Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, wanted to share some information regarding my recent purchase for an IWB holster.

I purchased the holster from eBay on 9/1/15 and it was delivered today at 9/18/15. I paid approximately $96 including shipping. I purchased the Onxy version for leftys. I was pleasantly surprised with the overall shipping especially since they said it may be delivered mid October since it has to be made. The only issue was that I received a message that my order was mailed but when I tried the tracking number both with DHL Global and USPS, it didn't show active. I emailed them a few days later and finally they responded with updated information and surprise surprise it happen to be mailed the morning of their response. (By the way I purchased it from a 3rd party vendor and not Stealthgearusa.com and they said it would be fully backed by the warranty provided).

My initial impressions of the holster is very good. Very light compared to other hybrid holsters I have. I carried my mod 2 in a universal pancake holster. The issues I had was that it would pinch my side (9 o'clock since I'm lefty) when I drove/sit and it would get all sweaty since I live in the south.

I liked traditional hybrid holsters but with the temperature we have, I know it would completely make me feel like I have wet nap on my side. Also, there were a few that I had that would squeak due to the sheen.

The SG one I just received is synthetic and very comfortable against my skin. (I normally wear an undershirt with other holsters, but I want to test this one without). I'm writing this starting off sitting and then laying down and I hardly notice it.

The weight feels distributed unlike the pancake holster. I even wore the holster without a belt and it didn't feel like it was pulling my shorts down.

The mod 2 fits securely; not overly loose or too tight. I did adjust the cant to my preference. Minor imprinting (see photos; there is a stock image of the holster and not mine) but I think I need to play around with the position but you cannot make out that it is a firearm. I'm a big guy 5'9 250lbs and normally wear casual clothing.

The draw is crisp. Not hiccups but I know I will have to work on reholstering without looking. Because of my 6-keg (not pack) stomach the top of the holster points out when the mod 2 is drawn and I have to use my other hand to hold my shirt and the holster tab in place to reseat the firearm. This is especially important because I remove and replace my fire arm several times during the day (like when I drop off my daughter at school) to place it in my car safe. I love that I know don't have to manipulate the holster opening to reseat it.

For being day 1 I feel better about the price I paid because it is really comfortable. I will follow up in a couple of weeks to see how it is progressing.

Take care and stay safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have the righty version for my XDs and agree on it being very comfortable. Do have the metal belt clips or the polymer ones?

Reactions: rugerjazzkohai

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the review! I should be receiving my first holster for my XDS in the coming weeks (yes, first; everyone says I'll soon have a drawer full of holsters). I've gone with another holster maker because I wanted a holster that could be used IWB or OWB. If I'm at all not happy with that decision SGUSA is at the top of my list.

BTW, you mentioned a car safe. May I ask which product you're using and how it's working out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the review! I should be receiving my first holster for my XDS in the coming weeks (yes, first; everyone says I'll soon have a drawer full of holsters). I've gone with another holster maker because I wanted a holster that could be used IWB or OWB. If I'm at all not happy with that decision SGUSA is at the top of my list.

BTW, you mentioned a car safe. May I ask which product you're using and how it's working out?

Thanks!
SG offers a 30 day test period. I never heard of a company doing that, but I would take them up on it. It is true that you will end up getting a drawer full especially if you plan on getting another firearm in the future. I carried a double stack 1911, a standard 1911, sig 226, XDs etc., and had to spend $ on those. When I wear OWB on my property, I prefer the ones that have a secondary retention like a Blackhawks CQB holster level 2.

As for the safe: in my home for all my toys I have a Liberty safe, love this and the company. By my bed , I have a Sentry Safe with an electronic code system. I tried biometric ones, but my fingerprints are so light they are hit or miss for me. These are alright and serve a purpose. The one in my car is the basic GunVault operated by a key. My routine is that when I know I am in a location that doesn't allow carry, I place the fire arm in the safe which is teathered to my car, lock it and then hook the key to my key ring. When I return, I do the same only backwards. This way I know exactly where my fire arm is at all times. It is definitely not burglar proof but I believe it is better than placing it in the dashboard or center counsel. I have little ones so their safety is more important than my own. I'm looking for an option to lock up my shotgun.

Great purchase on the XDs you will love them. If you haven't tried the mod 2 I strongly suggest you rent one as it changed my carry quickly. Welcome to the world of legal carrying.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've got my CC class in a few weeks. I'm going with my XDS9. I'm going to give it every effort to make it as my main CC. I have the Mod.2 in .40 (preferred caliber) but again, I want to do everything I can to make the XDS work first as it's more concealable.

Thanks for your rundown. Makes sense. Stay safe (no pun intended)!

·
Registered
663 Posts
on mine, I use the polymer clips. Their polymer clips are the tightest fitting clips I have ever used. Because of this, and their profile, I get a completely snag free draw EVERY time. With every other holster I have tried, they have snagged if I didn't use an exaggerated movement pulling my shirt out and up. Best money I have ever spent was the polymer clips.

I have used a couple different hybrid holsters, a few high quality leather holsters with metal clips and with leather loops. There just isnt any comparison I can think of...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on mine, I use the polymer clips. Their polymer clips are the tightest fitting clips I have ever used. Because of this, and their profile, I get a completely snag free draw EVERY time. With every other holster I have tried, they have snagged if I didn't use an exaggerated movement pulling my shirt out and up. Best money I have ever spent was the polymer clips.

I have used a couple different hybrid holsters, a few high quality leather holsters with metal clips and with leather loops. There just isnt any comparison I can think of...
Thank you. I'll have to look into them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2nd week report. I really love this holster. I have basically wore this holster everyday except for a 2 day business trip.

I wore my everyday attire which normally consists of a shirt and some sort of cargo shorts. With other holsters, I would have to wear an undershirt to separate the holster from me to provide a moisture barrier. With SG that is not the case. It feels very natural I don't feel it for the most part. Comfortable enough where I took naps with it on and with my xd in it...laying on the very side it was on. That definitely impressed me.

I did end up changing the cant to what it arrived in the beginning; still in the 9 o'clock (lefty). For me, the way I normally wore similar holsters, it printed the rear of my slide and rear sight with SG.

With the metal clips, I did find with my standard leather belt, that I could move the holster with little effort. This would have appealed to me with traditional hybrids so that I can adjust where the sweat was pooling, but with the SG being good enough for me to forget about it being on, I ended up buying an inner duty belt which seals the clamps and making it difficult to move due to the girth of the belt.

At this time I do not see myself returning the holster. How good is the holster? Good enough for me when I found out my wife wants to carry the mod 2 I Told her she could have mine as I would buy the bitone version of the 9 even though I was looking for the 45 in the first go round. So not only can I shoot very well with the mod 2 9mm, I decided to forgo buying a differnt caliber due to this holster. I realize that I could sell my current holster and get the one made for the 45 but I figure I get the best of 2 worlds; 1) have an awesome broken in holster and 2) I am carrying a firearm/caliber that I can effectively manage.

I will have to replace the current grip tape with a rubberized version as the sandpaper like texture is rubbing me the wrong way.

I would recommend this very highly. I got a quality product for the price I would expect with this craftsmanship.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts