Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just at GM today and was ready to buy a new XD-9Sc. I have an XD-40 Service and love it and was wanting to get something for CCW. But, I cam across a good deal on a Sig p226 Navy. I think this is a pretty good deal, but let me know. I was just at Gander Mountain today to pick up some gift cards for Christmas. Of course, I had to stop by the gun counter and check out the eye candy. I have been researching the p226 Navy for some time now and have come to the conclusion that they are pretty hard to come by. I asked the clerk about it and under his breath, he told me he happened to have one used. Get this, he knows the guy that sold it to GM. The previous owner is actually a SEAL. An employee at GM had the gun reserved for himself but hasn't bought it in the month it has been setting on the shelf. Anyway, GM will sell me a used (one mag though it) P226 Navy with the two 10rd mags it came with along with three 15rd mags. The gun comes with the Hogue wraparound grips. The gun is going for $614 out the door. Now, what do you think about the the sale. Is it good enough for a used gun?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nope. Add tax and you're almost right back up there with the price of a new one. What do you want a $700 9mm for anyways? Just get the XD and be done with it. Unless you just want it to add to your collection. If you want a 9mm for CCL, I'd skip the 226 Navy. A SEAL owned it? Blah! 226 NAVY are a dime a dozen on the net. Don't let some dude making $5.15 an hour knock your head off.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
you can get a sig certified pre owned...thats been inspected by sig with a year warrenty for around 400-450...unless the Navy portion is really important.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There were only 2000 Navy 226 guns made....The response was not exactly overwhelming as I occasionally see posts even now on the Sigforum of people spotting these NIB still, but they are getting hard to come by. This summer, you could buy (or prepurchase) this gun for around $650 to $750 typically....New. I have heard of prices of $850 plus by dealers who are trying to max their profit on what they think as a novelty item. As I understand it, Sig's price on these is the same as the regular 226, but the Navy is of course, more desirable (has corrosion resistant innerds, plus the limited run and the nifty anchor on the slide).

I've been told, once a gun leaves a shop it depreciates by at least $100. So, if you're getting 3 15 round Sig OEM mags (I supect used) it sounds like a pretty fair deal as the used Sig mags sell for $19 each at CDNN. If these are NEW 15 round Sig OEM mags, buy it quick!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think I am going to go ahead with the package. It is going to cost me a total of $614 (tax already included). While I was at the store, I looked at a brand new Sig 226 and compared it to the 226 Navy. I could see no more wear on the used Navy model than I could on the new 226 they had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering if there is anything I should do, once I buy the gun, to test it out in any particular way. I intend on field stripping it and cleaning it, then shooting it. Does SIG do anything special for used guns to inspect them for the customer?

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
THe fact that you can get a certified pre owned for 400 bucks from CDNN, i dunno. If you want the navy, I suppose it aint that bad with the mags and the novelty aspect. *SHRUG* up to you on what you want more.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The concern I would have is whether the PO registered it with Sig. The warranty is not transferrable (but, I think, SIg's warranty is only one year). The Navy really isn't any "better" than the standard 226 except for some added corrosion resistance to the innerds, and of course, the unique NSW (NavalSpecialWarfare) serial number. The 226 is a very durable weapon so it's doubtful it would break on you....

The only test would be to sight it in from bench rest for accuracy. It's really rare that the 226 has FTE/FTF issues. They seem to prefer 124 gr loads (which is standard for NATO these days).

Also if you reload, the Sig 226 with the stainless slide (which is the way the Navy comes) the gun is hard on the brass. I bought a used, plain steel slide on my Navy 226 as I hated the way the brass got deformed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts