• Springfield Ranger Officer

• Kimber Custom Target II

Springfield Range Officer vs Kimber Custom Target II

23K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  mwb 
#1 ·
Straight up.

#2 ·
Springfield ALL the way!!

I was browsing another forum the other night. (The High Road.org) And there was a huge thread of "What is the worse autopistol you have ever owned" Within the first 5 pages KIMBER 1911 came up 15 times!! :shock:

Where there is smoke there has got to be some kind of fire. And they only come with a 1 year warranty?? What is up with that?? :confused:

For me and that kind of $$$$....I will steer clear of them.

#5 ·
Don't let the "1-year warranty" deter you. There are a growing number of threads around here of people talking about Kimber honoring their warranty long after it was up. I for one have had my custom II for almost 2 years with 1k+ rounds through it without a single issue. I have never shot an RO so I can't argue for or against it (although I'm sure it's a great gun) but I have nothing but good things to say about my Kimber. Don't just listen to what you read on other forums. Check out a gun and put some round downrange before you make that decision.

#7 ·
I understand what chameleon is saying.

But I'd go for the RO, mainly for the warranty.
SA - Lifetime
Kimber - 1 year, and they might or might not repair it after that.

I've owned 1 Kimber (sold it) and 1 SA 1911 (EMP), carry it.
For the price and what you get the RO seems like a pretty sweet deal.

My dealings with SACS were flawless.
I'll buy another SA 1911 before I buy another Kimber.:D

#9 ·
A buddy of mine owns a security company and also works for it. On duty he carries a Kimber he just bought, first range trip, front site flew off. Also had feeding issues. So he sent it back to Kimber, the custom shop called him, told them they put new sites on, did some polishing and some tuning to the pistol. Well, he got it back and the gun is STILL running like crap. He isn't using crap mags either, Chips, kimbers, colts, anything you can think of. But I have also shot Kimbers and had feeding issues as well. Its not a gun I would spend money like what they want. As for the RO, I have no idea, but I'd try it out for sure.

#11 ·
I had 2 Kimber TLE/RL II and both had zero malfunctions,I sold both off because I was tired of the fullsize 1911's.I now carry a Kimber Ultra Aegis that has been 100% for over 700 rounds,but I recently purchased a Springfield Range Officer that outshoots both fullsize Kimber's I had.So I voted for the RO.

#13 ·
Damn. I must be doing something wrong. After more than 9 years I have not been able to get my Kimber to fall apart, fail to fire, fail to eject, fall out my holster or cause me to contract bird flu.
Oh come on. Surely your frame cracked at least once! I have to admit that my Pro lost a plunger tube. It took 7k rounds but it did break. Strangely enough, my Kimbers have never been back to the factory even though 2 Springers had to be sent back. Go figure.

#14 ·
I know this is a WAY OLD thread, but I was looking for some more reviews on the comparison.

Should I just start a new one?

#17 ·
Range Officer.

My Kimber Pro Carry II :
Lost front sight 3rd range trip.
Split aluminum frame length wise right rail after 2000 rounds.
Kimber would not warranty repair it, said it's not made to take that many rounds.
Front sight still is loose once I got it back. Had to use Gorilla glue to keep it in place.
I will never deal with Kimber again, all looks, no substance.

#18 ·
I ended up buying a SA RO 45

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.