Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i wanted to mate a RRA lower half to a Stag upper would that work fine without any modifications and would it perform well....

Im sorry if this sounds like a newb question but i am curious about black rifles and would like to build a nice one for not too terribly much...

Thanks in advance

Cadet Wilson

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Will it fit? Yes.

Will the RRA goodness rub off on the Stag? Probably not.

Be careful about mixing animal logoed brands though. For example, the DPMS Panther doesn't get along with the Stag.

But seriously, RRA makes great lowers (and uppers) and Stag makes great uppers. Should be a great combo.

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
Be careful about mixing animal logoed brands though. For example, the DPMS Panther doesn't get along with the Stag.
Oh, I don't know about that. My Snake lower and Pony upper seem to get along just fine.

I always refer to it as my Chimera AR.;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i figure i can put the two together for around 800 so i can save myself some money there but i still have to clear it with mission control IE the wife....

Thanks guys

Cadet Wilson

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Will it fit? Yes.

But seriously, RRA makes great lowers (and uppers) and Stag makes great uppers. Should be a great combo.

What do the serial numbers start with on a RRA lower ?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Will it fit? Yes.

Not trying to hijack or anything, but are you inferring that Stag doesn't make good lowers? I've never heard that before and it'd be news to me, so I just wanted to clarify.

To the OP: as everyone else has said, these two should work fine. Both are quality, as far as I've ever heard (I have a Stag lower that seems to be of fine quality).

joe

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
To clarify (at your request and hoping not to offend Stag owners) I bought a NIB Stag 2T complete carbine. The upper half (Samson quad rail) was excellent. The bare lower itself was fine, but several of the original Stag lower parts were lacking (to put it mildly) and had to be replaced (I used RRA parts) at my own expense and time. It turned out to be a somewhat expensive hobby, getting my 2T up to par, but it is a great gun now. I tallied it up if you would like to see. That was just my experience with this one Stag. Your mileage may vary.

Click here to launch my Stag Arms 2T Tirade (You have been warned)
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/91704-stag-arms-2.html

·
Registered
469 Posts
i have a stag lower, with a dpms lpk and waiting for my 2ht upper so hopefully i dont run into any problems

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
My recent AR build employed a Stag lower and a Rock River upper. They fit fine and work perfectly together. Rock River barrels are kind of "middle-of-the-road", quality-wise, but they're fine for my purposes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
my stag lower and rock river upper have no play between them, they fit great together.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
To clarify (at your request and hoping not to offend Stag owners) I bought a NIB Stag 2T complete carbine. The upper half (Samson quad rail) was excellent. The bare lower itself was fine, but several of the original Stag lower parts were lacking (to put it mildly) and had to be replaced (I used RRA parts) at my own expense and time. It turned out to be a somewhat expensive hobby, getting my 2T up to par, but it is a great gun now. I tallied it up if you would like to see. That was just my experience with this one Stag. Your mileage may vary.

Click here to launch my Stag Arms 2T Tirade (You have been warned)
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/91704-stag-arms-2.html
oh did you mean the over embelished numbers where you expected STAG to add all your preferential parts, AMMO, carrying bags, slings, optics

I was really surprised that you weren't upset that the CEO didn't call you up and take you out for a nice fine meal. given you paid $1130 and then didn't even afford them opportunity to make it right by sending you $31 worth of parts.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think I was pretty clear in my tally as to what was required, upgrade, optional, and accessory. The tally is just what was needed to make the gun ready for my specific requirements. I mentioned in the post you refer to that I am nit-picky. Individual requirements and preferences will vary. If owners want to economize on something that might have to be used in self-defense, they are free to do so. In my experience buying an AR-15 is only about half of the cost of the total weapons system. That reminds me, I did not include the cost of research, literature, spare parts, tax, shipping costs, gun safe, security, insurance, and cleaning kit. So my tally was actually rather conservative (low) in total cost. When I get the chance I will add that to the tally. Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I think I was pretty clear in my tally as to what was required, upgrade, optional, and accessory. The tally is just what was needed to make the gun ready for my specific requirements. I mentioned in the post you refer to that I am nit-picky. Individual requirements and preferences will vary. If owners want to economize on something that might have to be used in self-defense, they are free to do so. In my experience buying an AR-15 is only about half of the cost of the total weapons system. That reminds me, I did not include the cost of research, literature, spare parts, tax, shipping costs, gun safe, security, insurance, and cleaning kit. So my tally was actually rather conservative (low) in total cost. When I get the chance I will add that to the tally. Thanks for bringing it up.
Seriously, get over yourself... Your ish is getting old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a couple of CMT (they make Stag) upper receivers that would need a little metal removed from around the takedown lug to fit onto the RRA lowers that I have. RRA lowers are 'high shelf', thus that area can run a little tight if the upper has a big lug. This condition shows up by making the takedown pin extremely tight to insert and darn near impossible to remove without a punch. It's not a bad thing as a little tweaking will give you an extremely tight lockup and nothing cosmetically is harmed. If you encounter this, a few minutes with a very fine file, a little touchup, and you'll be good to go.
Enjoy your new rig!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a RRA lower with a Stag 2H upper on it. It is my favorite, and most accurate rifle of my 3. I replaced the buffer with a 9mm one, just because it is my preference, and installed a Magpul trigger guard, and that is pretty much it.

Sorry for the poor pic. I need to get a newer one up that shows the Magpul trigger guard on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts