Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone sent their XD or XDM to Springfield to get sights put on? As I sit here waiting until next Wednesday to pick up my XDM, I've been contemplating upgrading the sites. I'm leaning towards tritium but wanted to know how that stacks up with a fiber optic set. Any thoughts?

Anyways, the shop where I purchased the XDM said they won't put sights on it. Something about the warranty and Springfield not wanting a lot of people to do things to the handgun or something like that...So I'm thinking I'd just send it to Springfield to let them do it, especially since it's about the same price. Just wondered, how long I should expect to wait?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I recently sent my XDm in for new Dawson Fiber Optic sights and an action job. The turnaround was less than 2 weeks and the work was done with care. There were no visible marks on the slide or frame from the sight installation or the action job. The sights were well centered and shot to center with a bias towards the 6 o'clock hold on a bullseye at 15 yards. I suspect they would be centered to point of aim at 25 yards. Since they are adjustable the user may adjust to his or her own preference for hold. The front sight is much higher than the originals, which were returned in a little plastic sack along with some extra red front sight inserts for the new sight. There are no extra green rear sight inserts, (which are curved into a horseshoe shape so one piece produces two visible dots while having enough surface area to produce the same apparent light to the eye as the front sight) but those are well protected and hopefully will never need replacing. At the outdoor range they show up well (even on the very overcast day I tried them out) and the front sight height seemed to lend itself to quick acquisition in long strings of fire.

The action job was a pleasant relief to the "out of the box" trigger. The weight of pull, length of pull, and reset distance were all markedly reduced. Though I have no pull guage at the moment, experience tells me the trigger hovers around 4lbs now and I no longer am threatened with a blister on my trigger finger from extended range sessions. Fast doubles with accuracy are a lot easier now.

I was happy with the work they did and since it also keeps up the lifetime warranty I am glad I did it, and would do it again. My service model XD's being older and quite well used, may not get the factory treatment though... I might order some trigger parts from Springer for at least one of them and give that a try and save a few bucks. The overnight shipping alone was about two thirds of the cost of a trigger kit from Springer.

Strangely, Springer lists their trigger parts as for the XD (perhaps they mean the 5" tactical) the Compact (I think this is the 4 inch "service model") and the sub-compact. If a Springer rep reads this perhaps he or she will confirm or correct my assumptions on that because it was confusing at least to me since I have always known the full size or 5" as the Tactical and the 4" as the Service model not a compact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, not to Springfield, but I had mine (XD45 4") replaced with the Trijicon night sights by a professional gunsmith near me in Georgia. Apparently the stock dovetail sights are notoriously difficult to remove. Two shops/armories had to turn me away claiming they'd gummed up XD slides in the past. I eventually brought the job over to my regular (rather expensive) gunsmith. He machined out the original sights and did an incredible job. I’m told the warranty is still valid.

Before you go sending anything off, I’d highly recommend trying to find someone local. It'd certainly be faster and probably cheaper. Any full-on professional can do the job in an hour (or less if no machining is required).

As far as deciding whether or not to change out your sites, I couldn't be a bigger advocate for tritium, specifically Trijicon’s tritium night sights. Even in normal daylight conditions I find the white sight rings around the tritium tubes far superior to the standard solid white dots on the original sights. Miracle sights they ain’t, but I credit my improved acquisition speed and accuracy at distance to ‘em. Off the range I'm impressed with the balance of the glow intensity and the level of edge-precision in the lamps. The glow, in both blackout and low light conditions, is neither too bright and obnoxious nor too faint and indiscernible. The edge or border of the tritium tubes is also more precise and better defined than the edges on some other tritium products (e.g. the markings on the bezel of a Luminox timepiece).

The most insightful feedback I found on the tritium sights before I switched was an online review written by a LEO. In short, he claimed the only thing he would do differently is change the color of the front sight. I wasn't completely convinced, yet I went with his advice anyway and got the orange rear/green front configuration. He was spot on - the duel-color configuration is definitely the way to go.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own 2 of the old versions and changed my own sights, but the sights on the XDm were too tight for me to try it. The original sights were okay, but I prefer some sort of night sights. I got a set of Heinie's and had a local gunsmith shanged them for me for $25. He offered me $20 for the old sights, so having no need for them I let them go.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
The sights were well centered and shot to center with a bias towards the 6 o'clock hold on a bullseye at 15 yards. I suspect they would be centered to point of aim at 25 yards.
If you go to the XD pistols section of SA's website and download the manual check out page 40.

"Shooters may use a “point of aim” sight picture at 25
yards (See Figure 40-1). This means that, at 25 yards, the
bullet should impact the target at the point visible at the
top of the front sight. Shooters may also use a “6 o’clock”
sight picture to strike the center of the target. Springfield
Armory® firearms are designed to use the “6 o’clock” sight
picture at 25 yards (See Figure 40-2). However, some
firearms may shoot “point of aim” at 25 yards depending
on shooter and ammunition. Changing brand or type of
ammunition may alter point of impact.​
Note:​
Use only clean, dry, original, high-quality,

commercially manufactured ammunition."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys. This is my first handgun, so this is all kinda new to me. I found the list of custom things the Springfield custom shop can do, and they have a bunch of different night sight options. They only list the Trijicon sights with both the front and rears in green, but I like the idea of the different colors. I suppose I'll give them a ring and see if they'll do that. Maybe I can just purchase the sights and ship them to Springfield also and have them mount those. Should be the exact same as what they offer except different colors.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gander mountain will install the trijicons for free when you buy the sights from them for a limited time. The gunsmith there showed me the special tools for the xd because I mentioned my local gunshop would not do them due to the front sights being so tight and not wanting to ruin the slide. Im going to have gander do mine

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If you go to the XD pistols section of SA's website and download the manual check out page 40.

"Shooters may use a “point of aim” sight picture at 25
yards (See Figure 40-1). This means that, at 25 yards, the
bullet should impact the target at the point visible at the
top of the front sight. Shooters may also use a “6 o’clock”
sight picture to strike the center of the target. Springfield
Armory® firearms are designed to use the “6 o’clock” sight
picture at 25 yards (See Figure 40-2). However, some
firearms may shoot “point of aim” at 25 yards depending
on shooter and ammunition. Changing brand or type of
ammunition may alter point of impact.

Note:
Use only clean, dry, original, high-quality,
commercially manufactured ammunition."

Yes, Ghost-Scout, quite right, and if I recall correctly, I was using some 155grn reloads at the time, and was only at 15 not 25 yards which could account for the "semi-6 o'clock" hold to hit the bullseye. I should have mentioned ammo would make a difference I suppose, but the sights being adjustable, and me having no idea what ammo they used to test the gun, and my being at 15 and not 25 yards, I didn't mention it at that time. The hits were centered though which says something about the care of the installation which is what I was most interested in at the time.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I should have added that though I probably could have changed the trigger parts myself, I do not currently have a sight pusher designed specifically for the XD, let alone the XDm, and the sights on the XD family of pistols are notoriously tight. Rather than risk maring the surface of the new gun or beat up the old or new sights, I sent it in and had them do both the action job and sights all at once.

If you are contemplating night sights with glass inserts, then it is almost imperative that you use some professional services who will guarantee the work, not break the sights, and not mar the gun.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I own 2 of the old versions and changed my own sights, but the sights on the XDm were too tight for me to try it. The original sights were okay, but I prefer some sort of night sights. I got a set of Heinie's and had a local gunsmith shanged them for me for $25. He offered me $20 for the old sights, so having no need for them I let them go.

Did you get the straight 8's? Do you like them and do they match the appearance of the factory sights well? Any pics of your Xdm?:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts