Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinkin if it'd be a good idea of rotating the rounds in my mags while using for carry.
Just curious as to how many people do this.
I've heard stories about some hollows not goin through heavy clothing etc.
Thanks for the info
I normally carry 124gr Gold Dots, but have some really nice Nato rounds that I could throw in with em just in case.....same grainage.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Actually, I do the same thing, kind of...

My Carry round is Federal 147 gr. JHP.. My primary mag (The one in the pistol) has 15 rounds of that ammuntion.

If (and I mean "if" because I rarely do) carry my back-up-mag holster with me.. (it holds two mags.) they are topped off with five rounds of the carry ammo, and ten rounds each of UMC, WWB, or whatever FMJ round I am plinking with at the time.

The way I figure it.. If I get through the first 15 +1 rounds of the carry round and that doesn't do the job.. The next 30 rounds I have on me will be a matter of quantity and not quality.

I have considered staggering the back-up-mags 2/1.. but the plinking rounds have a very different feel to them. I am not sure which is really the better method.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i rotate too.

Winchester Ranger SXT
Whichester White Box
Winchester Ranger SXT
Winchester White Box
ect.
ect.

you get the pattern. :wink:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I load alternate rounds in my Kel-Tec 380, Hydrashocks and FMJ's or CorBons and FMJ's. I do the same in my 9x18 Makarov. Anything 9x19mm and up I just use good JHP's, usually Corbons, Starfires, Hornadys or Hydrashocks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the opinions. I've been pondering this for quite awhile now.
Just never asked about it till now.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Well all the research points to using the most reliable ammo in whatever firearm you carry. So if your "whatever" box ammo works the best and is the most accurate, then that is what you should carry. I was reading Massad Ayoob's edition of the Gun Digest Bok Of Combat Handgunnery and he says the most reliable hollow points are not allways the heaviest ones. Like 124+p is so far the most reliable manstopper of the 9mm size. If you want to rotate then go ahead. Just make sure the ammo is more than reliable for you handgun, and do research on your chosen hollow point design. Personally I carry 124+p Gold dot ammo in my 9mm highpower. I have found the gold dot to be the most reliable design next to the Star-fire from PMC. I just can't find any locally. The book also state that most police agencies have stopped using the 147gr HP because of raliability issues as far as expantion goes. So for the answer to you question of Hardball vs HP rotaions? Make sure there are HPs in the mag and you will not go wrong.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I cycle my JHP about every month or two.

Two goals:

1 - To get fresh ammo into the XD.

2 - To learn which JHP works the best in the XD40.

Goal 2 supercedes. Have been carrying for about a year, and have so many tests to perform.

Hornady 155 grn JHP/XTP is the most accurate ammo for my XD 40 so far. Going to try TAP soon.

-Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just stay away from the goofy gimicks, and go with Gold Dot, Black Hills (Gold Dot bullets) Ranger, Golden Saber rounds. The problem with a hollow point bullet is not that it won't go through clothing, but that the nose cavity can get clogged and will not expand, thus over penetration, not under penetration. A plugged nose cavity can act the same as a fmj (over penetration without expansion. I see no useful purpose to mixing rounds. Pick a reputable round that functions 100% in your weapon. Keep it simple and reliable.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Dogjaw says
A plugged nose cavity can act the same as a fmj (over penetration without expansion.
He’s got it right; Gimmicks are for days past when there were no reliable Hollow points available. With newer designs and better metal usage (bonded bullets, plated softer leads).
Personally 15 holes poked in the bad guy is better than 15 holes poked in you. 15 rounds, god if you get off that many rounds you are at war! That’s not s fire fight that is all out war. Even with a fail to stop drill I can't see needing that many rounds. So I would carry whatever the heck I wanted. Especially what I have confidence in as my defensive ammo. Think about the shooting that happened in Compton weeks ago. 93 rounds and the suspect (in a suburban) was hit 3 times. Oh yeah and one cop was hit by crossfire. Just remember you can stagger or you can go with one ammo only, but my opinion is you should carry high quality Hollow point ammo in you firearm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would think that staggering ammo in a single magazine would throw off your follow-up shot. If you are planning on trying it, make sure you test it out at the range. Remember: train like you fight and you will fight like you train.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've often considered this as well, but it seems like it could potentially be a bad idea. If for some reason the bg you're facing is in a highly populated location for whatever reason and you don't know what type of round is in the pipe, would you still fire? If it's a fmj round and you hit him it could go right through and hit someone behind, but it could be a jhp...you never know. I guess for me it'd be comforting knowing exactly what is going to come out the barrel of my pistol when I pull the trigger so that there are no costly suprises.

I suppose I'd have to think about it. Maybe carrying 2 mags (one jhp, one fmj) would be a better idea for me, I dunno.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
omegaic said:
I would think that staggering ammo in a single magazine would throw off your follow-up shot. If you are planning on trying it, make sure you test it out at the range. Remember: train like you fight and you will fight like you train.

how would it throw off the follow up shot?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I carry all hollow points. If clothing gets caught in the bullet it acts like ball anyway. If it doesnt then we get a big wound.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Waldo said:
I carry all hollow points. If clothing gets caught in the bullet it acts like ball anyway. If it doesnt then we get a big wound.
Exactly, there's no need to alternate your ammo like that.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
kabob983 said:
If for some reason the bg you're facing is in a highly populated location for whatever reason and you don't know what type of round is in the pipe, would you still fire? If it's a fmj round and you hit him it could go right through and hit someone behind, but it could be a jhp...you never know. I guess for me it'd be comforting knowing exactly what is going to come out the barrel of my pistol when I pull the trigger so that there are no costly suprises.

The problem I see with this logic is that it's very easy to miss a target. Pulling the trigger when there is someone behind the threat (that you do not want to shoot) is not a good idea no matter what kind of ammunition you have loaded. It seems like a lot of people seem over confident in their marksmanship that in almost all cases has never been tested under real-life conditions. It is one thing to shoot at paper targets that don't shoot back. It's quite another thing to shoot at a live target that does shoot back. I believe the statistics for police is that they miss something like 80% of the time. Whatever the actual percentage is, they do miss. We would all miss a whole lot more under the kind of stress that comes with the need to shoot to defend your life than we do at the range.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
245 Posts
mcone said:
I cycle my JHP about every month or two.

Two goals:

1 - To get fresh ammo into the XD.

2 - To learn which JHP works the best in the XD40.

Goal 2 supercedes. Have been carrying for about a year, and have so many tests to perform.

Hornady 155 grn JHP/XTP is the most accurate ammo for my XD 40 so far. Going to try TAP soon.

-Mike
I just realized that I misunderstood your question when I gave my answer earlier. My apologies -

My carry setup consist of 36 rounds of the same ammo in three mags. One in the chamber for 37 total. Hornady preferred.

Someone recommended a round of snake-shot as the first load for blinding the bad guy. I won't do it, as it will probably just make him more determined to bring me down, along with the possibility for spread outside the target.

- Mike

·
Registered
245 Posts
Delija said:
I believe the statistics for police is that they miss something like 80% of the time. Whatever the actual percentage is, they do miss.
I assume that you mean a complete miss of the bad guy's body. I wonder how they came up with that percentage? I can imagine circumstances where the 80% would be 80% hit. Like close encounters.

- Mike

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd expect most police to miss quite often. The greater majority of police officers do not practice shooting very often at all, just qualify and then they don't take the pistol out of the holster till next year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
kabob983 said:
I'd expect most police to miss quite often. The greater majority of police officers do not practice shooting very often at all, just qualify and then they don't take the pistol out of the holster till next year.
That may be so. I admit that I did not spend a lot of time on the pistol range. On the other hand, if law enforcement agencies felt that shooting abilities were inadequate, they would require more range time.

Most police never fire their weapons. Those that do, and do often, practice often.

It depends on the job. SWAT guys, especially snipers would practice more than a beat cop.

My job required me to be armed at all times. Yet for close to 20 of my 33 years I had as little probability of needing my weapon as my grandmother. The time I spent in protection details I did practice far more often. I also practiced with weapons I had never handled (or even had the chance to handle) in my first 20 years.

Still, even with almost daily practice I don't know how accurate I would be shooting at an armed attacker as opposed to how accurate I was on the range. Thankfully I never got to find out.

Taj

1 - 20 of 23 Posts