Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering why nobody has a guide rod and spring setup for the sub-compacts?? Is there any real reason nobody has taken their full sized Don's guide rod thrown it in a lathe and made it work for the subbie? Iw ould imagine the real problem would be a proper spring.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The spring is only one problem. The other is that when I bought a sub to do some R&D, I found that the brass ejected nice and tight to my body. This says that the slide velocity is already near optimum, and should not be messed with. If you shop for springs, you will see that there are a wide selection for the standard sized 1911, and the choice goes down as the barrel becomes shorter. And the complaints about operation go up as the barrel becomes shorter also. There is a narrow window of operation in a small pistol, and the XDSC seems to be just right as it is. So I am staying away from it.

What further complicates the spring choice in a striker fired pistol is that the recoil spring also acts to cock the striker. This means that it has to have a minimum force at the installed length and then progress to the full rating. It is a more difficult problem than just that of peak force, and very limited by the dimensions available. The factory did a good job on the SC spring.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since a sub-compact is normally a carry gun why would you want to add weight to it? Personally I carry a 45ACP Officer Model with an S&A mag well but I weigh 250 so the gun weight is relative.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not so much as adding weight with the guide rod, but more so as to matching recoil and case extraction to my liking via a different spring weight. I am half tempted to buy a guide rod machine it down and have a spring made to "pfft" out casings instead of launching them above my head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts