Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My Springfield XD9 Service 9mm 4" barrel with new Raptor slide causes a dead trigger every other pull. So basically what is happening is that the trigger wont reset with the new custom slide. I have about 500 rounds total through the new slide, 200-300 to break it in and another 200 trying to trouble shoot a dead trigger. What happens at the range every time is that I get 1 shot in after a new mag and then a dead trigger. Sometimes by letting go of the trigger and pressing it a few times I am able to get the gun to fire, and sometimes I have re-rack the slide to get it to fire. Every time I encounter this situation the firing pin indicator is showing cocked. All the internals are from DV8, however they are not very good at responding. Overall I do not recommend their services to anyone who expects some sort of communication either during the waiting period (6 months for me) or troubleshooting (2 weeks for me). Below I will have a video showing the malfunction and I also have a side by side of the slides if that helps. If you look at the extractor on the DV8 slide you can see wear, that is me realizing it wasn't properly fitted when delivered and I figured that may be an issue. I have since pushed it into its proper place and I still get the same malfunction. Any help will be appreciated. Video: Springfield XD9 Service 9mm 4" trigger failure with new DV8 slide.
Wood Fixture Gas Hardwood Electrical wiring

·
Registered
121 Posts
Personally i would dispute the transaction with your credit card company. Purchased product does not function properly, and after spending hundreds of dollars and many hours have not been able to diagnose or fix the problem. Further the company will not respond or correct the problem.
Throw the unreliable piece of crap away, and if necessary eat the loss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally i would dispute the transaction with your credit card company. Purchased product does not function properly, and after spending hundreds of dollars and many hours have not been able to diagnose or fix the problem. Further the company will not respond or correct the problem.
Throw the unreliable piece of crap away, and if necessary eat the loss.
I mean, I'm not there yet. I like to fiddle with things and get them working prior to taking it to that extreme. Also having waited almost 6 months to get a slide, I sorta don't want to bail on it if its an EZ fix that I am missing. I am hoping its something silly, like maybe a faulty firing pin or something... I have been given a suggestion to replace to recoil spring assembly...so that's what I am looking into but thought maybe people here had a bit more experience with this type of trigger failure.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can appreciate where you are at. That said I will not tolerate unreliable guns, gun parts or parachutes. If my life depends on it, it (whatever it is) must be as reliable as humanly possible.
PS: AT first glance the slide does not appear to be precision quality. Seems as though you have two things against you. 1. Inferior non-functioning product. 2. Company who will not respond with you.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If I were you go as public as possible with it. Any social media platform. When it comes to firearms RELIABILITY is number 1. I'd much rather get the factory slide milled than use a custom 1. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took apart the entire gun including firing pin, cleaned it and same problem. I even swapped out all the OEM components from the original slide to the DV8 slide and still same problem. Attached is a picture of the swapped firing pins other than the extractor.
Wood Publication Hardwood Cylinder Composite material

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just looked up DV8 Dynamics. The website looks very nice, made in USA, etc and they claim a lifetime warranty. Your photo does not match high quality description on their website. :)
Looked up reviews and BBB rating for DV8 and it's a wonder they have not been sued into oblivion. This co is a disaster. I predict you will not get any satisfaction from them. Best thing you can do is contest the purchase with your credit card co and leave negative reviews.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have done a lot of troubleshooting searching and just trying to figure out how my handgun works in order to be able to see what the problem is. At this point I honestly feel there is a slight issue with where the firing pin sits in the slide on the DV8 slide. It seems like the hole where it was cut is sitting maybe 1 or 2 millimeters higher than the OEM firing pin. If you look at the picture 1 and 2 provided I show that regardless of which parts I use your provided or OEM..the firing ping catch on the DV8 slide sits higher, and therefor won't always release when pulling the trigger in picture 3. Again if you look at 1 and 2, it doesn't matter which parts I use, they create the same problem. I have extensively fired both slides and the DV8 one will always fire 1 shot after racking it and then give me a dead, but cocked trigger. I know this since I have a firing pin indicator on my XD9 on the rear plate. If I keep depressing the trigger and play with it...sometimes slowly working it back and sometimes just a quick pull I can get it to release and then fire the loaded round in the chamber. Whatever the problem is, it is not related to the lower assembly of the gun, moving parts, barrel or recoil spring. At least they have reached out to me now and are saying they are going to have a tech reach out to me..saw the noise about them online like you mentioned and ya doesn't look good.
Office supplies Automotive tire Wood Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Poorly machined. Disconnector groove isn’t up to spec, that could be part of the problem.
This is where you need to look. From what you are describing it sounds like the disconnector hump on the trigger bar is not popping up in to the groove machined in the slide. When you say that if you wiggle and work the trigger it sometimes works this tells me that is where to look. Or if this company sent all of their own springs the trigger spring may be to weak. The hooked leg of the trigger spring that goes under the trigger bar is what pushes the trigger bar back up into the disconnector groove. I started experiencing a dead trigger on my XD9 tactical when the PRP reduced power trigger spring got worn out and to week to push the trigger bar up. If this is the case you could try just putting the factory trigger spring back in. I would bet one of these two things is to blame. Either poor tolerance or a weak trigger spring. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is where you need to look. From what you are describing it sounds like the disconnector hump on the trigger bar is not popping up in to the groove machined in the slide. When you say that if you wiggle and work the trigger it sometimes works this tells me that is where to look. Or if this company sent all of their own springs the trigger spring may be to weak. The hooked leg of the trigger spring that goes under the trigger bar is what pushes the trigger bar back up into the disconnector groove. I started experiencing a dead trigger on my XD9 tactical when the PRP reduced power trigger spring got worn out and to week to push the trigger bar up. If this is the case you could try just putting the factory trigger spring back in. I would bet one of these two things is to blame. Either poor tolerance or a weak trigger spring. Good luck.
Sorry I may have misspoke but when I said they sent their own springs and components I meant for the slide. Everything on the lower half is OEM and works flawlessly when I fire with the OEM slide/parts. At this point I am almost 100% sure malfunction occurs on the firing pin and trigger release which I point out in picture 3 and 4. DV8 has said they will reach out to me, I fear that the issue is where the firing pin hole was bored out, that is the only logically explanation of why the firing pin/trigger release catch sits 1 or 2 millimeters above the OEM slide. Again if you look at my previous post I explain that I swapped all the parts from slide 1 and 2 and both firing pin releases sit higher on the DV8 slide and both fit perfectly on the OEM slide. If I am right and that is the case, I can't imagine a reliable fix for it. For now hoping I am wrong and that the tech support will actually reach out to me and give me a proper explanation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: the tech support was underwhelming and for the last 3 days I've been told I'm going to have to return my slide for inspection and that DV8 will send me a new slide. But I have yet to receive a return lable or communication regarding the matter. I'll keep updating the forum in case others experience similar issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did they say they would send a shipping label?
They did, today I sent them a long winded email saying I was disappointed. They responded with, have you checked your spam...which I had. 5min later I got a shipping label. I then asked if I was going to have to wait another 5 months for a non defective slide. Still no word.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts