Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have saved up enough to get either and while I really like the look and feel of the Kimber I also, like the good feedback folks are leaving about the Springfield. Either choice would be in black not SS. This is a real hard choice as it will be my first 1911 purchase and while it will be used of home defense mostly I still want something of a conversation piece with a few close friends.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Operator

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Fine choices. The big difference I would think would be do you need the rail on the Operator versus the front strap checkering on the Raptor?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
At this level it's going to come down to personal preference. Both are great guns and both will do the same thing and feel great doing it. Which gun do you like the looks of more? Also, Do you like the scale slide serrations of the Kimber over the standard serrations on the Operator or vise versa? If it was put to a vote I would personally vote Kimber only because I've put over 1k rounds through mine without a single issue.

Also before someone says it, yes the Springer has a lifetime warranty as where the Kimber has a "one year warranty" but if that's the deciding factor then note that you will see more and more threads around here of people talking about how Kimber honored the warranty on their pistol way after it was up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fine choices. The big difference I would think would be do you need the rail on the Operator versus the front strap checkering on the Raptor?
Exactly. I like front strap checking to assist in grip, but I also like the ability to add a light down the road. I originally was set on getting the Loaded model until I saw and held both of these other ones. I am leaning toward the Raptor just on looks alone.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm not sure why you are deciding between those two models as they aren't really similar. The SA TRP vs Raptor, or Operator vs Warrior would be better comparisons.

It's really up to you as to which one you want, but my recommendation is always going to be Springfield over Kimber. They are better, or at a minimum just as good as Kimber, a better value and they have a better warranty and customer service.

If you want checkering and a rail there is always the TRP Operator. ;)

·
Registered
822 Posts

Hope that helps, just picked it up 2 weeks ago, only have 100 down range but zero failures on the Kimber mag. I went to the gun shop, couldn't find a SA so i went with the Kimber Raptor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a TRP over the weekend and I took it Sunday....It is incredible .....Very little recoil and accurate as hell!!!!! If you get the Operator, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. 100 down the range and no failures. :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
Spring for the Springfield TRP, they are awesome.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I ended up getting the Loaded as it was what I could afford after a few money pits around the house last week. I am totally happy non-the-less. Now to get to the range and break it in.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Pics ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Both your choices are excellent but due to the tack rail on them, a standard 1911 holster will not accept either of those. Sure you could probably put it in some sort of a sack but it would not perform correctly. If and when you are ready for a great performing holster give us a call.
Michael Kole Custom Holsters
970 819 4465
[email protected]

I have saved up enough to get either and while I really like the look and feel of the Kimber I also, like the good feedback folks are leaving about the Springfield. Either choice would be in black not SS. This is a real hard choice as it will be my first 1911 purchase and while it will be used of home defense mostly I still want something of a conversation piece with a few close friends.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Congratulations on your choice as well. Albeit more $$$'s than I needed to spend, I'll hopefully have my TRP Operator by either Saturday or Tuesday. All great guns.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I vote for Operator. Just for the difference in the guarantee.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Do you need the rail? If not, then I'd say go with the TRP or Raptor. Both are both great guns. You won't go wrong with either. I have a few Raptors and a TRP that's been to the SACS. Love'em all. :D

SACS TRP

And Raptor family photo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts