Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of post asking this question. Heres my two cents. Have you ever seen the Glock posters that show their pistol next to a lady in her underwear, there's like three different ones. I guess they are trying to show how their pistol likens to the contours of a female body. Is this stupid or what? Who is their target audience? Whats the message, if you can 't get a woman get a glock? I'm sorry but if this is there marketing approach what the hell is going on in research and development? This really turned me away from glock, it's not the only thing, but come on..
Give me a company, springfield, that has a history of firearms development and practical application and really seems to understand what firearms are ment to be used for. IMHO.

"The glock is 1970's technology, now we have the XD" qoute from and old gun shop owner when I asked him to compare the two.

·
Registered
453 Posts
PA1749 said:
I see a lot of post asking this question. Heres my two cents. Have you ever seen the Glock posters that show their pistol next to a lady in her underwear, there's like three different ones. I guess they are trying to show how their pistol likens to the contours of a female body. Is this stupid or what? Who is their target audience? Whats the message, if you can 't get a woman get a glock? I'm sorry but if this is there marketing approach what the hell is going on in research and development? This really turned me away from glock, it's not the only thing, but come on..
Give me a company, springfield, that has a history of firearms development and practical application and really seems to understand what firearms are ment to be used for. IMHO.

"The glock is 1970's technology, now we have the XD" qoute from and old gun shop owner when I asked him to compare the two.
Sex Sells everytime. The target audience is males ages 13-100. Why do you think car ads have sexy women? :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
it's "niche" people I think...

I love my XD.. and my next pistol will most likely be another XD (sub compact, .40 because I need one!) But you have your 1911 people (I used to use those in the navy.. the Colt .45 which rattled like nobody's business.. but always went "bang") or the Ruger people that swear that the P series cant be beat! (A buddy of mine has a Ruger P-89 that I consider to be a complete pos... but don't dare tell him that.. he loves that thing!) and of course the H&K people.. who must be made of money! I would have loved to own a H&K P-7... But I can't afford a months pay to get one!

I dunno'... I like variety. Like I said, my next pistol will be a .40 subby in the XD variety.. then I would like a revolver.. I am looking at Taurus for that.. and Barreta makes some pretty sweet revolvers... For now though.. I need a shotgun.. I am leaning towards the 870.. and a buddy want's to sell his Yugo SKS.. but he wants $200 for it.. That's too much, so I think I will save up and get an AK...

I am not a "niche" person.. but if something works well for me.. I am inclined to stick with it.

Raymond

·
Registered
19 Posts
PA1749 said:
I guess they are trying to show how their pistol likens to the contours of a female body. Is this stupid or what? Who is their target audience?
Target market = Men. They're not trying to show how they're pistols are like a woman's body. They're just providing some "eye candy" as a gratuity for their target market. Ever see a pinup calendar at a garage or auto parts store?

Miss RSA http://www.redstararms.com/

Local gun shop http://thegunrunner.com/

-Wolf

·
Registered
580 Posts
women...sell...EVERYTHING. my mom wanted to know why she had to see half-naked women during the superbowl. i thought the answer was self-evident.

just happens that way. wasn't there a thread not too long ago, about some hot blonde chicks shooting springfields??? no "male oriented" business is immune to using the female species to further its profits and sales...its just good business.

so...you can buy the guns cause the chicks are hot...or you can ignore the girls, and buy the gun...cause the gun's good. either way, i don't think you're losing. :-D

·
Registered
144 Posts
PA1749 said:

Are you a female?

I don't think Glock is attempting any "message" to women buyers... the idea seems, to me anyway, to get the male buyer to take a look at their ad and to add some sex appeal to their product - not much more, and surely not much less...

·
Registered
17 Posts
i think if i would have seen a poster with chicks shooting the xd, i would have thought it was a girly gun and probably wouldnt have gotten it. im really glad i didnt see that poster. :D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Hey, whats wrong with sexy women holding sexy guns? Find something else to complain about... :twisted:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Choice of guns is a personal thing. I have had my Glocks for a while now, but I have to say that I prefer my XD-40 over my Glock 23. However, a firend of mine is just the opposite; he thinks his XD is just OK and that his Glocks are a gift from God. I've had other guns that people thought were wonderful that I didn't think were worth the time I spent shooting them and couldn't trade them fast enough. It's all just a matter of opinion.

As for women in the ads; sex sells. It always has and probably always will. Even the best products will use whatever it takes to get your attention. As for my opinion, the only thing better than women and guns is naked women and guns!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have what you see below, and all have yet to jam on me or give me a lick of trouble.. i will say, however, that the glock kicks like a mule compared to the sigpro in the same caliber. it may be time for a new spring. :roll:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Captain Ray said:
I love my XD.. and my next pistol will most likely be another XD (sub compact, .40 because I need one!) But you have your 1911 people (I used to use those in the navy.. the Colt .45 which rattled like nobody's business.. but always went "bang") or the Ruger people that swear that the P series cant be beat! (A buddy of mine has a Ruger P-89 that I consider to be a complete pos... but don't dare tell him that.. he loves that thing!) and of course the H&K people.. who must be made of money! I would have loved to own a H&K P-7... But I can't afford a months pay to get one!
Not one bit opinionated are you? Just an FYI, you may think a P89 is a POS, but I have had mine for quite a while and I would guess I have put about 15000 rounds (maybe more) through it. I have NEVER had a jam, FTF, FTE, FTfire, etc. It eats everything.

The last few weeks alone I just finished my 8th box of WWB. No cleaning. Nothing. I ran through 2 boxes of WWB in it today. I have heard the anti Ruger bashing. They can't hit the braod side of a barn, etc. Well, for IDPA I shoot the P89. I have no problem up against other pistols. In fact, I would not hestitate to carry a P89 if it was life and death situation.

You may want to say, that I am biased. Well, let me assure you that I have my choice of pistols to pick-up and take shooting. It never fails, I take some and I leave some. The P89 is always with me at a range.

Interesting. Today when I went shooting, the P89 got to go for a ride. The XD stayed had to stay at home. Lets see, the last three times I have been shooting this past months, the Ruger has been there everytime. How many trips has the XD gotten? None.

-Dana

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
[quote="astronwolf"

Local gun shop http://thegunrunner.com/

-Wolf[/quote]

I looked at this link, I decided to look closer at the calendar just for fun. Did anyone else notice that Miss Dec 2005 is holding a .45 Gyrojet pistol?!? WOW!! Rare find. For those who do not know, the Gyrojet pistol fired small rockets that had spin induced by canted exhaust nozzles in the rear. The used them (the rifle version at least) in the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice" with Sean Connery.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
well.. I understand that you like your P-89 Dana, and there is nothing wrong with that.. I didn't care for it much. The ergonomics of the pistol were not right for me, and it rattles.. I don't like that. Much as those Colt .45's that I shot in the NAVY.. they were very loose, and it just didn't feel right having a fire-arm jiggle like the ones I picked up did.

But, that being said, my buddy, like you, LOVES the P-89! Which is fine.

And don't think I am a "Ruger" basher.. they make a great 10/22 carbine that I have enjoyed shooting very much!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Think of the powder burns!! :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts