Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a post yesterday about a guy that was asking about a mag loader for the XD due to him cutting his finger while loading a mag. Went to the range today with my new Glock 38 45GAP and my new XD Tactical 45 GAP to shoot them for the first time. The Glock mag loader works like a champ with the XD magazines and CDNN sells those thing for only a couple of bucks.

(Hope the wife doesn't see the charges on our Visa card before I'm able to pay those charges off after buying those guns.) LOL

I didn't have any problems with the Glock FTF or FTE but 3 out of every 5 ejected cases hit me in the forehead all day long. Lucky I had my shooting glasses on due to several cases hit the lenses. I'm sorry I can not say the same about the XD. I had a FTF with both mags every time I closed the slide with the slide release. The first round would hit the feed ramp jamming the whole gun. After clearing the jam I noticed if I pulled the slide to the rear and released it. The gun would always feed the first round every time. I know it's not an unpolished feed ram causing the problem because there smooth as glass and shine like a mirror. SO WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO CLOSE THE SLIDE ON A FULL MAG WITH THE XD? Do I always have to pull the slide back and release it to get it to work? It sure would slows down quick mag changes by not using the slide release in an emergency.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Open up your feed lips of your magazines about a 100th of an inch. Your feed lips are to close making the rounds hit the feed ramp too low.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The "standard" doctrine is to always drop the slide on any loaded mag by and overhand grab of the slide an yank. The rationale is that this is much easier to do under stress than hit the slide stop, and the speed difference is inconsequential. So I guess your answer is the "proper" way to drop a slide on most any pistol is the overhand rack, and the slide stop is just for those times when your other arm is busy bleeding or being broken or whatnot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts