Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just curious if there is a stainless bolt carrier group? i know they make hard chrome ones. im just curious to why there isn't a stainless steel one. it seems like it would work just as good as the regular steel (non-chromed) one and would provide an extra level of corrosion resistance.

so i dont really want one or think its needed im just wondering if anyone can think of a reason to why no one has made a stainless BCG. i do really like the look of the hard chromed ones and i would like to get one, but its mostly a looks thing

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
The big advantage, other than being a quality made product, is its weight. These are lighter and produce alot less felt recoil especially on the slam home to chamber and they are total reliable. Couple that with a H buffer and you can stay on target much easier. The bolt he sells with this is much better than others.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so is there a real advantage to using these stainless bolt carriers?
Is it worth the $200 price tag?
i dont think its so much the material but more that its a really high quality product

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Why is it that if anything is expensive I instantly want it?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It's not stainless, but my Young National Match AR-15 chrome bolt group is very nice. It has tighter tolerances and less play. The chrome is easy to clean. It is forward assist compatible and adds a little extra mass (to absorb more recoil energy?).

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not stainless, but my Young National Match AR-15 chrome bolt group is very nice. It has tighter tolerances and less play. The chrome is easy to clean. It is forward assist compatible and adds a little extra mass (to absorb more recoil energy?).

yea i would way rather have that one then the stainless one, but i wouldnt mind having a stainless BCG if it were the standard design.but i really dont want to loose the forward assist function so the JP bolt isnt that appealing to me at all. but i will probably end up buying a chrome BCG for my SBR, i really like the looks of it and plus you get the benefits of wear resistance and ease of cleaning also so it sounds like a win win. i was going to send mine off to get chromed but it only costs a little bit extra to just buy one allready like that, and then i could just sell my standard one to cover some of the cost or just keep it as a backup

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I thought a majority of BCG's were chrome plated, but my shop's are all black.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought a majority of BCG's were chrome plated, but my shop's are all black.
i wouldnt say the majority are chromed, black is far more common then chrome

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
i wouldnt say the majority are chromed, black is far more common then chrome
The black is non chromed right? A phosphate coating of some kind?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The INSIDE where the bolt rides should be chrome no matter what.

We had a shooter this past weekend at a Pat Rogers class with issues with is chrome Young's BCG. Worked great with the Colt replacement.

I see screwing around with the BCG to be a less than optimal way to spend money on a carbine. Many seem to go this route just to have something else to spend money on or toss at the gun.

Buy a high quality standard M16 BCG from LMT or Bravo Company and drive on. Unless you have a specific need for something else and understand what/why/how that something else meets that need you may be opening yourself up for problems.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I agree that a super expensive BCG is not the most efficient way to spend your upgrade dollars. However, I thought the Young NM BCG was reasonably priced. I only bought one Youing BCG (I have a small collection of AR's) for my cost-is-no-object Varmint Project, basically to add to the spec list. This way I have a spare standard BCG. I don't expect much (or any) difference in accuracy, as I am the limiting factor here, not the gun. The markings on the chromed bolt that came with my Young BCG are Colt (Young makes the carrier), so as far as quality and headpsace, I feel confident with it. The carrier fits the receiver with tighter tolerances, so it is not unreasonable to expect it to require some break-in time for it to work in all uppers.

Also Young makes several versions of their BCG, some (like mine) have 1/2 ounce more mass for shooting regular or high power ammo. Others are lighter for low power match ammo.

The old logic was not to mix and match bolts and guns as there can be head space problems. I was considering buying head space measuring tools, but I think the tolerances are better in modern AR's. I have not had any problems like blown primers or poor feeding, so I think I am good. The safest way would be to have a gunsmith check the head space for you if you do swap bolts.

If you swap BCG's it is also a good idea to test the fit/alignment of the gas key and gas tube. This is can done with the upper removed from the lower and the bolt removed from the carrier. I have not had any problems, but you never know how any given gas key will align with any given gas tube.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i just bought a young national match chrome bolt carrier group, but only because everything else is on back order. I was looking for an LMT or CMT bolt carrier group.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts