Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys bear with me as this is my first "Range Report". This was my second time out with my new pistol. And also keep in mind my second time shooting a pistol. Anyway I get there and load up my mag, do your usual loading procedures. And aim the pistol, gently oh so gently squeeze the trigger. And........Boom, there went the first round, just missing about 2" South West of the bullseye. So I correct my P.O.A. (Point of Aim) and go about 1/2" NE of the Bullseye. Gently squeezing the trigger.......BOOM another round flying downrange at over 1000fps. deadcenter bullseye. To make a long story short, if I could figure out how to set up my sights, realign them I mean. Then this pistol would be deadly accurate. As is I got the P.O.A. down pat in my head so I can correct for the lack of alingment.

Point of this story, to let you all know that the 4" service model in .45 GAP is awesome, wouldn't trade for anything. Dead on accuracy at 15yrds. Pistol shot group after group less than 1.5" when I did my part.

Go out by one I notice alot of you all on here do not own an XD in .45 GAP, definitely need to re-think that one!! 9mm size pistol with match quality accuracy and .45 caliber power. All in one package, truely Springfield has raised the bar with the addition of the XD in .45 GAP!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love the .45 cal. just not the GAP. i wish they made one in .45ACP. if they did i would buy three on them as soon as they hit the gunstore. Glad you like yours its a great hadgun. i love my .40 too

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in law enforcement, and I have to say that my XD45le is the only pistol that I will ever need. My service issuer is a Glock .45ACP, and I hate the thing. I would much rather use my GAP. I have the choice of either carrying my issuer or my XD off duty........ um, easy decision. I encorage everyone to go out and at least try one. I am not a big fan of the .40's (sorry guys), but I think you all would like this pistol.

·
Registered
462 Posts
In theory the .45GAP is a good idea, a cartridge with .45ACP ballistics that fits in a 9mm sized gun. The only thing is that creates a problem, how do you fit a magazine big enough to take a .451 cartridge in a space only designed for a .355 cartridge? The answer is you can't, so you widen the magazine and magazine-well just enough to fit the larger cartridge but still fit the 9mm sized grip, same thing for the .40S&W/357SIG. However since the magazine length cannot be any longer than the length of the grip you are still limited in the number of cartridges that can be fitted in the magazine. You end up with something more than a single-stack but well less than a double-stack.

Now along comes Springfield Armory with their XD45 which has a grip just slightly larger than that of a double-stack 9mm XD yet is capable of holding 13 rounds of full-sized .45ACP cartridges vrs 9 in their XD45GAP. Not only that but there are several companies making 8 and 10 round .45ACP magazines to fit standard 1911 sized frames, not to mention double-stack 1911s with grips not that much thicker than the standard 1911.

Even Glock realized his .45GAP wasn't going to be much of a seller, otherwise he wouldn't have brought out his own line of guns for the .45ACP. Btw, we had sheriff's department here in Missouri recently trade in their old 40S&W Glocks for new SA XD45s and not XD45LEs.

Like I originally said the .45GAP was a fairly good idea, in theory, but in practice not so great.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Glad to see some LE Agencies are starting to choose the XD. Springfield really hit the mark with the new XD 45acp. I might have to get one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts