Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it seems like all I do on this forum is ask questions, but, I have another one. My wife has a XD40 now but has decided that she would like something a little smaller. You can imagine that I am not trying to talk her out of adding a gun to our safe. I want her to have a compact so she can carry it if she decides to exercise her ccw. Also, a compact could be a back-up for me. I also want it to be able to serve as a range gun so that rules out the pocket guns. Lastly, I want one with a manual safety because she has trouble racking the slide and a safety would provide, well, safety as she has to rack the slide. That brings us to the title of the thread. Anyone have experience with both of these? I have researched them both and they both seem great. There is nowhere around here that we can handle, much less shoot them. I have handled the SR9C and like the feel of it. As for price, $400-450 would be the limit (I am gonna get my Mosin at the same time, y'all talked me into it).

Thanks

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I would go M&P no questions only because I shot it the full size and loved it and I love the compact feel!!! I have no experience with the ruger.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know it seems like all I do on this forum is ask questions, but, I have another one. My wife has a XD40 now but has decided that she would like something a little smaller. You can imagine that I am not trying to talk her out of adding a gun to our safe. I want her to have a compact so she can carry it if she decides to exercise her ccw. Also, a compact could be a back-up for me. I also want it to be able to serve as a range gun so that rules out the pocket guns. Lastly, I want one with a manual safety because she has trouble racking the slide and a safety would provide, well, safety as she has to rack the slide. That brings us to the title of the thread. Anyone have experience with both of these? I have researched them both and they both seem great. There is nowhere around here that we can handle, much less shoot them. I have handled the SR9C and like the feel of it. As for price, $400-450 would be the limit (I am gonna get my Mosin at the same time, y'all talked me into it).

Thanks

Tankpilot, I have also been doing a bit of research into the same two choices for my wife. I dont ahve first hand shooting experience.

She also has difficulty racking some slides, but currently has a Glock 23 w/ 9mm conversion, which she can rack, but is considering a CWP.

The ruger has two immediate advantages. Thinner profile, and comes with an extended 17 round mag. But M&P 9 can use the full size 17 round mags as well so thats a non factor.

The M&P9c seems to be the ergonomic winner for most with its changeable backstraps. It seems to be very accurate for a subcompact, and extremely light recoiling with its low bore axis.

Took my wife to the gun store yesterday to try both. M&P came out on top. Ultimately it came down to the hand fit, and racking the slide. The SR9C was difficult, but the M&P was easy. Easier than her well broken in Glock 23.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the full size m&p and love it. It is a great gun all around. I was able to pick mine up for 419$. Not a bad deal. Rugers are also cool but I can only speak for the m&p since I own one. I do plan on purchasing an lc9 soon.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
When we were shopping for my Wife's pistol, both shoot equally well (for us). Over-All Feel in the hand, accuracy, recoil, etc were both very good. For my Wife, it boiled down to trigger feel. The SR9c trigger felt better (shorter/smoother stroke, etc), so she went with the SR9c.

Shoot both and see which feels better for you to shoot.

Indie... In your case, see which one your Wife enjoys shooting better, not you
(unless you plan on "inheriting" the pistol real quickly). ;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Both are great guns. The SR9c is slimmer and IMO has a better trigger from the factory. I think the M&P is a more robust design though, and I REALLY like the M&P with a Apex trigger. The M&P is without a doubt my favorite platform right now. At the end of the day they will both do their job when needed.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
The M&P is my favorite platform. That said, you mentioned a preference for a manual safety. The M&P has that as an option and may be not so easy to find. The SR9C has it standard. I'd have her try both but I think she might like the SR9C more.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Tough call. The M&P is a great gun, but the Ruger may conceal a tad better. Can't go wrong with either. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
dont know much about the sr9c. i bought my m&p 40c after trying out a friends m&p9c. it was soft recoiling, and very accurate even with rapid firing. with interchangable backstraps that swell into a perfect fit(atleast in my eyes), its hard to go wrong. it comes with 2 magazines, one is a flat floor plate and the other has a pinky extension to help ensure a full grip which is nice. the mag with the flat floorplate does help conceal but the weapon itself is a little bit fat and the trigger does leave something to be desired. ive only got about 200 rounds through it and it hasnt smoothed out much yet but i have heard great things about the apex dcaek trigger kit. just some food for thought. happy hunting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone have any knowledge of the Beretta PX4 sub-compact? After doing more research that seems to have the features I am looking for; manual safety, decocker, DA/SA, sub-compact. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You should be looking at the Kahr lineup. If she thinks the XD40 is too big then she will eventually thing an M&P compact is too big too. You might as well save that step in the progression, and go small right now.

I love my M&P 45c, but replaced it as my EDC a couple months ago with a Kahr CW45. Awesome gun! Small, light, reliable, and it's comfortable even in my big hams.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
M&P

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not a good choice either guns, I have an SR9 great gun and so is the SR9c let your wife
pick the gun she wants to use, To many guys pick out the gun and the wife never uses it! She probably does not need an automatic IMHO. Select a small revolver, something she can handle and it goes bang all the time without the racking etc. BUT if she wants an auto go with the Ruger, made in AZ USA built like a tank shoots anything and if you need service they are there. Good luck on whatever she decides

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I've got an m&pc in .40 and I shoot it better then my full size xdm 9 . So my vote goes to the m&p. I was stuck between the two pistols that you are and ended up going m&p based off how awesome it feels in the hand. Not a single regret to date. Plus I just picked up a factory 9mm barrel off midway for 65 dollars and it works like a charm. Not to mention you can get a mag adapter and use the full size magazines in the m&p. Not sure if you can do that with the ruger.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
both suck lol, to each his own right
I would love to know your experience behind this comment. I can't talk about the ruger, but the M&P is being found out to be one of the most reliable and durable handguns out there right now.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've got an m&pc in .40 and I shoot it better then my full size xdm 9 .
Same here. I shoot my M&P9c better than my XDm9.

I would love to know your experience behind this comment. I can't talk about the ruger, but the M&P is being found out to be one of the most reliable and durable handguns out there right now.
+1. Lol at the know it all mall ninja.

·
Registered
130 Posts
sr9c is a fine weapon made in the usa ruger has very good customer support if you need it. I hv a sr9 my soninlaw has sr9c n I would highly recommend the c. It depends on how the feel to you or some else. Ruger makes good product. Good luck regardless of ur choice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts