Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Got ammo?
336 Posts
Hi,

This is incredible. Those speeds from a satellite connection are amazing. I've dealt with HughesNet and while the download speed was (barely) passable the upload speed was dismal. Do I have to buy a Tesla to get in good with our buddy Elon and hope for a beta invitation? ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Interesting. On the ships I have worked on, they use a few different types of satellite based internet and VOIP phone. It's.... um.... ok. Better than nothing. Better than old dial up. Weather gives it a problem and atmospherics. Can't tell you how many times I was screwing with the antenna to keep a customer happy, and tech support was telling me I moved into a bad area. Usually I was like screw yourself buddy...... we haven't moved a foot in more than 6 months... (or whatever the time frame was).

It's been a little while, and I am sure it has gotten better. Would love to see them start giving competition to the terrestrial wire/fiber based networks. There will most likely be pretty significant prices or caps on high data usage though I would assume.

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
Old satellite pings were in the upper 300~ms
The new stuff is supposed to be closer in and have much faster response times

Gonna be interesting!

·
Registered
Got ammo?
336 Posts
Hi,

so not geosynchronous?
Recent launches by the SpaceX rockets have brought the total up to 800 satillites in low Earth orbit. Seems like a mesh network in space.

Elon Musk's SpaceX launches controversial Starlink satellites

But that makes for a lot of traffic in orbit. Astronomers are complaining. I wonder how it will affect future NASA launches.

BassCliff

·
Registered
Got ammo?
336 Posts
Hi,

Starlink review from an actual user.

That's a pretty great review. That guy practically lives off the grid. His Youtube channel is all about homesteading, good stuff. Thanks for sharing that!

BassCliff

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My understanding on this is that unlike the current satellite internet providers where you have to point your dish at a single point near the equator, there are bunches of these things in orbit and you connect to one while it's flying over and then switch to the next one, etc. Much like a cell phone network.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts