made of chocolate it's not going to harm it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I like the idea of testing it yourself. Personally, I will shoot Russian ammo in AK's or Mak's. I won't shoot it in other makes.

Here is what I am going to do, I will contact S.A. myself. If they come back and say Tula ammo is fine, I will make a separate thread and issue a public apology for fear mongering and inaccurate information.

Fair enough?
So AKs and Maks have higher quality steel barrels so it's OK to shoot Tulla in them?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts