Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to the range yesterday and shot some .40 S&W Tul Ammo. It was the last box Walmart had and since it was under 13 bucks I said WTH. This is the 2nd time I bought this ammo. The first box I shot was fine but I think this box was defective because it FTF on me a lot. I noticed that almost every time I put a round in the mag it was kinds hard to push the round back in to the mag, as if the metal case was getting stuck on the mag "lips". I say this because all I had to do was push the slide forward and it fed the round all the way in the chamber. I used two different mags and it kept doing it, so I don't think it's my mags.

I have a buddy that used some cheap Monarch 9mm steel case ammo and one of the rounds jammed in his Sigma. It seemed like the case was too thick because the slide wouldn't close all the way. My slide closed all the way but I had to bump the back of the slide.

Anyone else had experience with this ammo before, or a similar problem with steel case ammo?

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
Nope.

The woefully uninformed will try and tell you that the steel cased ammo will damage your extractor, or your barrel, or the chamber (or do all three, while saying bad things about your mother).

I have heard the some of the Tula is loaded a little light; this may be why you had some issues. I haven't had any, though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nope, no issues with it here either.
Use it in the AK, AR, and pistol's some times. Where I am, it isn't any cheaper than brass case for handguns.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I went to an outdoor range today to blow through a box of Tula .40 ammo that I mistakenly purchased. All 50 rounds went through perfectly.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Kinda like aluminum cased ammo...

Dirty as hell but not going to damage anything

D

·
0 Posts
I've shot two boxes of Tul 45 through my XD. No issues so far. In fact, it seems to actually be less dirty than some of the other ammo I've shot, including American Eagle and Independence. But that's only fouling on the outside front of the gun. I always blow out a bunch of soot from my nose afterwards that I don't with the other ammo (too much information? lol).

But at $14.97/box, I am not going to complain.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Nope.

The woefully uninformed will try and tell you that the steel cased ammo will damage your extractor, or your barrel, or the chamber (or do all three, while saying bad things about your mother).

I have heard the some of the Tula is loaded a little light; this may be why you had some issues. I haven't had any, though.
You called me out on that one a long time ago. What was funny was I had every gun counter clerk saying the same thing. So I thought, well maybe it is bad.

A little research put that one to rest. Now That's just about all I shoot for practice. It's cheap and goes bang.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
No issues and contrary to all those that have nothing bad to say and have to throw in the "it dirty" statement, I don't find it any dirtier than WWB or Remington green box.

If you don't want you gun to get dirty don't shoot it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I did notice today that when compared to WWB, Tula was a lighter load when shot back to back.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
No issues and contrary to all those that have nothing bad to say and have to throw in the "it dirty" statement, I don't find it any dirtier than WWB or Remington green box.

If you don't want you gun to get dirty don't shoot it.

Too funny. I have shot a goot bit of Tula. Back in the day when a box was less than $4.00 I bought it regularly. It was infact underpowered and still is. In every instance from a P225, and two P226s and a XD9 it was always more accurate than WWB. Plinking and minor critter work was a breeze with it because of the accuracy. I also noted from shooting ALOT of it that it was cleaner than WWB that could be bought at that time....

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
I shot it but the thing I don't like is that I can't reload it.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I shot it but the thing I don't like is that I can't reload it.
There lies the "catch". For reloaders it is not so cheap because reloading steel does not work. So if you are a reloader you need to get brass cased ammo. With steel ammo a reloader has to find or buy brass cases to reload. So that cost has to be added into the total cost of ammo. If you don't reload, then buy cheap steal cased ammo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well now Im wondering WTF is wrong....like I said, I put a box of Tula a while back and it shot it with no problem. I also noticed it was a lighter load too. I mixed up some Tula rounds with some WWB and I could deff tell it was lighter load. But something about this last box I bought just wasnt right. I still have some rounds left, I guess I'll look at them closer and see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Thanks for all your input and coments guys.

·
Registered
29,661 Posts
Well now Im wondering WTF is wrong....like I said, I put a box of Tula a while back and it shot it with no problem. I also noticed it was a lighter load too. I mixed up some Tula rounds with some WWB and I could deff tell it was lighter load. But something about this last box I bought just wasnt right. I still have some rounds left, I guess I'll look at them closer and see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Thanks for all your input and coments guys.
You won't "see" anything wrong with them. Even if you pulled the bullet and weighed the powder, you're not going to find anything, since you don't know what type of powder they use.

You got a batch that was loaded a little lighter than usual, and your XD doesn't seem to like it. It happens. See what the lot # is, and try to make sure that you don't buy any more from that lot.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
My slide closed all the way but I had to bump the back of the slide.

Anyone else had experience with this ammo before, or a similar problem with steel case ammo?

Are you dropping the slide or are you riding the slide forward? You need to just let it go so that it slams shut full force.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You won't "see" anything wrong with them. Even if you pulled the bullet and weighed the powder, you're not going to find anything, since you don't know what type of powder they use.

You got a batch that was loaded a little lighter than usual, and your XD doesn't seem to like it. It happens. See what the lot # is, and try to make sure that you don't buy any more from that lot.
It was actually my M&P, and thanks. I'll deff look at the lot # for future reference.

Are you dropping the slide or are you riding the slide forward? You need to just let it go so that it slams shut full force.
I'm not sure what riding or dropping the slide means.

When the round wouldn't feed into the chamber I would simply push the back of the slide forward with the palm of my hand. It's the only way It would load the round completely, and the slide would close all the way. It's like the round was stuck in the mag.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i like the steel cased stuff... it was tula, i think... maybe not though... some russian brand i got from discount-ammo.com at 500 rds for $80. i only had one stovepipe and i think my wife limpwristed it. it felt a bit dirty, but didnt seem to make the gun any dirtier. over all i was pretty happy with it. but i did notice they were weaker rounds and i had to aim with my front site above my rear site to hit mark at about 15 ft.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
It was actually my M&P, and thanks. I'll deff look at the lot # for future reference.

I'm not sure what riding or dropping the slide means.

When the round wouldn't feed into the chamber I would simply push the back of the slide forward with the palm of my hand. It's the only way It would load the round completely, and the slide would close all the way. It's like the round was stuck in the mag.
What I meant was, when loading a mag, with the slide locked open, did you just let the slide slam forward or did you hold the slide and gently let the slide load a round and close?

Did the failures to go into battery only happen when loading a mag or during cycling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts