Springfield XD Forum banner

stag deer

5K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Barbarossa 
#1 ·
i want to color the deer white, and the 223 and other markings RED

i know some people said with crayon and something else?

how easy? Is there a guide or video out there?

#6 ·
+1 on what T.J. said.

Crayon is easy to do, but will need redone depending on how much you use the rifle, how dirty it gets and how it is cleaned. It is very easy to fill in with a crayon, but also easy to mess it up once it is done.

The lacquer is pretty permanent unless you plan on removing some of the finish on your lower at the same time you remove the lacquer and then plan to refinish the entire lower.

#7 ·
do you fill in the lettering on your hammers and circular saws?

if you really want to color, why not get a coloring book?:confused:

if you would like to highlight the safe/fire markings to more easily differentiate them for newer shooters, i can get behind that. that serves a legitimate purpose. coloring the brand roll marks? useless.

#8 ·

if you would like to highlight the safe/fire markings to more easily differentiate them for newer shooters, i can get behind that. that serves a legitimate purpose. coloring the brand roll marks? useless.
alot of things that we do border on useless or semi useless for us common ppl. :cool:

but we do them anyways, same with coloring in the rollmarks. even HK colors in their roll mark on the 416.

I've heard crayon and then hit it with clp.

#13 ·
I guess it's a good thing that he is coloring in the rollmark on his own rifle and not yours. ;) I must have missed where the OP asked for others to justify him adding some color to his rifle...:rolleyes:

#15 ·
I guess it's a good thing that he is coloring in the rollmark on his own rifle and not yours. ;) I must have missed where the OP asked for others to justify him adding some color to his rifle...:rolleyes:
is it illegal to ask someones motivation for a seemingly meaningless activity?
and someone needs to take that rolly eyes smiley away from you. so snotty....:D

#17 ·
i dunno...firearms arent toys. rubs me wrong when it seems like people are treating them like toys. using crayolas on them or whatever.

im not saying you cant do that stuff. I just question your motivation. Id like folks to question their OWN motivation. "wait, why the hell am i doing this??? this isnt a toy, it isnt a pretty piece for my mantle, does this make my firearm work better or more user friendly, safer, more accurate, is what i am doing a good substitute for practicing with my firearm?? Am i just doing it because i think it "looks cool"?? Is that an appropriate motivation to do ANYTHING to my firearm???......"

#20 ·
ARin, your replies aren't like you... Everything alright?

I think a lot of the whole "coloring in" comes from the H&K products. A lot of people like that look so they will try to emulate it themselves. I really don't see the problem with coloring in the "Safe" and "Fire", it does make it more visible when you are looking at it from afar. There are companies that will do some laser engraving, and A LOT of people like that, but, there is also a lot of people who will not pay for it and have this option as well.

Now if you wanted to rub peas all over your rifle... Then that's all on you, I myself would use corn! :)

#21 ·
I think a lot of the whole "coloring in" comes from the H&K products. A lot of people like that look so they will try to emulate it themselves. I really don't see the problem with coloring in the "Safe" and "Fire", it does make it more visible when you are looking at it from afar. There are companies that will do some laser engraving, and A LOT of people like that, but, there is also a lot of people who will not pay for it and have this option as well.

this thread did get slightly hostile for abit.

I decided to fill in my 'Safe' & 'Fire' and since I already had my 'crayons' out and I would have to clean the entire lower once I was done anyways, I decided to fill in my CMMG rollmark as well. my inspiration does come directly from HK, I like the look that they have by filling in all of the rollmark and fire selector.

I don't think its about making the firearm safer or more accurate, its about making it yours.

I say this with the utmost respect, it is not a shot at you, but I notice that your own rifle is custom painted(at least the upper and lower receiver)... it is all FDE or close to it, why? does it make it faster, more accurate, more user friendly or does it just make it your own personal firearm?

#22 ·
Well I thought about of doing it too, just havent(kinda like the all black look of the AR), but its like having a car and hopping it up (AR accessories)or putting a custom paint job on a car(having an XD slide painted or filling in the engravings),Making it your own if ya know what I mean.If thats what you like and then thats all that matters isnt it.To tell you the truth I think most of them look pretty nice.So I might do my P-dog AR and leave my Tactical AR alone then I will have one to make everyone happy ;):D

#23 · (Edited)
I say this with the utmost respect, it is not a shot at you, but I notice that your own rifle is custom painted(at least the upper and lower receiver)... it is all FDE or close to it, why? does it make it faster, more accurate, more user friendly or does it just make it your own personal firearm?
Are you talking to me or ARin? Cause my rifles are all black... ARin's on the other hand is FDE. I ask because, you quoted me, so I'm lead to believe that you are talking to me.

But I'll throw my 2 cents in there... Changing the full color of an AR does not make it faster, more accurate or user friendly. Some AR15 rifles are customized in that color to blend in with the environment it will be used for. For example, if you are a Sniper in a desert environment, would you leave your rifle in all black, or would you change the color to match more of what the environment will be?

I don't see anything wrong with coloring in your rollmarks, it's your rifle, do as you please with it.

I personally don't understand why the hostility all the sudden from ARin, he's generally more calm than this. So what's up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.