Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new handgun(actually my first gun that I own).

I know I want the XD 40 S&W but I dont know if I should go with the 4" or 5"(tactical)

The gun will be used for Home defense and protection and I will take it to the range for practice.

I wanted to know the advantages of either gun. I am pretty sure I will never need to conceal the weapon esp because I live California.

That said help me decide!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd go with 5"/Tactical if it's not going to be carried....at all.

I was in the Bay area when I purchased my 4"/services. At that time I just thought 5" barrel was too long, but... You'll be able to use Tactical for home defense, and still be able to enjoy better accuracy @ 25 yard (or even farther if you are good...)

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The 5" barrel is not any more accurate than the 4" barrel, but the longer sight radius can assist the shooter's aiming. 5" slightly higher veloccity and added weight may reduce flip somewhat.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Get the 5".
Higher weight = lower recoil.
Longer barrel = higher velocity.
Longer sight radius (distance between front and rear sights) = easier accurate aiming.

For Home Defense, get a gun light and not a laser. You want to be able to ID the target and what's behind it. A laser shows you where the bullet will hit, NOT what the target is. It's a real bummer to shoot a spouse that got up to go pee or get a glass of water, etc. The gun light will also help reduce muzzle flip due to the weight out front.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I have an XD 40 Tactical and it is the best handgun I've ever owned (after a PRP trigger kit). It is great on the nightstand and at the range.....and I CCW it everyday IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I can't tell the difference between the service and a Tactical once its in the holster so don't think you can't carry a 5" if want to at some point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Im surprised with the recommendations. I would have thought most would opt for the 4" for some reason. I was told that the 5" is mostly used for competition shooting and that a 4" would be the way to go. now im more confused hahah

I do want less recoil but at the same time I dont want a huge handgun. Hmm ill ponder some more.

THanks everyone

·
Registered
41 Posts
My friend has a 5" tactical. It doesn't feel much bigger than the 4" that I've held before (unless you have small hands). It's only an inch difference :)

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Wow Im surprised with the recommendations. I would have thought most would opt for the 4" for some reason. I was told that the 5" is mostly used for competition shooting and that a 4" would be the way to go. now im more confused hahah

I do want less recoil but at the same time I dont want a huge handgun. Hmm ill ponder some more.

THanks everyone
Obviously we don't want to confuse you. A 5" gun is a great nightstand weapon or CCW gun for some of us crazies. If you forced me to make a specific recommendation, I'd tell you to go with the 4" service model. It is a great gun and can easily fit into many niches you want it to in the future. Right now you may think you just want a gun on your nightstand but once you have become proficient with whatever you end up buying your needs and requirements could change. The 4" service can readily wear more "hats" than the other model for most people. My post waxing poetic about the Tactical is colored by my personal love for the gun. The best thing you can do is go to a shop that has both and hold them. Really look at them and feel them and see which one seems right to you. If one doesn't stand out and beg you to keep it and all things are equal, the safe bet is with the 4" service. Either way, if it has XD stamped on the side of it, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Don't be afraid of picking the wrong one. I had an 3" XD subcompact and wanted to trade it in for a Service. I ended up finding a used Tactical that I absolutely couldn't say no to and was able to trade the Subcompact straight-up for it. You mentioned this was your first gun. Let me be the first to tell you that guns can come and go. There is a huge used market for handguns full of quality pieces that will out-live you and your children. So once again, don't afraid that you are going to buy the wrong one. Also, like another person mentioned, make sure you have a flashlight in tandem with your nightstand gun. I only have a laser mounted on mine (a Crimson Trace) so that I can holster it but there is always a flashlight right beside it on the nighstand. Good luck and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Get the service model. The 1 extra inch in barrel length makes no differance in accuracy in home defence. It might help at 25+ yards but in your house it won't make an ounce of differance unless you are rich and have a home with rooms greater than 75 feet in length. Keep in mind a pistol is a short range weapon, for distances out past 25 yards get a shotgun or AR15 type weapon.

I have an XD45 service model and can make nice tight groups in the chest at 25 yards.

I have the TLR-3 light for my pistols and it is a very nice light. Brighter than the advertised 90 lumins and well built. It is compact also so it fits under the barrel better than most other lights. My only complaint is that the switch is out further from the trigger guard than some of my other lights and takes some practice to use proficiantly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Which do you recommend for a 'girl'? I'm a retired art teacher, own and love my XD9sc, and I really really want a 40 to shoot at the range, 21+ feet or more. The 4" barrel could work, feels good, but the lure of a 5", well...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Which do you recommend for a 'girl'? I'm a retired art teacher, own and love my XD9sc, and I really really want a 40 to shoot at the range, 21+ feet or more. The 4" barrel could work, feels good, but the lure of a 5", well...

If you want less recoil might want to change caliber, .40's are a bit harsher than 9mm/.45 if recoil is a concern, a 9mm will be better than a .40 regardless of model in terms of recoil imo. But if you just plain WANT a .40 by all means go for it. And as mentioned above definitely get the 5" + a light to have some extra weight down there.

I would also get the tactical over the service model (I actually use the XD45 tactical daily for CC) being its a range/HD only. Service or compact model if going to be for CC.

The one you hear about being used for competition is probably the XDm 5.25" also as it is marketed as a competition gun.

Above all get what you WANT and get real good at using it :p

Also, are you getting this *specifically* to shoot 21'+ ? If so i would urge even more to get a different caliber. A higher recoil round will cause shaky hands much sooner and a heavy gun will add to the shakes as your arms get tired if you spend time taking slow well aimed shots. If the only purpose is JUST to shoot at further distances, might be better off with what you have already.

·
Registered
29,750 Posts
There's no good reason not to get the 5", if that's what you want.

Personally, I'd steer you towards a M&P Pro .40 in the 5" model...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Find a range by your house that allows you to try a gun before you buy it. Try both the 5" and the 4" if XD is the way you want to go and then base your desision and how you shot off of that. we can go back and forth all day long about wich one you should get, but when it comes to protecting your family, you want the right firearm. There are many things that you can do to both firearms to make them have less muzzle flip and better trigger press and such but first things first, you need to go fire both of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts

My 115lb daughter shoots both her XDsc9 and my XDsc40. She has no problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts