Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've liked about the Springfield XD series through it's history is many had external thumb safeties. It seems few, if any have this. Does anyone think they will offer pistols with thumb safeties in the future?

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
There weren’t that many models that had thumb safeties, actually—just a few variants of the XD45.

The 9/.40 frame never had a thumb safety as an option.

And no, I doubt it. The thumb safety versions were discontinued several years ago...about the only one left us the XDE, and that’s a completely different animal than the usual XD.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was just watching a Clint Smith video on this today!! Lol. It’s on the FMG publication channel I think. Short little video about why they would add a thumb safety to the XD. From what he said, and it makes sense, is that it was to meet the requirements for LEO carry.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The grip safety, along with the bladed trigger safety and other safety features, negates any need for a thumb safety.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

First one I'd ever seen. Super price, too. Shoots good enough my youngest son ordered one a week or so after he shot mine.

Be aware, the trigger kits PRP sells for the XD 45s don't completely work in these guns due to the internal differences of a couple parts that are different from the standard XD pistols. The springs work, the trigger works. Best to call them (if you find one of these) and ask them what parts will fit it.

Mine has a very nice trigger, compared to factory. It's about 4 lbs. but very crisp with overtravel (PRP trigger) and reset improved.

Lately I've found I like those Safariland leg drop holsters and I even found one of those for it. It'll get carried some this winter when I have to start wearing a coat and more clothes to stay warm outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@M1A: Thanks for the post and heads up on the trigger kit. I'm guessing there are other outfits that make trigger kits for the XD.

·
Premium Member
20,350 Posts
I have a 4" bi tone 45 compact with external safety. Had it since 2004. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Carried it for years

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Trapperjohn1975

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got the XDE in .45 and like the safety it will also decock the gun. Push up and its on safe, push down and it decocks the gun. On safe you can rack the slide to load it. I also have a Springfield Range Officer Champion in .45 had a EGW trigger kit and trigger and that made a big difference

1 - 17 of 17 Posts