Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was all set to buy a beautiful new Springfield Pro today at my LGS, which I've never seen in stock before, but I had to stop short after looking the gun over to make sure everything looked right. :( The gun looks brand new as advertised everywhere on the outside. The Black-T finish on the part of the barrel exposed in the ejection port is 100% intact, no wear marks on the trigger from contact with the frame, etc.

But when I pulled back the slide I noticed the finish was somewhat worn at the muzzle. It's hard for me to believe a brand new gun would have seen that much friction between the barrel and the bushing in its short life, but maybe that's the way Pros are. I've never seen a new one before so I don't know.

Is that normal? Are Pros test fired a lot before leaving SACS? Or can fitting the bushing to the barrel cause a fair amount of wear to the barrel's finish even without much test firing? I wish I had a photo to share, but I didn't think to take one at the time because I was only thinking about how disappointed I was. I hope I'm wrong to be concerned!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi all, I was all set to buy a beautiful new Springfield Pro today at my LGS, which I've never seen in stock before, but I had to stop short after looking the gun over to make sure everything looked right. :( The gun looks brand new as advertised everywhere on the outside. The Black-T finish on the part of the barrel exposed in the ejection port is 100% intact, no wear marks on the trigger from contact with the frame, etc.

But when I pulled back the slide I noticed the finish was somewhat worn at the muzzle. It's hard for me to believe a brand new gun would have seen that much friction between the barrel and the bushing in its short life, but maybe that's the way Pros are. I've never seen a new one before so I don't know.

Is that normal? Are Pros test fired a lot before leaving SACS? Or can fitting the bushing to the barrel cause a fair amount of wear to the barrel's finish even without much test firing? I wish I had a photo to share, but I didn't think to take one at the time because I was only thinking about how disappointed I was. I hope I'm wrong to be concerned!
It is normal when you have a tight barrel to bushing fit. Just buy it. The Pro is a grail gun for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's good. The bushing/barrel fit is metal on metal otherwise the finish would wear off increasing the tight tolerance you payed for.
My Pro is exactly like that.
Buy it!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is normal when you have a tight barrel to bushing fit. Just buy it. The Pro is a grail gun for me.
It's good. The bushing/barrel fit is metal on metal otherwise the finish would wear off increasing the tight tolerance you payed for.
My Pro is exactly like that.
Buy it!!!
Thanks y’all! I’m glad I was wrong to be worried about it. So far my other 1911s have all had stainless steel or carbon steel barrels left unfinished so this caught me off guard a little.

I’ll be waiting at the LGS tomorrow morning before they open to make sure I get it! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts