Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An acquaintance of mine is selling his Star Firestar M45 (a compact, all steel, single action, single stack 45ACP.) Blued finish, less than 300 rounds through it. Basically a safe queen, and selling for financial reasons. $200 plus transfer cost. I handled it and inspected it. Looks brand new.

Aside from Star being out of business and parts a bit hard to find, is there any reason, mechanically, that I shouldn't buy this immediately?

If anyone here has owned or shot one, what were your impressions of the M45's fit, finish, and reliability?

This would be my first 45ACP.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I have no personal experience with the .45 but I often conceal carry my M40 and love it. Very compact and thin, goes bang every time, shoots right where i point it, no problems at all for me. Bought it in 1990 I believe and probably have 3500-4000 rounds through it now. It digests everything I've tried in it so far, fmj, hp, plated reloads, ranger-t's.

It is a little snappy with the 40's in such a small handgun but you get used to it.

HTH.

-steve

ps, mine is the starvel finish.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I've got an M43 (9mm) in the safe. Nice little gun. Shoots pretty well and solid enough but, as you know, spare parts are scarce. Mine occasionally has feeding issues although I rarely shoot it. Wolff has some replacement springs but spare mags can cost $40+ when you can find them. Gunshow was the only place I could really find them. For $200 it's not a bad deal.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Buy it! U will have no regrets.

The only modern triple lug lock
up barrel that I know of. Which
is good.

Have had mine in Starvel finish
for a long time. It serves me well.
Never a problem with it.

Ed

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Firestar M45 is a great gun, still my favorite, but now parts may be an issue. I found what I think is a pretty good source, but I'm not going to just order spares for everything. What are the most likely parts I may need to replace because of wear or failure?

Sarco, Inc. - Star Firestar M45

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Great gun! :D

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
$200 makes it a no-brainer. Between Brownell's and Numrich, you might be surprised in what you can still get as far as parts, should you need them. ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah, I hope the OP took that deal, I've seen them listed and sold for more than twice as much. IIRC, I paid $287 for mine brand new in 1991.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I think I have a magazine or two in my "random parts" bin Haha. Old memories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts