Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I had to shake my head at the quote about...

"The Florida Supreme Court has since decided that judges need to evaluate a defendant's claim for protection under "Stand Your Ground" before trial"

Is our justice so inept these days that they had to tell the judges to evaluate the case... isnt that what JUDGES DO??

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
What's to evaluate? It's either the law or it isn't.

Thankfully, in SC, there "is no duty to retreat", and "Castle Doctrine" applies to your person "as long as you're in a place you're you have a legal right to be."

A local Sheriff said, "If someone breaks into your home, you may assume they are there to harm you - not to just rob you - and you may act accordingly."

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had to shake my head at the quote about...

"The Florida Supreme Court has since decided that judges need to evaluate a defendant's claim for protection under "Stand Your Ground" before trial"

Is our justice so inept these days that they had to tell the judges to evaluate the case... isnt that what JUDGES DO??
Yeah, it's what judges do, but this instruction is about when they should do it. They could leave it to the jury to evaluate the claim during the trial, but the Florida Supreme Court wants them to do it before and presumably dismiss the charges if it's a valid case of self-defense.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What's to evaluate? It's either the law or it isn't.
Well, you have the law and you have the facts of case. The evaluation in this case would be did the threat justify the use of lethal force. If yes, dismiss the charges. If no or it's in doubt, proceed with the trial.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I like "sparking outrage among state prosecutors, who have since called for the law to be repealed."

Pricks shouldn't have been prosecuting people for self defense simply because they could. I hope they are outraged. I think they have like a 97% conviction rate... whats for the jury to decide anymore. Its pretty much a given that if you get indicted you get convicted.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I love living in the South and being a "Castle Doctrine" state.....Is'nt so nice of the Law to allow us the authority given by birth do protect ourselfs.....LOL It's good to have but still it should go without saying!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts